Aleen Bailey $igns Up Big!

Bailey signs $ million agreement
posted: 2005-02-16 08:43:50

OLYMPIC GAMES relay gold medallist Aleen Bailey has signed a four-year multi-million dollar agreement with tele-communications provider Digicel.

During the contract signing ceremony, which took place at the Eden Gardens’ poolside in Kingston, commercial director at Digicel, Harry Smith, said his company would provide Bailey with incentives for medals achieved at all major athletic championships.

“Digicel has committed itself to a four-year agreement with Aleen Bailey which will run until 2008,” said Smith.

“In addition, we have committed contract incentives for her medal achievements at all major athletic meets over the next four years. This covers her individual medals at the World Games in 2005 and 2007, the Olympics Games in Beijing, as well as her participation in relay events at the Olympics.”

Bailey’s involvement with Digicel was due largely to her performance at the Athens Olympic Games.

“Since the Olympic Games she has been a much sought after public speaker who gives hope and encouragement to youngsters all across Jamaica,” Smith said.

A delighted Bailey said: "I just want to very briefly say how pleased I am to be in partnership with Digicel, a company with its fingers on the pulse of the younger generation in Jamaica. “Digicel is on the cutting edge of communication technology and on sponsorship and community involvement. I am proud to represent Digicel,” said Bailey, who has joined fellow Olympian Usain Bolt as a spokesperson for the company.

Bailey’s contract signing was witnessed by local manager Carmen Clarke, parents Maude and Dudley Bailey, her two brothers, Capleton (Clifton Bailey) and Delroy “Little Capes” Bailey, and her assistant coach, Patrick Dawson.

Its Good to see track athletes are making some real money. All that hard work pays off.