Alcohol's performance influence

Absolutely agree; and I made it a point to clarify that exact sentiment to the team.

As far as what dose has the potential to negate 14 days of training effect- I’d suspect something in the vicinity ‘animal housed’

I guess I’m still looking for an answer about “moderate drinking” (</= 2 drinks?) and performance…

Yes, I am stupid, so any potential attacks are anticipated and pre-appreciated. I’m going through robin1’s big article there and trying to make my brain work.

If I have a glass of 18 y.o. Nicaraguan rum after some nice tempo work, am I damning myself to the same huge % decrease in strength we see in robin1’s study? Or do we just have no inferences about that because the study isn’t focused on tempo-type work?

I guess I’m just making the assumption that if I have to (no, of course I don’t REALLY HAVE to) drink a glass of 18 y.o. Nicaraguan rum, it’s better to do it on a tempo day than a sprint/strength day.

Yes?

Have a beer or two even ten if you like. I’d say it’s up to you to figure it out what works best for you.
If I have ONE small beer (330ml-11.5fl oz) after a hard day I feel much better the day after. I sleep better and therefore recover much more.

Three or four beer on the other hand and I have a horrible sleep and almost non recovery…

Same here.

1 drink isn’t going to kill you. Drinking is generally not part of an optimal athletic lifestyle, but starving yourself of enjoyment and sociality isn’t either and a lot of dedicated athletes go too far that way. I’m guilty of that myself. I don’t drink often, but instead of being crazy about never touching a drink, I do imbibe on a drink or two on special occasions or on an occasional weekend, especially during the fall. I’ve had much more success, better recovery, and am happier with myself (on the track and off) with this set-up. Ironically, I had much worse recovery overall and had more regular overtraining and staleness symptoms when I didn’t.

The idea that you’ll lose 14 days of training effects or loose massive strength from a single drink are just completely baseless in any real situation (most studies are done by having someone doing a hard workout and then drinking copious amounts of alcohol after without any proper nutrition, hydration, or anything else–what result is to be expected?). There are plenty of powerlifters, strongmen, and throwers that are or were heavy drinkers to the point of alcoholism and they still won medals. Not ideal, shouldn’t be done for optimal performance, etc., but a gold is a gold, so a limited number of drinks not too often it isn’t killing the training effect that drastically. Hell, BEN drank beer on the weekends with some regularity outside of the season and a bunch of HSI members are/were known to party with regularity, so it can’t be too bad.

I actually know one or two elite sprinters that have ended up in AA (not the Australian athletics federation either). The funny thing is that they ran faster when they weren’t dry.