Achilles tendinopathy

Since my achilles tendinopathy has recently flaired up again, I’ve been doing some more research on this condition and thought I’d share some of my findings in case they can be of benefit to others.

For the last decade, daily progressive eccentric loading has been the gold standard therapy for achilles tendinopathy: 3x15 eccentric heel drops with straight knee plus 3x15 reps with bent knee done twice daily for every day over a 12 week period. That’s 180 reps per day or 1260 reps per week!

Similar results were achieved in one study with a high volume of static stretching twice a day. However, I believe this can have deleterious effects on the functioning of the muscle tendon complex, as static stretching reduces muscle strength and makes tendons more compliant (stretchy), while a sprinter needs them to be stiff.

A recent paper, however, has shown that “heavy slow resistance” (HSR) training provides the same or even better results. The study used three different soleus and gastroc exercises (standing and seated calf raise and calf raise in a leg press machine) with weights increasing and reps decreasing (from 3x15 in the beginning to 4x8 towards the end) every couple of weeks or so. Each rep takes 6s, whith 3s used for the eccentric and 3s for the concentric phase. They only trained 3x per week (instead of 14x), which resulted in better compliance of the participants to the training protocol. After twelve weeks, the HSR group had equal or better results than the eccentric group, despite a significantly lower total training volume (405 reps per week). Both groups resumed their normal exercise routines 3 weeks into the study, so the last 9 weeks of the program took place while the subjects were engaged in sports. Anything that didn’t cause more than mild pain right after or the day following exercise was allowed.

Training only three times per week makes sense to me, as intense eccentric loading of tendons results in net collagen loss for the first 36-48 hours, after which there is net collagen synthesis until about 72h post exercise. This also suggests to me that people who are prone to achilles problems should ideally only subject their achilles tendons to intense loading once every 72h.

Others have researched optimal training protocols to strengthen/stiffen/thicken the achilles tendon. A protocol involving 5x4 near-maximal 3s isometric contractions of the calf muscles 4x per week (i.e. 80 reps per week) was found to be most effective. Longer or shorter (including plyometric) loading was less effective. Only the duration, type (isometric and plyometric) and intensity (moderate or high) of the contractions were modified to find the optimal protocol, so whether the frequency and volume of training they used is ideal remains to be seen. I would have gone for fewer sessions per week, due to the reasons described above.

Another paper looked at how long it takes for structural changes to occur in the achilles tendon in response to training. Significant changes were seen after two months. It only took one month to lose all the gains made in 3 months of achilles tendon strengthening, which suggests to me that athletes with achilles issues should train them all year round.

Interestingly, a study conducted on soccer players showed that eccentric exercise resulted in increased collagen synthesis in diseased but not in healthy tendons. This suggests to me that the tendon strengthening effect of purely eccentric contractions may plateau once the tendon is healed. Isometric loading, on the other hand, results in strengthening and thickening of healthy tendons, which may make it more useful as an ongoing preventative exercise.

To ensure I get the best of all worlds, I am thus now using a combination of eccentric, HSR and isometric exercises 3x a week, with a total volume of about 300 reps per week (120 eccentric reps, 120 HSR reps and 60 isometric reps). I do these exercises immediately after sprint training or at least 48h after and 48h before sprint training to avoid a state of continuing net collagen loss.

On a positive note, my plantar fasciitis has improved to a point were it is not affecting my training anymore. I get some pressure discomfort in my heel which starts a few hours after a sprint session, but am perfectly fine again the next day.

Some references:

Heavy Slow Resistance Versus Eccentric Training as Treatment for Achilles Tendinopathy: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
Beyer R, Kongsgaard M, Hougs Kjær B, Øhlenschlæger T, Kjær M, Magnusson SP.
Am J Sports Med. 2015 Jul;43(7):1704-11. doi: 10.1177/0363546515584760. Epub 2015 May 27.

Human Achilles tendon plasticity in response to cyclic strain: effect of rate and duration.
Bohm S1, Mersmann F1, Tettke M2, Kraft M2, Arampatzis A3.

Eccentric rehabilitation exercise increases peritendinous type I collagen synthesis in humans with Achilles tendinosis.
Langberg H1, Ellingsgaard H, Madsen T, Jansson J, Magnusson SP, Aagaard P, Kjaer M.

excellent post

[b]
I was just reading this and I wondered if you had seen it or remembered it.

“Soviet Research has shown that EMS can increase blood Flow to tendons by up to 45%” ( Page 165 Charlie Francis Training System)

That number is not only mind blowing but too amazing to ignore.

Have you tried any EMS at all?[/b]

Is that EMS applied directly to the tendon or to the muscle it attaches to? I’m sure any type of exercise involving the muscles a tendon attaches to will increase blood flow to that tendon. There have been some papers showing that nitroglycerin patches (the types that are used for people suffering from angina pectoris to increase blood flow to the heart) placed over the sore spot of a diseased tendon can improve the results of a standard rehab protocol, although some other studies have found no such effect. I have used them in the past, although I’m not sure if results would have been different without them.

I have tried EMS applied to the muscle with an adductor tendon injury, but not for achilles tendinopathy. Again. It’s difficult to tell whether it did anything for me, as I have nothing to compare it to. The standard duration for a tendinopathy rehab program is 12 weeks, so anything you try you will have to do for a long time before expecting results.

EMS (or TENS) applied directly to an injured achilles tendon of rats has been shown to disrupt healing. Electroacupucture, however, had a positive effect in two studies. Overall, a number of reviews have concluded that there is insufficient evidence for the effectiveness of electrostimulation modalities in the treatment of tendon injuries.

[b]I’d do both and I would do it as routinely with as much method as training. You need to see the papers and understand what the methods are before you are able to judge for yourself. Anyone can perform a study.

How long and for what kind of duration did you use EMS for your other tendon injury.

Why is standard rehab 12 weeks? According to whom? I’d advise anyone to do as many things as possible and keep doing them for as long as possible.

TENS is a pain blocker. How would TENS have anything to do with healing? [/b]

I couldn’t find studies using EMS on diseased tendons, so I looked at TENS which was the most similar technology I could find studies on. TENS still applies an electric current to the tissues, although the characteristics of that current may differ.

I used EMS in massage mode on my adductors for a few weeks in an effort to accelerate healing of a partial tear to adductor longus and brevis tendons sustained during powerlifting training. I don’t know if it helped.

Twelve weeks is used as a standard duration for tendon rehab programs in many studies because you should be able to see evidence of effectiveness at this point. Tendons heal slowly, so any shorter and you may miss a positive effect of an intervention. A successful intervention should have the majority of study participants with chronic tendinopathy back to or near pre-injury activity levels within twelve weeks.

I don’t have time to elaborate, but two important points, firstly skipping is more specific rehab v eccentrics and use sports tapping.

Can you elaborate on the basis for your opinion regarding skipping? I haven’t seen any studies comparing eccentrics to skipping, but 3s isometrics were a lot more effective than skipping/plyometrics in building achilles strength in the cyclic strain study I cited above. The research seems to suggest that plyometric type contractions are too short to stretch tenocytes sufficiently to stimulate a lot of collagen synthesis and that high intensity loading for about 3s at a time is ideal. I personally haven’t seen much benefit from skipping. I have usually continued my sprint training to some degree while rehabbing achilles flare ups, so I guess that’s giving me enough plyometric type foot contacts (around 200 per foot per session including warm-up) to not derive further benefit from skipping.

Robin, how did you get tendonitis?

What therapies and or modalities are you currently using to treat your tendonitis?

I’ve been having bouts of achilles tendinopathy for six years now. The first time was from sled pulling, but there are probably many factors that contributed to it including age and genetics. As soon as I hit 30, I started getting tendon problems (achilles, adductor, hamstring) and my dad gets it whenever he engages in any kind of running training. Flare ups usually happen when I’m not taking enough rest between workouts that load the tendon. 6-12 weeks of rehab usually takes care of it.

Robin,
Did you read my recent blog that was inspired by your post about your achilles? My suggestion to you is what might you be doing to continue to have a problem?
How many bike and pool and non track workouts are you doing per week?
Charlie had a NHL client.
The player has become extremely well known and very successful.
Post 2010 I learned the reason CF no longer worked with this player.
CF strongly disagreed to the volumes of Olympic lifting this athlete wanted to perform.
At the time I just remember not working with this client any longer.
I learned of this story from the players parent.
My jaw dropped when I heard this but it did not really surprise me and it was this trait that is generally rare but CF knew what he knew and he learned the hard way on many points and he was not prepared to pretend he was okay with another persons plan. ( a person that wanted to lift but had little experience or idea of any of the implications )
For most people, there is VERY little room for high volumes of weights that are inappropriately performed in the sprint training program.
I am not sure if this post is helpful but tendonitis of all kinds is almost always preventable.

Hi Angela, can you please send a link to your blog post? I can’t find one for achilles tendinopathy. Before I started having tendon issues (ie before I hit my 30s) I used to do three HI and two tempo days a week. Afterwards I changed it to two HI and two tempo sessions. I managed to train for 9 months without tendon issues like that last year. Then I got a mild adductor strain and did too much/too frequent plyometric work while I was unable to run. A couple of weeks later the Achilles tendon started acting up again. I rehabbed it and was ok again for four months until I had a mild hamstring strain. The alternative training I did as a result caused plantar fasciitis. This must have affected my biomechanics causing the achilles tendon to flare up again. Using the protocol described above its on its way to recovery now. While rehabbing I always replace tempo by bike or pool workouts. The bike workouts are not working well for me though, as I got 0.5s slower when using them instead of tempo runs. I’m now doing pool instead of bike, and will have to see if that’s more effective. Atm. I’m doing one HI and one pool workout every three days (ie. Sprints and lower body weight - pool and upper body weights - off - repeat). Once my achilles is back to normal I might do two HI sessions, one tempo running session and one tempo pool session per week. This way I can make sure that I never load my achilles (and other tendons) without having taken at least 48h rest since the last running workout.

Go to the store, on the upper right you will see Ange’s Blog.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/blogs/news/80983364-7-tips-to-avoid-sprinting-injuries

Any one who is having frequent injuries needs to read this. Anyone who wants to avoid athletic injuries needs to read this.

Robin1.

I had been thinking about your initial post with all the research you shared and I was trying to figure out how best to say what I wanted to say to you.

The blog was in part about trying to tell you something. I also felt it was a decent summery with arrows on where to go once you read the post.

I get frustrated with how simple some of the information is that I post in my blogs. Until I had a friend of mine who was a professional athlete tell me that I think it’s simple because it was drilled into my head for so long it’s normal for me and therefor it’s not worth sharing.

There is so much I don’t know about you to properly assess what exactly is going on. What I will tell you is it’s fairly classic to see patterns of habits that go along with the injury incidence that you are experiencing. I am not sure if this is helpful or annoying that I am pointing it out but my aim is to teach you something I think I know based on my experience.

I will share with you that I had countless frustrating conversations and arguments with Charlie about some of the things I hear people talk about regarding preventable injuries ( best examples of preventable injuries are TENDONITIS of any kind). I’ve talked about this before but simple things that are not simple at all. Wearing the proper shoes 24/7. ( no brainer to me but people have no idea how bad so many shoes are for our feet. And if our feet are tired and sore and lacking cushion we are putting overload in the very area we need to protect almost more than any other place as it’s the end point or beginning point ( depending on how you look at it) for shock absorption.

Robin,

Is/was the plantar fascititis on the same foot as this achilles issue?

If so, I would suspect there is likely nerve entrapment issues that need to be addressed, with the easiest way through electro-acupuncture. If locations are selected correctly, can stimulate the medial and lateral plantar nerves coming off of the tibial nerve, as well as stimulating the tibial nerve behind the knee to treat the lower leg flexors likely to be involved with the achilles (gastroc, soleus, tibialis posterior, flexor digitorum longus).

Even if they were on opposite heels, exercises may help, but often times those issues are nerve related.

I had a soccer player come to me with achilles pain. Through specific testing of the foot, the flexor dig longus was the culprit. A 20 minutes needling sessions alleviated her problems that had bothered her for several weeks.

I would also add in some quality massage to the calf and foot. Quality doesn’t necessarily mean someone who can pummel the tissues with pressure, but someone who can reduce the tone without causing aggravation.

Finding someone who does electro-acupunture this way may be difficult. Finding an EMS unit and doing treatments on the calves may provide great benefit as an additional treatment method.

Thanks for the article Angela. I have been having achilles issues this year. WHen they are warm im good. THey get cold and I cant walk. I wear high socks to bed.
IM going to start using ems and ultra sound at night.

WHat are your thoughts on compression socks?

Chris,

You are welcome.

Check this out as well

.http://www.charliefrancis.com/blogs/news/81395972-8-extra-tips-to-manage-sprint-injuries

Esti,

This is a good post.

I’d like to know why you would say it’s possible that it’s a nerve entrapment?

I am guessing you are using test protocols to eliminate variables of the injury origin or at least try and understand more about how the injury manifested?

Good point about quality massage as well.

Are you currently practicing all of these therapies? Where do you practice? Locally or do you travel?

The popular approach is for practitioners to treat structural issues, which does the job most times. I see posts from Runners World, and many other social media posts related to various heel dysfunctions and every single one addresses structure through use of tennis balls, foam rollers etc. In the case of heel pain (both Achilles and PF would be put into one category), treating the tissues around it would address potential structural issues. I might suspect there would be a circumference difference between the two sides as well. When pain becomes chronic, compensation patterns occur to get around the painful movements. Lack of motion in the foot may cause atrophy of the lower calf muscles. If this is the case, the muscles need stimulation to regain function and atrophied muscles likely aren’t causing the issue directly.

Nerve issues can be addressed by functional testing of the muscles and joints. There are skeptics of manual muscle testing and joint testing, however, it’s proven extremely helpful time and time again for me. Just as the example I posted above with the soccer player with achilles pain after playing beach volley ball with friends one weekend, the big toe flexor was the site of dysfunction in my evaluation, and the treatment with electro-acu immediately took care of the pain. That muscle, and the nerve branch feeding the painful area, happened to be in an area common for entrapments. Alejandro Ellorriaga was the first to mention both heel issues being a result of entrapment and can be treated very similarly.

Are you saying many of the suspected cases of “achilles tendinopathy” and “plantar fasciitis” are often not achilles tendinopathy or plantar fasciitis and are only nerve entrapment with symptoms same as achilles tendionpathy and plantar fasciitis? I would think if one actually had AT or PF, the person wouldn’t be able to fully recover immediately just after treating the nerve entrapment with electro accupuncture. With a true AT or PF, longer time would be necessary to recover even if the root cause is addressed, right?