A different training split

I know that Charlie has based all of his training on a intenisve cns day and a restoration (easy on the cns) day, using sprints and tempo.

I have read that some coaches use a nerurological day (with sprints, like a cns intensive day) and metabolic day (training for the specific energy systems of their sport by doing agility drills and shuttles runs with moniterd rest intevals to address anearobic endurance).

My question is, would a split such as this possbily be more appropriate for football (could you even work tempo in on the met day), or would it be too much for an athlete.

I don’t see any difference in the two ways. They both have a CNS intensive day and a tempo day. There would be no point in doing agility work at sub-maximal levels on the tempo day.

Blinky,

So doing the shuttle runs don’t have an adverse effects on the CNS? I was under the impression that doing these would operate in no-mans land and hurt recovery. Do shuttle runs (i.e. 110’s, 40 shuttle, etc.) have the same effect on tempo runs?

It depends how fast you do them. If you do them slow (75%) then they are tempo. If you blast them out then maybe. You will soon know if they are hurting cns because your times on speed days will be down and you will feel flat.

I used to think this way, wondering how I could get better at a sport without doing “specific” energy system drills. The answer is simple… CNS work, takes care of the speed. And tempo work takes care of the endurance(and recovery). That’s all you need. There is no need for intermediate work.