5 reps or 3 reps to increase 1RM

David,
I’m certainly not challenging your point. However, I do have several questions. Why is it inefficient? The University of Nebraska Football has a period in their training where they go 80x4, 85x3, 90x 2-3.Do you consider that to be ineffective? Can you give an example of what you would consider an effective training system ?I consider the 3-1- 3 system to be sound.Do you?

Because the early sets cause fatigue that inhibits optimal performance in the later ones.

I agree.

Would’nt the same reasoning apply to a workout that calls for 3x10 at 70%? Would’nt set one and two fatigue you for the third set?Again, what about protocols that call for a pyramid effect but with smaller rep range difference?Let’s say a 87.5x3, 90 x 2,and 95 x1.Would’nt that workout be effective for someone peaking before an unloading week?How about the other questions? I hope I’m not coming off too pushy.just trying to learn and I value your opinion.
Thanks

load, 3x10 is different since you are targeting endurance qualities and therefore diminishing max force output is not as important. For max strength training, it is more important to recruit motor units maximally and therefore fatigue should not be in place. The 3x87.5, 90x2, 95x1 is better, but missing the 90x2 may be even better…the individual would have to experiment. Any comments?

THe gradient of a pyramid is specific to the exercise and individual, and is also variable over time. THis makes tight control of intensity difficult.

lifter A"s workout-
85%x1
95%x 1
100% x 1
lifter b’s workout-
90% -3x3
Lifter c"s workout-
80% x 4
85% x3
90% x 2-3
In regards to strength gains which is more beneficial?It is obvious that B has exerted the most effort but A has peaked for the final set. If the lifter does’nt exceed overtraining volume does’nt the one who perfoms the most effort make the greatest gains?

While there is no perfect system or even rep range it is important to point out, I feel, that if you don’t truly challenge your strength capacity with heavy, lower reps from time to time then you’ll never reach even close to maximal benefit. I see people all the time who do nothing but train in the range of 8-10 reps yet never progress to something which can be defined as strength work(80%+). Going as heavy as max or near max 3’s can prove to be beneficial provided it’s not done too often nor for too many consecutive weeks. I think many of us have seen people on the other side of the spectrum who attempt to max every time they are in the gym and also find themselves going nowhere(just as the 8-10 only group does) due to severe overtraining.

Ilike the guidelines the preiplin chart provides.

does’nt the one who perfoms the most effort make the greatest gains?
(load47)

Perhaps instead we should try to do the least possible while making satisfactoy gains, especially for a sprinter using weights as assistance exercises. Going for the maximum gains means you risk overuse injuries which can take a long time to rehab.

I agree. I struggle with David’s statement that a pyramid is an inefficient training system.I would contend that a 4,3 2 workout at 80,85,90 is one example of a pyramid design that is sound.It stays within the preiplin guidelines and hits percentages that are designed for strength gains without overtraining the athlete.My question still remains .What is wrong with this type of pyramid training design?

Athlete A:

1RM: 100k
2RM: 90k
3RM: 85k
5RM: 80k
8RM: 75k

The pyramid has a non-linear gradient. 5 @ 75k will be easy; 4 @ 80 moderate and 3 @ 85 maximum (and under fatigue!).

Consider also Athlete B

1RM: 50k
3RM: 47k
5RM: 45k

Now what?

I agree with David. I find pyramid based programs to be inefficient in terms of early sets actually wasting your total available energy for a given workout. Too often the early sets rather than preparing the body for higher quality work done during the work sets are at too high of a level to prepare and actually fatigue the body before you get to the heaviest sets. I see the first slope of the pyramid as being high enough(sets, reps, and weights) to actually compromise the top intensity possible in a workout. In my opinion, the earliest 2-3 sets should be placed in a workout to prepare the body for higher intensities in subsequent sets(warm-ups). Also, after a few weeks of pyramiding, where do you go with your workout then?

I agree with Davids points, also bear in mind that form generally goes out the window if one is trying to lift 100% or 105% for 1 and increases injury possibilities.
I think that over a 3 week course the reps should range between 5 and 3 as the volume decreases and intensity increases.
To stay at 5 or even 3 for 3 weeks of lifting has to be boring!
The only time I would reccomend true pyramiding (i.e. to 1 rep) is in the final session of the week or the last week of the 3 week cycle.

I like using the same rep range all the time, I think (hope) it makes the improvements or lack of recovery more apparent.