400m S-L questions

This concept was used by Gerrard Mach often in the GPP- ie 2 or 3 x [80m bound followed by 200m run followed by 50m running As]

It’s for quickness of the foot contact but that will result in reasonable height as well. You need to concentrate only on a sharp foot contact as air time needs to be completed before the next ‘pop’. If you rush the air time, you’ll spend too much time on the ground.

How can you do that?:confused: If a program is laid out with 12 weeks of workouts then it’s 12 weeks of workouts which cant be stretched unless you get hurt…

You have a GPP as well and a comp period which could stretch out for 6 to 8 weeks possibly. If your season ends in May, work backwards and see where that takes you.
If you start Nov1st and have an 8 week GPP, that would be pretty much it for the year. Entirely depends on your set up. You need to think this through for your own purposes.

Please apologize me, but the circled area is the “beige” part?

F.e. the actual workout for the very first monday looks like this?

[i]
4X10
4X20
4X20 blocks
4x60 (20E/20F/20E)

4X60
2.5’ rest
[/i]

For some sessions the volume seems huge, for example:

4X30
4X30 blocks
4x60 (7’ rest)
4x60 (20E/20F/20E)

Should these be run all out?

Thanks.

I see. Thanks.

I have done this session for the past 5-6 years and it is very effective. The only caveat is that the athlete needs to have developed competent bounding technique.

The part circled is light blue, not beige.

Beige is a light tan/light brown sort of color (kinda the skin tone of a caucasian).

It is the portion on the graph that is right below Power Speed I and directly right of Power Speed II. It is weeks 5-7 and it is 80, 60+80, 60+80 respectively.

Once the athlete begins to dread going to practice, it’s as good as over. Of course there are tough days, but a regular does of 600’s will make the typical sprinter/hurdler hate track. I say this from my personal experience and from speaking to former teammates. At the time none of us said a word. It was the 70’s and you simply didn’t speak up.

Look at programs with poor athlete retention and that is often the answer.

In one of the videos (SPP?), Charlie makes it clear that there shouldn’t be sharp lines of demarkation between GPP and SPP. Rather there needs to be a relatively seamless flow from one to the next. The applies to SPP to Comp as well. When you count back weeks, there may not be enough time to fully adhere to one of the plans. You often need to start with some methods from SPP a little earlier than you like. The jump/run/drill circuit can often be started during GPP for example.

The section in blue denotes alactic runs. These start out slightly sub max but become max by the end of the SPP.

My season is 12 weeks long. 6 of which have meets 2x/wk. I follow the template with the modifications for the first 6 weeks, then the meets serve as speed and SE for the remainder of the season, usually 5 weeks, with 7 day taper.

A s-L progression for SE would be

wk 1 ( ) x 60 30+m
wk 2 ( ) x60 40+m
wk 3 ( ) x 60 50+m
wk 4 ( ) x 60 50+m
wk 5 ( ) x 80
wk 6 ( ) x80
wk 7: meet 100 early, 200 later week
etc

for Speed, we’d follow the EFE and FEFs and finishing drills, then use 100s for speed work.

A SE meet would be either 2x200 or 100, 200, where a speed meet would be 100 100

400 runners would run an early 400, then focus on 200,200 in meets, with a 400 race on weekend for most of season. We peaked early with this template which goes back to one of my previous posts about the new charts.

Sfff, you guys are good at programing. I’m just a self trained athlete who is trying to make sense out of all this. It’s not difficult to understand but it’s just that when you start from zero knowledge, over the internet, you wind up reaching more road blocks on your path to understanding vs face to face dialog.

Anyhow, don’t mind me, carry on!

Charlie this is great stuff - the programme and the discussion around it. A few questions about the programmes (S-L & L-S) for anyone to answer…

1. On the L-S the green colour box indicates that this is HILLS ON GRASS - I take it that all boxes this colour are done as HILLS ON GRASS?

2. The saturday Strength Endurance has two distinct boxes - how are these reps performed? Are they displaying two separate sets eg one set grass hill and the other on the flat? What recoveries would we look for here?

3. Where do the volumes come from as I have tried adding up a number of different ways and dont seem to get the same vol figure? Maybe Im missing something obvious here!!

4. Looking at the GPP differences for 400m athlete compared to 100/200m athletes in preparation for this as a SPP programme, what differences would you see there being?

I never thought a graph could be so complicated.

Of that exact color, yes.

1. The saturday Strength Endurance has two distinct boxes - how are these reps performed? Are they displaying two separate sets eg one set grass hill and the other on the flat? What recoveries would we look for here?

Recoveries would be as long (and as short) as you need to be able to perform the next rep.

Two distinct boxes generally mean two distinct reps.

1. Where do the volumes come from as I have tried adding up a number of different ways and dont seem to get the same vol figure? Maybe Im missing something obvious here!!
    Are you including the tempo?
  1. Looking at the GPP differences for 400m athlete compared to 100/200m athletes in preparation for this as a SPP programme, what differences would you see there being?

I think Charlie said the GPP would be quite similar (ie if you have seen the GPP DVD and materials, the general outline would be the same), but with a greater focus on fitness obviously. To do this, one could have greater volumes of extensive tempo, medicine ball work, etc. That is the general idea since even 400m runners need a base of acceleration and speed work to build from in a S-L plan.

Thats great thanks, clears most things up…I hadnt incuded the tempo on the volumes but the number were pretty close just not quite there, if I added tempp the vol would be well over the total volume of what is written down at the side as the week speed/high int volume.

The volumes on the charts are high intensity runs only and do NOT include tempo. Add up all the starts and accels, hills etc across the week for the totals. One EFE or FEF = 60m. So for example week one has 28 x 60m = 1680 in 60s alone plus the shorter work to get the weekly total.

I know it looks a bit complicated at first but if you get used to all programs set up the same way, you can see at a glance if the volumes balance out when you are running both types of programs. You’re also right that you can set up the GPP in the same way and you can see how the speed volumes move steadily up to meet the SPP while the tempo vol will max out overall well within the GPP and be kept constant moving forward.

Yeah its just getting head around a newer look/system. Its really good to see it all coming together from the GPP video and sprint short to long information.

Do you recommend using spikes on the grass for the hill work?..we are in the UK and it cen get pretty wet and muddy under foot, so would struggle to get good purchase during the winter months without using spikes!

I would use an old pair of spikes for the hill work and for the initial speed work if you can still do it on the grass. In the UK, you’ll be going indoors at some point and will want to get as much done on the soft surface as you can before the option is gone.