400m S-L questions

I don’t see why you’d need a 400 template for a 100/200 athlete. Why not use the templates created for those events? If this is a first time into the longer territory for a 100/200 sprinter, it might indeed take too long to recover from the additional load and bring speed up fully.

Thanks

I’ll stick to what I had intended which is split runs leading into the 300’s and 600’s. I was just wondering whether it was possible to hit the 300’s and 600’s with a greater level of readiness and how that might have impacted on overall performance by season’s end.

Going back to the original thread. It does appear from the 400 s-to-l template that the components are pretty much in place for the athlete by the time the 12 weeks are up (and as was borne out by the 50.22 performance of the athlete). Where does the coach/athlete go from here in SPP2? Over and under distance work (e.g one session- 300’s another session- 500’s)? What about speed retention? The last 5 weeks saw the dropping of the 60’s and f-e-f runs. Does the athlete try to mix these in again even though the SE is intensifying further?

If the coach feels that the athlete is still in need of some speed work, what are the possible pitfalls in adding a max velocity day to the final 5 weeks of a set-up like the s-to-l 400m template (which reduces to two SE days and one strength endurance day due to the intensification of the special endurance)? If I separated the SE days from Monday and Thursday to Monday and Friday and put in 2x2 flying 20’s on a Wednesday could this work?

I would go with speed on the monday (when fresher) and speed endurance on wednesday and friday.

Thanks PhilG

So in principle you are saying that adding the extra speed day is not a problem.

Including speed is rarely a bad idea, particularly if you have identified a specific need. The speed endurance will not tax the cns the same as the speed would so you should be okay with the wed/fri combination. Just make sure the recovery occurs over the weekend to allow freshness by monday so the speed session is effective.

Thanks PhilG

F.e. the actual workout for the very first monday looks like this?

4X10
4X20
4X20 blocks
4x60 (20E/20F/20E)

4X60
2.5’ rest

For some sessions the volume seems huge, for example:

4X30
4X30 blocks
4x60 (7’ rest)
4x60 (20E/20F/20E)

You excuse I wanted to know the recovery among the 30 tests and then among the easy fast
thanks thousand
4X30
4X30 block
4x60 (7’ rest)
4x60 (20E/20F/20E)

What does everyone think of a program that would include the Short to Long Monday (done on monday) with the Long to short Thursday(done on Wednesday)?

I think it has definite possibilities.

I was thinking of it as a way of possibly getting quicker results with athletes who were either lazy during GPP or join the team late. I would increast the rest a bit on the monday’s to give the workouts more of a speed element. I can’t see it being too much on the CNS because of the long day…

I don’t know… I’m on week 6 of S-L, did the 3x100 and 3x100 yesterday and today I’m a CNS wreck :o
I think all sessions are hard, in their own ways. If my second SE session was a L-S type, I wouldn’t be too happy… don’t try to make this TOO difficult, is my opinion.
If you have late-comers or lazy people on the team who did not do a proper GPP, they can benefit from tempo and the SE as it is.

I’m with Stef I wouldn’t use it as a catch up.

I may just go straight short to long and use the meets as the second SE workout. Thanks for the imput guys.

I have a small indoor planning issue… I think I ran out of time? Anyway, so far, as soon as I finish my SPP program, I have to jump right into the 10 day taper thingy.

I’m doing the 400m Short to Long.
I did everything up to WEEK 6, and on week 7 I never got to the 300s. I got sick (fever and caughing), and I am still recovering (some caughing), so I decided that this will be my recovery week. And I named it WEEK 7

Prior to what follows, things were going smoothly, until I had to take 3 days off on New Years, the 2nd and the 3rd, due to sickness.

Then: (WEEK 7), where I’m cutting things in half due to de-load purposes:
Monday: Short Speed
Tuesday: caughing like a maniac and took off.
Wednesday: 4x300s tempo on grass.
Thursday: 200+100 (today)
Friday: half of tempo.
Saturday: 300+80
Sunday: half of Power Speed.
Monday: travel to Milan and will take it off, and then resume with WEEK 8?

I just want to make sure this seems right, according to racing schedule, as I’m not quite sure how early the spp should end, before the desired ‘peak’ date (Feb 27).

Racing schedule:
Feb 6 (qualifying race for Balcan Games; I’m giving it a shot). If all remains put, this would be the deload week after week 10.
Feb 13(second qualifying race for Balcan Games). WEEK 11
Feb 20. Indoor Balcan Games WEEK 12
Feb 27 Indoor Greek Nationals

To summarize…
With the above in mind, and considering that I will also need 1 de-load week after week 10, my first race on Feb 6th, falls nicely at the end of the deload week.

Then week 11: with the second race.
Week 12
And I barely create a 10 day taper for the Nationals on the 27th.

mmm… is this too tight? Sorry if it’s confusing…

My question is: What happens when spp is not followed by a pre-comp phase but jumps right into the 10 day taper? (and I don’t know how one plans a pre-comp phase, but anyway…)

We never really used a pre-comp phase- just SPP into comp so any plans you see from me tend to be set up that way. That meets will ake care of most training neeeds and recovey and low level work between should bring you to a peak.

I remember you mention during the outdoor season if the athlete is competing in the 100/200 every weekend you would only perform starts and maybe submax 150’s… What about indoors where the athlete is running the 60 every weekend and the 200 every other week, would you only perform starts and tempo?

Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

Stefanie (or anyone)

What are you going to do for SPP2? Will you keep it at two High Intensity SE days with perhaps shorter sprints up to 60 on one of those days to supplement the work? Will you be repeating the SPP? How have others approached preparation for the outdoor season after doing the 12 weeks?