400M IH training

I did a search about 400IH training and I really did not find anything too specific.

A question for anyone w/ exp training 400m hurdlers. Do you train like a 400m runner and add hurdle technique on certain days? Are there any good manuals to use as examples besides the scince of speed and hurdling by Mcfarlane? (and please no one mention CTFS ebook i have it already :slight_smile:

Thanks

You would train like a 100m runner except the special endurance would be a bit longer. You can do hurdle technique on tempo days (depending on the intensity of course), or you can lower the hurdles on speed days.

Regarding books:

2003 Forum reveiw has a section on 400m training I believe. http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=19

errrr, make that the 2002 forum reveiw…man oh man time flies!!!

Herb, I agree with you for the most part, but I think “a bit longer” is somewhat of an understatement. I think it might have been Charlie who said a 4 hurdler should do special endurance out to 600, because even though the race is 400, because of the hurdles the race pace is somewhat slower. Also you have to consider the step patterns which can only be practiced at race speed pretty much.

Thanks man… Thats what i was thinking too.I have the 02 FR too. I will look through it.

BTW…

Has any one experimented with the Chris Ts book (modern strength and power)? I just got it seems pretty cool.

Thanks

I trained for the 300IH this past season and would do 3-4 workouts a week depending on what point in the season it was. Typically I included one day of shorter speed work, one day of intermediate flat work, and one long day.

A longer day might have been 4x400, first 200 over hurdles, 2nd 200 flat.
Intermediate days would have been flat 300’s at pace, 200’s, 150’s, or 100’s over hurdles, and short days were usually flat, out to 100m unless I was getting in some short hurdle work.

Generally we trained just as if we were 400m runners, going over hurdles about half the time except on days specifically devoted to pacing when we would lower volume and do everything over hurdles.

I know that 300H and 400H are very different races, but if I hadn’t been injured I probably would have competed at nationals in the 400H and would have felt prepared. I found the speed component to be a greater factor than the endurance (duh, I guess.)

sorry this is kind of a rambling post

Cool thanks. I will lurk around your training log :smiley: and see whats good.

BTW are you starting college this fall?

Based on my personal experience:
I did run a couple of 400h this year being a 200/400 runner. Altough I probably lack some 400 endurance yet I think the 400h requires indeed even more speed/lactic endurance. So extending 400m training to 500/600 is a good idea.

For training I suggest think hurdles general (can include high hurdles as well) once a week, and Carvallo training (don’t know if anyone is familiar with it?) at least once a week. Furthermore add the “basic” 400m training.

Yes, I am going to Williams college where I will (probably) play field hockey and definitely be running two seasons.

A lot of 400IH race really well at 600/800m indoors. Joey Woody from Northern Iowa is a good example. I don’t know how that fits into the optimal periodization for the event though.

A reply to a PM question regarding 400m hurdles technique.

The data you ask for was published by Susanka 20 years ago but it is still in use and very helpful at training :

17 / 16 / 15 : number of strides between hurdles
185 / 190 / 195 : mean distance of takeoff before hurdles (cm)
132 / 138 / 145 : mean distance of touchdown after hurdles (cm)
317 / 328 / 340 : distance of takeoff and touchdow (cm)
187 / 198 / 211 : mean stride length between hurdles

These numbers change according to individuals and fatigue. These suit to the first part of the races, the last two hurdles are not considered as typical clearance.

As for the choice between 16 and 17 strides : the rule is : they do less strides because they are faster, not the opposite. Forcing the athlete to do less strides might push her to run the first half too fast. Check the time at 5th hurdle touchdown. As i see her case, the only reason why she would switch from 17 to 16 would be a significant improvement in basic speed. But using 17 she shouldn’t have more than 18 strides in the last units. With 17 strides she will have the same leg for all the clearances, so i would use two 18 for the last 2 units, in order to clear the last hurdle with her most efficient leg.

Thanks PJ. Her TD at H5 is 26.7s. McFarlane’s TD charts show this to be on pace with a 60.0 performance (assuming the 2nd half is good, of course). I believe she’s out too quick as we’re targetting a 61-62 right now.

Are your findings consistent with McFarlane’s TD charts?

Yes 26.7 is a typical TD for a 60sec performance.
Is she doing this 26.7 with 16 or 17 strides btw hurdles?

17 strides PJ. One race she ran 16 between H4 and H5 with a bit of a tailwind, but other than that it’s been 17. The desire to run 16 stems from the fact that she’s needing to reduce length on strides 13-17 to get that many in. Even when we stress running comfortably with a different rhtyhm so as to distribute the SL reduction over the entire 35m, it still ends up being too close. However 16 seems a bit too far…