40 yard dash

Charlie, do you think an athlete should consciously think about driving the arms at top speed?

I find that the best runs are those were one runs in a “trance” / “tunnel” mind status, it’s like being on autopilot and you suddenly realize “oh I covered 50m” and it seemed that you were blacked out during that time. While running it may feel slow but when you get past the mark you realize how little time it was used to cover the distance.
I find that more evident while doing flying sprints with cones 10m apart, when I am “concious” the time that takes to cover the distance is significantly longer, yet I have a sensation of things moving fast. When on the trance status the time is reduced, but I still don’t get the sensation of things moving fast, it’s like speed being reduced to it’s definition, distance / time.
Another intersting issue is that while on trance the sound of the whirling air disappairs of my mind, while running conciously I can hear the wind.

1: Relaxation is paramount in getting performance and chopping is often a result of tightness.
2: As a track man, no one has ever accused me of delaying acceleration with my athletes!

pumping the arms is critical.

If you had to pick one thing for the athlete to focus on during the race would it be relaxation or pumping the arms?

depends on what you see. Relaxation will always be key because it increases net force by reducing antagonistic forces. But if that’s already there- pump the arms!

I agree…

If I can do both tomm I will be ok! :slight_smile: Still trying to learn the delayed acc pattern and pushing motion down the track. :slight_smile:

Obviously staying “down” for as long as is natural to the athlete will optimize acceleration, but once the athlete has transitioned to a tall body/upright mechanics, how much longer are they capable of accelerating for, or is it once you’re up you should be at max velocity and trying to maintain that speed?

For what it’s worth, the single most effective ‘drill’ for improving 40yd times, in my experience, are flying sprints ranging from 20-60yd not including the pre-run.

No doubt that preparation for the 40yd on combine/pro day includes many variables regarding technical work, throws, jumps, weights, flexibility, regeneration, program construction, etcetera; however, as far as what I’ve found to be nearly extraordinarily effective, regardless of individual differences, are the flying sprints.

I’ve found, and certainly with respect to those without track backgrounds, that these are very cost effective in so far as teaching a few different valuable lessons and providing slightly more time for the runner to be aware of what’s happening and more time for me to get in one or two audible cues as the guys are sprinting.

I agree 100%, I mention this a while ago but several members disagreed with me.

Well, we are both speaking from experience so there’s never any disputing what actually happened.

Furthermore, and equally as important, or perhaps more important from a theoretical standpoint, is that the training effect of the flying sprint is physiologically undeniable with respect to its effectiveness as a speed development drill.

Well I agree completely, if for no other reason that most places don’t seem to put any real emphasis on anything outside of 10 yards! By working on max speed and imprinting that neurologically you are able to take advantage of the numerous hundredths and even tenths that are available over the final 30 yards.

Which is what most football players lack. You disagreed with me last year when I made this point.

Well I have no problem admitting that, my theory is that you should accelerate all the way through 40 yards. This is great in theory but I have seen too many people get to about 20 yards and look like they have no clue what to do next.

That was my point, 40yds to a track guy is an acc race but to a 230 lb or rb its not. These guys can benefit from some submax top speed work. All these combine camps are spending all there time running 5-15 yds sprints. It’s similar to CF theory in the 100m focusing on general fitness and knocking off tenths vs. start/power for hundredths

Longer runs, consisting ideally of runs from an easy accel into a speed zone (easy 25y into a 20y max or 30 yard sub-max speed zone) can definitely help but the trick with the big guys is to keep the longer vol down with total recovery to play to their strength as much as possible.

I agree, I know Dan went out to 90m with bigger guys, I wouldnt go that far.

The training effect of the flying sprints can be two fold:
1: The increased capacity for 40y by increased high speed distance tolerance (single and multiple), stretching the energy envelope just to the right of the event itself.
2: The increased capacity for 40y by increased speed, stretching the EE just to the left of the event itself.
While both can play a role, 2 will be far more important, especially for the big guys, because:
A: top speed occurs well within the 40y run itself, directly affecting the time, while backs may achieve top speed beyond the 40y mark therefor affecting performance indirectly.
B: Power will always predominate over SE with both groups but especially with the big guys.
So often the big guys are subjected to gassers which I find counter-productive.

Agree on all points.

While I’m as opposed to gassers as you are, the thought of them being eradicated from the training of American footballers might come around the same time as the death of the sun.