4 x 100m 2nd exchange (1996 OG, Canada)

here’s the animated GIF of Glenroy Gilbert handing off to Bruny Surin Gilbert in the 4x100m Finals (2nd to 3rd runner).

Note that the incoming runner (Glenroy) is on the OUTSIDE of Bruny, so he gets only one shot to get it right, as Bruny would pull away (being on the inside lane) if all speeds were equal.

In 1997, the exchange wasn’t as smooth between the two, but they won the Gold (again) anyways. :sing:

Nice posts!

Actually, i’m more impressed by the exchange between (i think) Ukraine team just behind the Canadians. The rythm is better, and we don’t notice any loss of speed nor change in stride rythm. Slow motion could reveal more things.

I would agree, the rhythm is very nice. But you gotta think, when you don’t have as much talent as Canada did on that day, you better have some VERY smooth handoffs!!!

Part of the success was the matched speeds of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th runners, allowing the best gain of “free distance” (the space between the runners). If you look again at the Ukraine, you’ll see runner no 1 almost run up beside no2 after the pass, meaning that if he handed off at the end of the zone, he’d be on top of the outgoing runner.

Pierrejean, France had some excellent years in the men´s 4x100m. Was that with Bruno Marie-Rose? Did those guys train together all the time (that´s what I heard), and when was that?

Originally posted by Carson
Pierrejean, France had some excellent years in the men´s 4x100m. Was that with Bruno Marie-Rose? Did those guys train together all the time (that´s what I heard), and when was that?

Jo Maïsetti was named National coach for the 4x100m French team in 1986, and did a great work during one of the greatest period for French sprint:
Bruno Marie-Rose 10.16 (89) and 20.36 (WIR 87) coached by Michel Dach
Gilles Quénéhervé 10.17 (94) and 20.17 (87) coached by Jacky Deprez
Max Morinière 10.09 (87) and 20.82 (83)coached by Titi Charpentier
Daniel Sangouma 10.02 (90) and 20.20 (89)
and Jean-Charles Trouabal 10.19 and 20.20 (93), both coached by Fernand Urtebise.

They all had different coaches, but train together very often, so that they were a real group, knowing very well each other in their respective life.

Their main results were (with official split times)
Seoul’88 - OG - 3rd
38.40 (Marie-Rose + Sangouma + Quénéhervé + Morinière 9.26)
Barcelona’89 - WCp - 3rd
38.47 (Morinière + Sangouma + Quénéhervé + Marie-Rose)
Split’90 - ECh - 1st (WR)
37.79 (Morinière 10.58 + Sangouma 8.90 + Trouabal 9.21 + Marie-Rose 9.10)
Tokyo’91 - WCh - 2nd
37.87 (Morinière 10.46 + Sangouma 9.04 + Trouabal 9.12 + Marie-Rose 9.25)
In 1992 for Barcelona Games, there were a lot of problems, French technical director forgot to register Marie-Rose in the individual 100m (incredible mistake), Quénéhervé was recovering from illness, Quénéhervé and Trouabal were injured… in 1993, the team was decimated again by injuries, in spite of Trouabal’s great form
Helsinki’94 - ECh - 1st
38.57 (Lomba + Sangouma + Trouabal + Perrot)
In 1995, Trouabal had a violent injury in semi-final…

For more information about their technique:

• Time analysis of elite sprinters in the 4x100m relay (Yusaku Sugiura et al.) New Studies in Athletics 10:3, pp45-49 (1995)
  • Vers la bonne “transmission” dans les courses de relais de vitesse (Jo Maïsetti), Revue AEFA n°142, pp22-28 (1996)

Pierrejean: thanks for the info!