30m sprints

hey cf my bro is on the same program i am on, he completed the 7 week gpp program and is on week 4 of the spp program, today he had 4x30, 4x30, 3xefe, 3x60, his second set of 30’s he decided to hand time the first two - he called me upset bc his times were not any faster. i told him not to worry bc we are loading in the strength room and speed and once we taper he should be fine, what do u think?

also guys what would be a good hand time 30m sprint from a 3point start for a guy that runs 6.4-6.5 55m? i know ht isnt accurate.

Self timing a 30m start is a great way to screw with the athletes confidence (+ or - timing inaccuracies: both have the same detrimental effect eventually!) Next he’ll be self timing flying 20’s… I also had this problem with an athlete: they just have to appreciate the inaccuracies involved and view the time in the context of what it is: probably not representative of his ability. And then there is the effect of increased loading…

I generally find that (when using hand times) an acceleration delay of 1.05 to 1.1 seconds against the average top speed equivalent works in converting 30 to 50 to 100 etc (roughly). The better the acceleration, I tend to use 1.05.

Example: 6.5(h) for 55m = 6.5 - 1.05 (delay due to having to accelerate from zero) for a flying 55m = 5.45, or 0.99 for each 10m.

Adjusting this flying 55m time for a flying 30m would give 30/55 x 5.45 = 2.97.

Add the delay due to acceleration of 1.05 gives a 4.02 hand time for 30m. Using this formula I’d guess a 100m time of around 10.95 - 11.05 (hand) or 11.2-11.3 (e)

Probably just confused the hell out of everyone: only approximate. I find it simple: seems to fit most people.

Curious: how does his 100m time compare to the above?

wasnt self timed

How does he feel after training? How loose is he? What time is he comparing it to- best ever or from training at the same time in the past? Howe far off is he if any?

he has been feeling pretty good, no sign of overtraining etc. since he never really ran timed 30’s before he was comparing them to ones he ran this summer when he was lifting 4 times per week and doing low vol start work twice. he really wasnt too far off, thats why i told him not to worry, bc i know if he would taper or even timed them on mon he would smash those times. he has to understand that he did 90% bsq on mon and 780m of speed work.