2016 races

Elaine needs to fix those poor reaction times. She has now consistently shown to be an equal if not marginally better runner than Schippers.
Semis 7.04 (0.188) vs Schippers 7.08 (0.144)
Final 7.06 (0.174) vs Schippers 7.04 (0.144) & Pierre 7.02 (0.138)
Beiijing 2015: 21.66 (0.195) vs Schippers 21.63 (0.149)

In actuality, Asafa’s best reaction time was in the final (1.35) compared to the semi (1.36), and heat (1.38). Similarly, Trayvon’s best reaction was in the final (1.21), then semi (1.22) , and heat (1.42). So while Asafa did lose it in the start it wasn’t because he failed to do something he did in the rounds. Just the opposite, it was his best start of the competition and Trayvon had a much faster reaction.

It will be interesting to see if splits were recorded.

Not sure if it was his last comp before worlds but on Feb 28 Asafa entered a low key meet at Boston University. The 6.55 he ran in the trials was the easiest 6.55 I’ve ever seen. Came back in 90 minutes to run 6.54 in the final. While he eased off a bit, I was expecting a faster time based on his effort compared to the trials.

SO then that means asafa just didnt hit the gear he needed early enough in the race to win. oh well

Asafa is the still the first ever world indoor 60 meter medal winner from Jam. So thats a win still

One of my partners was at that meet. Said Asafa just showed up out the blu.

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwfzPrXgXb-9eXF0V1FPVS00akU/view?usp=docslist_API[/video]

Funny in the video I’m one of the guys standing in stands right by finish. Couldn’t beat it…nice 20’ Sunday drive to see one of the greatest in history!

lol amazing, you never know who you will come across. My homeboy took a nice plane trip from south florida

Correct, which adds further support to our argument that Asafa’s result in the final was less related to psychological factors and more to physiological ones resultant of the resources he expended in the rounds.

Wayde van Niekerk- 100m 9.98
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8oyhWjoThE
-42 steps for this 100m for his height at 6’0" as an all around sprinter, he was around 82-83 steps over his half lap races last season.

Very impressive accomplishment to go sub 10, sub 20 and sub 44. Though I can’t help but thinking how Michael Johnson would have accomplished sub 10 and so much faster times had pure speed training been present in his program.

Michael Johnson had a wind legal PR of 10.09, but he was injury prone. The race with Donovan was the rule, not the exception: Every time he attempted to train like a (pure) sprinter, it ended up like that. Clyde Hart developed the system for which he is rightly famous simply trying to keep MJ healthy. Did he have the talent for 9.6-9.8? Yes, but it didn’t matter because his body couldn’t handle the training.

I would refute the way you stated that Ikh. It is not plausible that Johnson couldn’t handle pure speed work. What’s plausible is that the way it was incorporated into his training was flawed. It’s not a question of whether or not he should have trained as a pure sprinter, it’s a question of how pure speed training could have been intelligently incorporated into his preparation.

I lean on the argument that refutes empircism and inductionism. For if scientific progress failed to evolve from empiricist movement, and the misguided belief that all knowledge comes to us through the senses via what is observed, then we wouldn’t be having a discussion on-line because quantum theory would have never happened; nor would computers, lasers, transistors, cell phones, the internet…

Thus, to make a prediction on the observation that what Hart had Johnson do was the only viable option for his competitive health is missing the possibility of what failed to be integrated by way of what failed to be known that may have facilitated results unseen.

It’s important to make the distinction between hindsight is 20/20 and what was done was flawed based upon what was knowable.

Incorrect. Green (1997) and Carter (2012) have won silvers in the past.

I don’t think he could handle such training because for some phases they did not do enough low int. work or if when did it was int. tempo. I recall Hart making this comment at some point. When they began to do lower intensity between more intensive days the injury rate for most of his athletes dropped.

I have also long believed (based upon information from the high school coach of one of the Baylor sprinters) they did not have enough acceleration and velocity work in the program to begin with to keep him from getting to race type of intensities in the training. When he did race, he often exposed his body to velocities he had not remotely trained to handle in that preceding phase.

This is precisely consistent with what I would have guessed. Further supports the criticism that it was a lack of knowing what was knowable at that time.

you are correct

Exactly, Cyde is not the person to go to become faster. However, he is great at making very fast people, very fit.

[video]http://www.tracknation.tv/video/73/justin-gatlin-100m-9-74-fastest-season-opener-time-in-history/[/video]

So Gatlin runs the fastest opener ever at 9.74 (+0.9m/s) in Doha, which has an elevation of 20m.

“That was for him (Bolt),” Gatlin said. “I just wanted to go out and put down a good time. I know I had to go out and make a statement tonight. That’s what my coach told me to do.”

Quoted from: http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/12892871/diamond-league-doha-justin-gatlin-wins-100-meters-974-seconds

and he shut it down with 3m remaining. Fantastic opener. However, let’s see if he has a more intelligent strategy for running the rounds in Rio, because his speed going into the WC’s last year was never a question.