2015 races

It is a worthy goal to maintain doing to speed work beyond competitive life. Having said that , it’s especially interesting when we see a person like Merlene Otty or Kim Collins out do the youngsters. There is a great deal to be said about experience isnt there?
And then there is another part to all of this. What does it take to run like that at his age? Who funds it? How successful has he been in order to make sure he is able to travel to the places he needs to get the correct level of competition, therapy, coaching?
Who coaches Kim Collins and where does he train?

Apparently Kim Collins is coaching himself.
Who coached him originally?

Apparently he ran today in Mondeville (FRA) 6.67 in the heats and 6.58 in the final

From what I understand, Kim Collins coaches himself with the help of his wife who takes care of his strength training. He says he trains with very limited volume when intensity is high, never more than 3x100m at full speed. He says he trained only three times a week when he won WC Gold in 2003.

I believe he trained with Glen Mills in the past.

Good to hear he is racing again. After the race in Poland he looked like he may be out for a while, but apparently it looked worse than it was.

No finals video I could find.

1 Trell Kimmons USA 6.51 1 (1)
2 Asafa Powell JAM 6.52 1 (2)
3 Michael Rodgers USA 6.53 1 (3)
4 Joe Morris USA 6.54 1 (4)
5 Akeem Haynes CAN 6.56 1 (5)
6 Marvin Bracy USA 6.57 1 (6)
7 Sean McLean USA 6.58 1 (7)
8 Harry Adams USA 6.67 1 (8)

Semi finals are on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLgD5l8NI9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc8VcS0aCOg

Please correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Dan Pfaff talk about Bruny Surin do somewhat a program like this because he was injury prone?
Also is it me or is there alot of guys with super-fast times this year?

Final

//youtu.be/Yn-aavUTufs

Just this past weekend, Kim announced he is now running for Nike. My hunch is if he got any funding from St Kitts, it was all but over with after the championship fiasco.

Here is a link to the final on the USATF site. Asafa got outleaned. He really looked like a guy who doesn’t do indoors much.

http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45365&do=videos&video_id=133063

Training 3 times a week can be beneficial, especially at older ages. With 3 day week training, im sure he was super fresh for each practice.

Asafa looks real heavy. I heard he left MVP. IS that tru? and who is he with now?

Maybe he is training through the winter and competing for his own training goals and nothing else.

I thought his brother was looking after him.

hope he doesnt become jeremy wariner…stay with the man that made u

That’s what I read too - Donovan Powell is now his coach according to online reports. I’m speculating, but after his 2013 issue, I think there was some finger pointing that caused problems for his relationship with MVP & coach Francis.

My understanding is that he (and Simpson) was effectively shown the door by Steve Francis for getting involved with that Canadian trainer (Xuereb) without Francis’ approval. Certainly didn’t look to me like Asafa had his trademark start in place.

I read Stephen gave them a choice, leave the Canadian guy or leave the team

It was leave the manager, who had hired Xuereb, or leave the team.

//youtu.be/cgqe6Knjbvs

had a decent reaction and still won