2010 Indoor Track Program

2/10

4 min ellyptical
500 reps core

notes:
-traps, quads and glutes pretty sore from yesterday but no weights til saturday so its not really a worry
-abs actually were a wee bit sore, probably a result of doing baseball swings then core the next day, ill drop core on friday so itll be fresh for staurday

2/11

light warm up
1 4x200 practice handoff
6x150m@70% with shortish recovery

500 reps core

notes:
-by the fifth or so rep keeping the high hip height was getting more difficult
-core felt surprsingly fresh since i have upped ab work pretty heavily over the last week, ill probably drop abs/core for tomoro so i wont have any soreness for saturday

2/12

pre race warm up

notes:
-goals for tomorrow -> 55m -> 6.84 FAT, 4x200 -> split 24’s

2/13

race day (150m rubber flat track)

55m -> 7.02 FAT, 7.03 FAT yuck
4x200m split -> 25.1 with early and bad handoff

notes:
-I wouldve lifted after but the meet let out really late so i didnt have time
-my coach said my start was horrendous at least in the second 55
-i think my volume mightve dropped off by too much, im gonna actually do a semi hard speed and lower weights day on tuesday because im not even hitting the div state time anymore so i better try something new
-plan for the upcoming week is upper body and core monday, lower body and core tuesday, upper body heavy and core wed, core thursday, premeet friday (as far as weights go)

2/14

hot tub
upper body massage

notes:
-forgot to weigh in before eating, will weigh in tomoro morning
-belly of my hammys r pretty sore, ive heard this means i was overstriding which i think i was in the second heat of my 55’s

2/15

weigh in -> 136 lbs

light warm up
4x5min ellyptical, 2 min rest

A. One-Arm Snatch 5x4 each@50 lbs
A. Bench Press Machine 2x4,1
A. DB Pec Pinches 3x8,6,6@25 lbs
B. Leg Press 5x5
B. Lat Pull Down Machine 3x8,6,6
C. Leg Curls 3x8,6,6
C. Shoulder Raises 3x10,8@20 lbs,8@25 lbs
C. DB Shrugs 3x8,6@65 lbs,6@70 lbs
D. Calf Jumps 3x10@140 lbs
D. DB Bicep Curls 3x10@30 lbs,6,6@35 lbs
D. Overhead Tricep Ext 3x10,8,8@35 lbs
E. 500 reps core

notes:
-was planning on only doing upper body but there will be a snow storm tomoro so i had to edit my schedule
-im thinking about doing block starts and plyos on wednesday as a light speed day, because i was gonna do a speed day n tuesday, but i probably wont be able to go anywhere because of snow :confused:

2/15

weigh in -> 136 lbs

light warm up
4x5min ellyptical, 2 min rest

A. One-Arm Snatch 5x4 each@50 lbs
A. Bench Press Machine 2x4,1
A. DB Pec Pinches 3x8,6,6@25 lbs
B. Leg Press 5x5
B. Lat Pull Down Machine 3x8,6,6
C. Leg Curls 3x8,6,6
C. Shoulder Raises 3x10,8@20 lbs,8@25 lbs
C. DB Shrugs 3x8,6@65 lbs,6@70 lbs
D. Calf Jumps 3x10@140 lbs
D. DB Bicep Curls 3x10@30 lbs,6,6@35 lbs
D. Overhead Tricep Ext 3x10,8,8@35 lbs
E. 500 reps core
(apt gym)

static stretching

notes:
-was planning on only doing upper body but there will be a snow storm tomoro so i had to edit my schedule
-im thinking about doing block starts and plyos on wednesday as a light speed day, because i was gonna do a real speed day on tuesday, but i probably wont be able to get outta the house because of snow :confused:

2/16

light warm up
6x150m@75%
500 reps core
light rolling

notes:
-snow wasnt too bad in the morning so practice was held, but since i had lifted lower body on monday i pushed block work to wednesday

2/17

lots of block starts and drills, didnt really keep track of rest or distances or drills for that matter :confused:

5x2 PC
5x3 Squat
5x4 RDL
300 reps core
(school’s gym)

notes:
-since i didnt really pre plan this workout and didnt record what i did i dont have many numbers to put down
-a grad from my hs came and helped me with my start, and whatever he did actually really helped, i had one or two starts that felt REALLY good
-i tried RDL for the first time in a while, i went as heavy as i could where i still felt the hammy stretch (which i have to admit wasnt very heavy, i think about 180?)
-although i have a big meet this sat, my coach thinks i should try a higher volume week than the last two bc i actually got slower with the less volume, so maybe i was underrunning? since im wicked far away from my original goal, its not like i have anything to lose

Heavy RDL with a big stretch the week you’re trying to run fast… that is going to likely result in a good amount of soreness. Usually not optimal for performance. Good exercise for the GPP period though.

i actually made a post regarding rdl a while ago. its funny because my hamstrings never have gotten sore from RDL, but my form is not noticibly bad. because my chances of qualifying for all-states individually arent seeming so good right now ive kind of given up on the whole peaking idea for this season. plus ive noticed my strength levels have really dropped, and i have a whole nother week before all-states which i think only my 4x2 MITE qualify for, so im not worrying too much about this sat. thanks for your input though. also, relative to my max strength levels when they were at 200 bench, 300 squat, 200 clean, what exactly (weight wise) would Heavy rdl be? above 180?

When I was cleaning 315-335 or so and trap bar deadlifted 495x2, I rarely went over 225lbs for RDLs (typically 185-205 if I did BB RDLs) and found them to be very effective. During my last GPP, I typically stuck with unilateral RDLs with typical worksets ranging from 80lbs-120lbs (with a dumbell, 1arm/1leg).

If your hamstrings aren’t sore at least your first time, you probably aren’t doing them right. A lot of times people will utilize, even if it is only subconsciously, too much lower back in the movement. I know this not just from what I’ve seen, but from what I was doing in high school myself. We often did “straight leg deadlifts from a platform” and I usually handled 225 or more and never had sore hamstrings. That was mostly bc I had terrible form and wasn’t loading those muscles properly.

Remember we use to fight because you thought I was a pussy since I didn’t use heavy loads with the RDL’s.

I did think 115lbs for a barbell RDL was a bit too light for a person who squatted ~600lbs or so. I have humbly changed my opinion about loads for RDL, but I still think that is a bit excessively low.

Come on bro, give me a break. It was never 115try 155 for 3x10 etc.

this was my first time doing rdl since i researched form and i made sure to feel a real hamstring stretch on the way down, which i wasnt feeling earlier this track season probably because of using too much lower back with the heavier weights. ill see how the hammys are doing tomorrow. and i take it that if my hammys arent sore tomorrow, then my weight was probably still too heavy, so if my hammys arent too sore i wont be surprised if my lower back is… thanks for the advice

2/18

jog
sprinter drills
4x200 hand offs

A. BP 2x2,1@185 lbs
A. Cable Rows 5x8,6,4,4,4@140 lbs
A. Cable Downward Crossovers 3x10,6,6@50 lbs
B. Hand-Stand Push ups 3x11,6,6
B. Pull Ups 3x12,10,10
C. DB Shrugs 3x12@65 lbs,10@70 lbs,10@80 lbs
C. Side Shoulder Raise 3x10,8,8@20 lbs
D. Bicep Curls 3x10@30 lbs,6,6@35 lbs
D. Tricep Ext. 3x10,8,8@ 120 lbs
E. 500 reps core
(school’s gym)

notes:
-Fog was right on, inside part of hammys are pretty sore, i probs should still go lighter on the RDL though because my lower back still took a beating
-my shrug strength has gone up bizarely, idk y. the last couple weeks doing 65 for ten reps was mega tough but i did 80 for 10 reps with out a problem today

2/19

extensive warm up
light baseball swings
rolling and self massage on the hammys

notes:
-lats are pretty sore from the upper body day, luckily they arent too involved in running
-hammys are still sore so hopefully after the rolling out and self massage theyll feel fresher tomoro
-goals for tomoro -> 55m 6.94 FAT, 4x200m split -> 23.2

2/20

warm up
55m -> 7.04 FAT
4x200m -> split 24.0h

A. DB Pec Pinches 3x10,8,8@30 lbs
A. Lat Pull Down Machine 3x8,6,6
A. Row Machine 3x8,6,6
A. DB Shrugs 3x12,10,10
B. DB bicep Curls 3x10,8,6
B. DB Overhead Tricep Ext. 3x10,8@35 lbs,8@40 lbs
B. Side Shoulder Raises 3x10,8,8@20 lbs
C. 100 reps core
(apt weight room)

notes:
-start was terrific in the 55m, but then rest of the race blew :confused: i didnt feel bad but everyone just blew by me, esp from 20m-40m
-messy handoff and very long leg in the 4x2, along the first straightaway i felt awesome and really looked good in comparision to the other anchors apparently, my last half mustve blown bc my split was still pretty bad
-hammys were real sore after 55, and pretty bad after the 4x2 also so i cut lower lifting for today

so i didnt qualify for allstates :frowning: so the season’s over. I guess overall it was a pretty big disappointment because it started so well (6.92 FAT) but ended very weakly. positives to take out of the season are now i know what i need to do in the weightroom and i understand the jist of the cf training system, and i also improved my average race from a 7.0h soph yr to a 6.8h this yr. i also found out that im not too bad of a 300 runner. next year i plan to do a l-s program instead of a s-l because while i am not very tall, my running style and build is not like bulky power sprinters. also, i will structure my season better by not dropping weights so early in the season and by doing gpp for most of the fall, then run 300, 4x4 for the first couple meets, 300 4x2 early season, 300 55 mid season and 4x2 55, and maybe just 55 late season as like a kinda spp. i will not be doing track workouts til late summer because baseball starts in a couple weeks, but i will be keeping a log of anything that relates to speed training here -> http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=21972 thanks a lot to anyone who followed my thread and/or gave me advice or commented