2010-2011 55m Training

sat jan 1

some microstretching
knee self-massage

notes:
-i stayed up pretty late last night and didnt get much sleep, but i should be ready to train gain sunday morning if i go to bed early
-i will weigh in tomorrow morning and see if those 3 lbs were a fluke or if i still have em

sun jan 2

4’ jog
stretch checks
pre race
3 push up starts (easy, half effort, close to full effort)
speed:
-2x30m blocks
-2x60m blocks
-2x80m blocks
-2x~200m blocks
some more blast outs
25 contacts plyos

jump rope
25 contacts plyos
a. 2x6 squat@300
a. hurdle drills
b. 2x100 medball throws
b. 50 each x-band
light stretch

ankle and knee self-massage

notes:
-between rain and the recent heat much of the snow melted so i was psyched to get out on the track for a nice speed workout (since my school’s program lacks pure speed training)
-i used two new cues while doing blocks:
i notied that in old vids i havent been pushing at all with my back foot, i might as well have had only one pad, so i thought about using both, then increasing my arm drive for my first 10m. it felt and looked much better
-i downloaded the starter pistol app for my ipod, so i will use that whenever i must train alone but am using blocks to train my horrid rt (as of late). i can probably also it use to work on rt with just the wrist flick when ot in track training

mon jan 3

ankle exercises
4’ erg warm up
stretch checks
a. 3x3 bench@185/195/205*
a. 3x3 bentover bb row@155/165/175
pre race
grass tempo:
-1000m circuit
2x8 upper body circuit
2’ abs circuit
3x30s marching a’s r:1’

notes:
-grr, i failed on my third rep of 205, im still very inconsistent at that weight
-i reduced the circuit to 2x8 as i am going to begin my unloading of hypertrophy work and by mid january should have eliminated it completely to leave more energy for speed development and peaking. major lifts such as bench, squat and clean i will slowly unload with the hypertrophy work, but at a somewhat lower rate so that im at maintenance at the end of january (my maintenance for the championship meets will probably be just bench for the upperbody, one set of squats and some power clean sets for my lower, then low intensity work during the other days to keep fresh)

tues jan 4

team warm up
ankle exercises
20’ jog
3x3 each (hold last rep) human flags
a. 3x8 ab rollouts
a. 3x8 stomach vacuums
light stretch

notes:
-i’m fairly certain that my team just didnt have a workout to do because m pretty sure lsd (long slow distance) doesnt really have a place in a sprinting program, bc i cant really think of how this wouldve developed speed?
-i thought we were gonna do int tempo or blocks, but i guess its okay bc today was essentially an offday for me then, since a lot of that 2-’ was spent walking, and i do believe i train more than i should, so such a light day may have even been good for me
-i’m planning on trying out some complex training tomorrow. with a meet on sat and the fact that its so cold out i think its my best option since my team doesnt do speedwork so i cant use our indoor track

wed jan 5

2’ erg
jump rope
stretch checks
pre race
a. 5x2 power clean@185
a. 5x20yd 3pt r:5’
b. 3x3 squat@315
b. 3x5 depth jumps r:5’
c. 2x8 rev hypers@70
c. 2x8 each single leg calf raises@100
d. 2x100 medball throws
d. hurdle drills
d. 50 each x-band
3x30s marching a’s r:wb
light stretch

notes:
-i tried contrast training for the first time today, i am planning on taking tomorow off, doing my usual premeet stuff on friday, then i have a meet on sat
-i concentrated on arm swing during the 20’s and it felt good, guess well see in the race

wed jan 5

2’ erg
jump rope
stretch checks
pre race
a. 5x2 power clean@185
a. 5x20yd 3pt r:5’
b. 3x3 squat@315
b. 3x5 depth jumps r:5’
c. 2x8 rev hypers@70
c. 2x8 each single leg calf raises@100
d. 2x100 medball throws
d. hurdle drills
d. 50 each x-band
3x30s marching a’s r:wb
light stretch

notes:
-i tried contrast training for the first time today, i am planning on taking tomorow off, doing my usual premeet stuff on friday, then i have a meet on sat
-i concentrated on arm swing during the 20’s and it felt good, guess well see in the race

thurs jan 6

ankle exercises
2 min abs circuit
microstretching
self-massage (hip, back of knee, ankle)
ankle icing
wrist flicks to itouch starter gun app

fri jan 7

4’ jog
stretch checks
pre race
3 point starts
block blast outs
1 fly
2x8 upperbody circuit submax
light stretch
icing

notes:
-meet tomorrow, goals are 6.6h for the 55m and 38.9h for the 300m (150m rubber track)

sat jan 8

jog
stretch checks
pre race
55m -> 6.8h
3 resisted starts then overspeed flys
300m -> 39.7h (150m rubber flat track)

2:00 erg warm up
jump rope
5x5 hurdle hops w/ short accel at end
3x16 llrr single leg hops
3x3 standing triples w/ vetircal leap on final rep
a. 3x3 pc@165/170/185
a. 3x3 bench@185/190/205
b. 3x3 bentover bb row@155/160/175
b. 2x6 squat@285
c. 2x8 rev hyper@50
b. 2x8 each single leg calf raise@90
light stretch

school dance

notes:
-bad start in the 55, i think im gonna go back to my block settings from last year which were much more crunched up, less steep block angles, and more weight on my arms. my rt cant possibly be so bad that im coming out of the blocks way behind everyone just because of it, so it must be my blasting out too
-once i had the bad start the rest of my race fell apart, bad hip height, little front side mechanics, yuck
-my 300 was okay, first lap felt fine, but didnt have much left for the second lap. mayb be the extra 15 lbs im carrying this year as opposed to last year, or maybe just the workout i ran after the 55
-im cutting all hypertorhpy lifts after next week, ill just do one set of each then cut them to make it smooth, and im slightly increasing the volume on the major lifts ill use during feb (clean and bench), while lightening squat and lat pull down. my muscle mass and strength is there so plyos and meets should be the most beneficial for me in the upcoming month

sun jan 9

weigh in -> 149

some microstretching
wrist flicks to gun

notes:
-lots of soreness today, hard to locate, but just kind of an overall body feeling
-i was talking to a friend and i’ve decided that its worth taking the risk that i’ve overtrained (since my times havent dropped significantly even while adding probably 100 lbs to my squat, 25+ to my bench and at least a some inches to my vertical) so i’m gonna really unload for the rest of the season. on meet days (or the day after if its a night meet and i don’t have time) i will do a high intensity day (meet, resistance/overspeed, some plyos, lifting) and other days i will just do low int stuff or take a rest day and stretch and ice. i’ll be lifting submax in all lifts but bench, and plyos im cutting much volume in, though i’ve added llrr hops bc i read they are a good way to transfer weightroom strength to track power

mon jan 10

2x3 each human flags
cf store bike workout (1st half)
hurlde drills
100 low int plyos
a. 2x8 ab rollouts
b. 2x8 stomach vacuums
light stretch

tues jan 11

4’ jog
stretch checks
flip
ankle exercises
tempo:
2x5x150m@26-28s
a. bench 4x3@175/180/190/205
a. bentover bb row@155/165/170/180
1x8 upper body circuit
2 min abs circuit
light stretch

notes:
-huge snowstorm coming my way way tonight, was planning on just stretching tomorrow anyways so i after shoveling i may just do a couple mintues of ellyptical so id be warm for stretching

wed jan 12

snow day!

shoveling
4 min elliptical
some microstretching
wrist flicks to gun (rt)

notes:
-some pectoral soreness, funny how just adding three submax reps added this
-i plan to do a thourough warm up and some blocks starts tomorrow with some submax squats. i dont want my lower body to go to waste, but i think it does need some type of light stimulus this week

thurs jan 13

4’ jog
stretch checks
pre race
handoffs
6 blast outs
2x6 squat@285
2x100 medball throws
light stretch

ankle icing

notes:
-the squats felt surprisingly difficult :confused: guess thats what happens when i take pretty much a week off from them. plus for some reason when i squat at my school’s gym it always feels more difficult than when i lift at the gym i usually go to
-during my warm up i concentrated on good hip height on build ups and it felt good. i taped the blast outs and went back t last years block settings, and thought about running during the drive phase instead of doing the shuffling that i seem to have been doing in my meets. it looks better, and felt decent, so i guess well see in my next meet!
-on sunday i am running the 4x200 and the 50 yd shuttle relays. unfortunately i will probably have to take saturday essentially off but i can use the elliptical and stretch and some drills in my basement to keep lose, but since its just a relay meet on sunday its no big deal if i dont get to do my usual pre meet day since its not that improtant

fri jan 14

4’ jog
stretch checks
pre race
handoffs
tempo:
-4x200m@31-35" r:3’
-2x3,4x100m
jump rope
1x3 each (hold last rep) human flags
1x8 ab rollouts
1x8 stomach vacuums
1x8 upper body circuit
light stretch
pcl icing

notes:
-some quad soreness today, tempo should take are of it though
-my coach assigned the 200s which actually fit in pretty well with what i wanted to do, cept he wanted them to be full blast (though it beats me how this is even possible without turning the last three reps to rubbish with only 3’ rest) but i just took them slow bc i didnt want to risk injury, ruin my meet saturday, or add to my likely overtraining that im attempting to unload from

sat jan 15

wegih in -> 150

5’ elliptical
stretch checks
3 3pt blast outs
2 min abs circuit

some microstretching
wrist flicks to gun

notes:
-tomorrow i am running the 4x200 and 50 yd shuttle relays. my goals r to split in the 22s for the 4x200 and to split a 5.5 for the shuttle (i believe its a 1.1s transfer from the 55)

sun jan 16

state relays:
-4x200m split 23.87h
-50yd shuttle (23.70 FAT total time)

2:30 erg warm up
jump rope
5x5 hurdle hops w/ accel
a. 4x3 clean@155/165/175
a. 4x3 bench@165/180/195/205
b. 2x3 bentover bb row@135/150
b. 1x6 squat@275

light stretch

notes:
-gym closed early today so i didnt have time to finish lifting :frowning: i am working out tomorrow morning, so i am thinking about doing a little legs because id still have plenty of recovery time since its all submax before my meet on wednesday
-i wasnt planning on dropping the 300 until this coming sturday, but i think i better start running the 4x2 with this wednesday bc i am making it through the end of the 4x2 better than ever, just maintaining the full sprint speed has been difficult. for the first 75m i fly, but i guess i havent developed the speed endurance yet since the 300 is such a slower pace
-no splits for the shuttle dash, but we had relatively slower kids in the relay with me and managed to run a pretty good time, so im gonna go out on a limb and assume that meant i ran pretty fast. my 3rd or 4th step felt funky, but after that the run felt great
-i took some tape of my hops to accel and noticed im still having some curvature in my back while accelrating so i worked on trying to straighten that out

mon jan 17

cf bike workout warm up
jump rope
5 3pt blast outs
a. 2x3 bentover bb row@165
a. 1x6 squat@275
1x8 rev hyper@50
1x8 each single leg calf raise@85
cf bike workout (2nd set)
c. 3x100 low int plyos
c. 2x100 medball twist throws
hurdle drills
1x50 each x-band
cf bike workout cool down
light stretch

pcl knee self-massage & ice

notes:
-the blast outs were literally just a couple steps, and were just to see what keeping my legs more folded closed during accel would feel like, i have trouble hitting triple ext when doing this, but i think its a necessity that i get comfortable with this so i can correct y starting mechanics

tues jan 18

shoveling

some activation and rt stuff
2 min abs circuit
light stretch

some microstretching
pcl self-massage and ice

notes:
-normally wouldve done pre meet today, but got a snow day. i probably wouldve done blast outs from the blocks which would be more like 10m each instead of the two steps i can fit in my basement for 3 pt and probably done a better warm with a full speed fly, but maybe its better this way so my load is lighter
-goals for the meets tomorrow:
55m->6.6h
4x200m->24.9h split (150m rubber flat track)
-i plan to do some llrr hops as plyos to supplement the meet, then some low rep upperbody (bench, flags, handstand push ups, wide grip pull ups) on thursday, and maybe some light p.snatches (and low int medball core stuff), but i have another meet saturday, so i want to keep the load light on my legs (still debating whether i should do tempo on the indoor track or on the bike, im leaning towards the track bc my ankle is feeling better and itll give me a more specific elastic training)
-on saturday ill do a tiny bit of overspeed and hurdle hops after the meet, but then ill do a little more lifting than i plan to do on thurs. if my coach makes me run the 300 on sat then ill do the overspeed before it, if im in the 4x2, then i might not depending on how i feel after the 55

wed jan 19

meet:
55m -> 6.8h :confused:
3x15 llrr hops r: 1’
4x200m -> 25.3h split (150m rubber flat track)

notes:
-top speed actually felt pretty relaxed in the 55, though my hip height wasnt great, drive phase was still iffy, though exiting the blocks wasnt so bad. im not sure hw accurate my 6.8 was because a kid who beat me with a 6.42h didnt seem that far ahead of me. regardless it wasnt a spectacular race
-we were so far ahead in the 4x2 that i didnt push through the end and didnt have much of a rush going, plus i came close to slipping a couple times. i should be in the 24’s pretty easily when going full blast on a better track