200m

Another possibility mentioned before is to make sure to do a warm-up in the AM well before the meet to make the meet warm-up easier and more effective. This helps especially when there are no heats.

Would this be something you would want to do if the athlete isn’t use to doing this, also is this a full warmup? Maybe I am lacking speed and should chill and hope for better next year. I’m pissed, I’m getting beat by guys who are doing shit loads of int tempo and suck ass indoors. LOL

The AM warm-up can be very easy and is probably the least intrusive change you can make. Make adjustments first and give up later!

Trust me I am not giving up, I was talking shit.

Would the AM warmup include drills/builds etc, I am not racing until 6:30pm.

Depends on where you’re doing it. I wouldn’t go anywhere to do it. Backyard or similar will do. Just take it far enough that you feel a bit warm, then go on with your day. the PM warm-up will be easier.

More along the lines of jogging, mobility work and situps etc.

I personally do this–about the same as Ato with 2X70 in spikes with long break, and this comes at the end of a long warmup (and of course John Smith is somewhat notorious for long warmups).

But for someone running ~11.0/22.8, how long of a break (and how extensive of a warmup) would you use?

Another point–a single hard effort FROM BLOCKS. I find that much of the time advantage following a hard effort is simply getting prepped for the block start. So I bring practice blocks when I can, and I see higher level athletes bringing everything from blocks, to sleds, to towing apparatus (no comment here in favor of using them!) to meets as part of warmup. And in those cases where you are only allowed minimal access to the track for warmup, put 1/2" spikes in and accel from your blocks on grass, like Franno.

Thoughts?

I would say 10-12mins.

That’s what I was thinking. For me it’s 20-25 minutes following HSI-style loooong warmup. But I don’t think someone running 10.9/11.0 is going to hold the warmup that long.

I know some top NCAA programs only take 10-15mins max after sprinting a 60-150 at 85-90%.

I never do block starts at the meet everything is from the 3pt.

My program is going well…lowered 16/100 on the opening 100…today 150/120 + w… my athlete is still lacking a bit “fast feet” sensation and last 20m…for last 20m I’m confortable in the progression I proposed…for the fast feet, do not know, maybe just a bit of racing…suggestions?

Hello Charlie thanks for all the help, things are starting to pick up now because my SE is finally turning the corner. Also most guys I am racing against are torched from there training.:slight_smile:

I had an OK race yesterday 11.04 into -3.1 headwinds.

Good job- 3.1 is a big headwind. Might be pretty quick. I remember Ben winning the Nats in 10,79 in 1981 into a -2.7 and then running 10.25 the very next race with a +1 tail wind.

Based on the chart lkh sent me my time would have been in the 10.6-10.7 range.

Charlie, I have a small meet next Sunday May 31 and a bigger meet June 7. I am wondering if I did 2x40+1x150 submax next Wednesday would it allow enough recovery for the small meet on May 31? I have notice this season whenever I have done SE work I have always run poor but since this is a small meet I really don’t care about the performance.

Also will the meet on May 31 have any negative effects on the bigger meet June 7 since the work is greater then 95% within the 10 day period?

If the SE is sub-max, should be fine and the meets shouldn’t interfere. If possible, go one event on the 31st and two on the 7th.

The goal is to only run 1x100m, treat it as a workout. I have a hard time running submax, could I set a cone at 25-30m and acc to that point or should I go a shorter distance?

If you go from that much headwind to a full legal tail, could be more than that.
To really figure how much the wind slowed you up, look at your margin vs your competitors and figure their normal performances in good conditions and the difference they had. Usually, the margin into a wind is reduced for the winner vs what would happen in good conditions because a strong wind adversely affects the fastest runners more than the slower ones because the resitance is compounded as speed increases.
Likewise, a favorable wind helps the faster runner more than the slower ones but not nearly to the same degree.

The next closest athlete to me in my heat run 11.02 and this was his second 100m of the year, his first dash he ran 11.24 into -2.5 and his pr is 10.82. The athletes in the first heat only had -1.7 and most had pr’s in the 10.7 range and the times went from 10.9 to 11.02 for the best guys.