2002 Forum Review e-Book and 2002 Forum Review Final Edition Print Book Review

2002 Forum Review e-Book and 2002 Forum Review Final Edition Print Book Review

Introduction:

The 2002 Forum Review series is a collection of the best posts from the when CF.com first began. At this time Charlie had very few information products out so most of his education was carried out through the forum. The series covers specific questions raised by forum members and goes into much finer detail than the majority of the other CF.com products. Therefore, it is an “advanced product” for those who already understand the CF philosophy.

Content Introduction:

Because of the shear number of topics and the level of detail presented in the answers I can’t really give a blow by blow account of everything in each Forum Review, like my other reviews. Therefore, I will simply outline the topics discussed and provide some other links to other members’ reactions.

e-Book Content:

This e-Book is produced to a high quality and the illustrations at the end of the book are professionally rendered. However, there are spelling mistakes throughout as the posts lifted from the forum inevitably contain typos!
Topics covered include:

Nutrition
Nurotropics
Peaking for competition – Tempo/speed work; Season structure; Conversion phases
Recovery and regeneration – General; Whirlpools; Ice; Viruses.

Strength and Conditioning – GPP/SPP; Ab work; Jumps; Overspeed work; Calf development; Neuro-mechanical stimulation; HIT; Squat style; Strength + Endurance training; Upper body work; Exercise sequence; Ab composition and strength; Tendon strength; Time between track and weights; Tempo weightlifting.

Track 101 – Track work; Improving the stretch shortening cycle; Background noise; Running mechanics; 40yd dash; Body fat levels; Decathlon training; Patience or a short term solution?; Pacey Duncan drills; How much strength is enough?; Pumping the arms; Speed for jumps; Less is more; Hip height; Block work; East German training; 400m training; Intensification; 200m bend running; 100m race model; Tempo runs; Pre-competition warm up; Hill workouts; Competition and CNS fatigue; Genu varus and postural problems; Front squats and hamstrings; Rest duration; Variability in training.

Biomechanics and physiology of sprinting – Physiology of tempo; Muscle fibre transformation.

Plyometrics
Structure of sprint training
Hamstring Development
Training theories - past and present
The truth about EMS
Football (American) – General; Flying 20s and football sprint training schedules
Training for women

The Sprints – General; Integrating plyometrics with sprint training; East German methods; Peaking for sprint events; Speed endurance guidelines; Control Drive energy envelope and organism strength concepts.

Further discussion – General; Heavy, medium and light concept, Sleep and performance.

Graphs/Illustrations: Vertical integration; Running velocity; Running into trouble – things to avoid; Resisted running; Medicine ball drills, Sled Work; Isorobic exerciser; Plyometric progression throughout the season; Motor unit recruitment; Interplay of volume and intensity; Volume/duration interplay of high intensity components by day; The concept of “from right to left”; Maximising explosive power; Sample weekly workout schedules.

Note: those who have watched the Vancouver ’02 and ’04 DVDs will recognise many of these graphs. In my opinion they are essential reading and really add to the value of this contribution.

Check out KitKat’s response to the e-Book at the following link:

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=2605&highlight=Forum+Review

Print Book Content

The following list of topics is taken from Rupert’ post on the forum but I thought I’d reproduce it here to save you skipping back:

“Bullet” Bob Hayes
30m acceleration
400 Meter Hurdles
About this manual
Acknowledgements
Aerobic Work
Arm Action in General
Arm Action in Sprinting
Ben Johnson 40m Times
Ben Johnson’s History
Block Angles
Building Special Endurance
Burnout at the last 30m
Canadians and Sports
Carb Intake
Carry Over and Fitness
Centre of gravity
Cheat Meals
CNS Recovery
Common Faults
Competition and CNS fatigue
Contaminated Supplements
Control of CNS stimulation
Converting Strength into Sprinting
Demands of the various positions
DMAE
Double Sessions
EMS applied to Trigger Point
EMS the day of a meet?
Fastest 40 Yard times in Football
Fluctuations in Special Endurance
Foot placement
Football Quarterbacks
Front Side Mechanics
General Posture
Ground support forces
Ham String Injury
Heart Rate during Tempo Workouts
Heightened CNS response
Hematocrit Levels
Hit & Football Training
HIT in Football
Hypertrophy Work
Improving SSC
Inter-rep recovery
Interval Training
IOC and Testosterone
Jacques Piasenta
Long Jump Accelerations
Lower Abdominal Strains
Mark McKoy
Massage for Tightness
Metabolic Diet
Micro stretching
Mineral absorption
More on Injury
More Westside!
National Archive
Nervous system supplements
Neural Patterning/Flying 20’s
NO2
CF on Coaching
Over Speed training for Football
Over-training in the NFL
Peaking during the indoor season
Performance Adjustment
Power Endurance
Power vs. Max Strength Training
Program Design Changes
SE Requirements for Football
Sleep
Special Endurance
Speed Endurance
Spiking Insulin
Sprint Technique
Starting GPP
Tempo Work
Tempo Work Barefoot
The Purpose of SPE for 100m
Phases
Varying High Intensity
Vertical Force Fatigue
Volume work in spikes
Warm Ups
Weight Training
When to Dorsiflex?
Wind Assist vs. Towing
Zinc and Magnesium

[i]Illustrations – Effective adoption periods, “From right to left”, High intensity training for sports.

Again, these illustrations are taken from the Vancouver ’02 DVD. A nice touch to a great contribution and a hell of a lot easier to read than my initial solution of “pause the DVD and squint at the screen”![/i]

Conclusion:

The 2002 Forum Review series is packed with detailed answers to questions you never even thought to ask! It is a real gold mine of information and the illustrations at the end of each book summarise the information found in a lot of the other CF.com products – especially the Vancouver lecture series. This series is fantastic but perhaps a little advanced for first time customers.