200 Emphasis

If I wanted to focus more on the 200 than 60s for the indoor season doing a short to long, should one of the repeat 60 days turn into a longer 180 or 200s later into the spp. My concern is that the repeat 60s are great at the begging of the spp but as it progresses and the volume drops the endurance is lost. I know most dont like ends to the middle approach, but is there a way to put a emphasis on the 200 but while keeping the runs short.

would continuing 3 x 4 x 60s throughout the spp but lower intensity, or starting with3 x 4 x 60 then spreading out the distances to 2 x 2 x 120 then eventually into a 2 x 200. As it happens increase teh rest times. Or even start at 300s with little recovery then work down to 200s with lots of recovery. Have 2 days that are short to long and 1 day long to short for the 200m emphasis.

Thoughts Suggestions?

my winters are pretty warm reallly, no axcess to a indoor track anyway.
i am doing instead of 4x60 split runs, a 280m. total volume stays the same if you do 2x280m and 1x200m. acceleration is the same as the 60m. recoverys between sets you keep too.
and when it calls for 3x60m eg. you could do a 200 or a 150 or something.

the 4x60m split runs seem mainly for those in indoors for training.

our winters arent to bad they usually hover around 5 - 10 degrees, just a lot of rain. When you say that acceleration stays the same do you mean run to 20m and maintain for the rest of the 200m?

I keep the rests as you mention

I will be running indoors, I just wanted to focus more on the 200m without doint a long to short.

our winters hover between 7min to 22max.

not sure about indoor tracks, charlie mentioned somewhere in the dvd that split runs are used when running indoors as the tracks are too tight, possably leading to injury?

Acceleration by running to 20 and maintain, YES, that is correct. Or however far it says in the charts.

I like your idea, Im gonna try it.

Have others tried anything similar

Have a look at the thread on Italian Sprint Training. Mennea used 60m split runs while focussing on 200m (not indoors) but with greater volume and shorter recoveries. He also used sets of 60 80 100m with limited recoveries. I’m not advocating such short recoveries as he used but it might give you some ideas to adapt your programme.

Where they 80 or 100 meter split runs or just 60, 80, 100

Sets of 60 80 100, with limited recoveries 2min, 3min and 12min. Mennea did a presentation at the European Congress on Sprints in 1989 (in the GDR). Some very cheap alcohol consumed in vast quantiites over the four days if I remember correctly.

I guess this is the best place to write my question:

I’ve read that the SPP1 StoL charts given in the dvd, are mainly for 60-100 emphasis. Charlie, have you experience with some guys following this program, so only distances up to 60m, and competing a 200m? I understand that one can train his lactate capacities because of the relatively low rep rest, but i’m feeling kindda strange of doing this workout with that short distances. My main focus for the new season is the 200m, would it be fair of me to change your workouts by lowering reps but increasing the distance sometimes?

My question just comes down to this: does te special endurance trainings at monday and friday create enough capacity for keeping a high speed that lasts the whole 200m? Thanks in advance

What I also would like to find out when adapting the 60m indoor designed spp1 chart for longer distances, i.e. 200m, can one change your outline like this: drop the reps but increasing the distance, keeping the weekly volume more or less the same. But when going this approach, should one, in your opinion, gently increase the distance covered in a repitition (while keeping the total weekly volume +or- the same!) over the weeks, or for exemple always cover the same distance like 120m instead of the 60 you designed?

If you can follow my idea of covering bigger distances, i have another question: let’s say (for the purpose of this quesion only) i half the total reps in one session, but double the distance (to 120m). In that way i don’t change the total volume, but is there a bit more strength endurance covered or not ? Should one change the strength endurance part that you outlined in your schedule if one extends the distance covered in one rep ?

It would be superb getting an answer to all my question…thx in advance…

hey frednick -
what i would imagine
keep “speed sessions” as they are - they wont to get longer in distance, they are there to get Faster.

however, the speed endurance sessions, the reps i would push out further like you suggest, however also keeping a lid on the total volume per wk. also like you said is also a good idea.

depending on if you can train outdoors or have to train indoors would largely affect How far you can push out to. ie, hard to do straight 100m reps in an indoor facility. perfect technique and relaxation in these reps would be key

special endurance reps, they would perhaps require more of an emphasis too.

i learn my lesson this season trying to do 70-120 on a indoor track.

Did you try to do these off the top of the curve or something, tamfb? Do you feel it was just too stressful on your hamstrings and back or what?

as you know these runs were very fast and my curve tech is very bad and i think it put extra stress on my hamstring which lead to my problems bc i remember my first workout was 70’s and towards the end i felt it in my left hamstring but it never became a major problem until it was too late. i think if you are a good curve runner u may be able to pull it off.

exactly - you got to watch them indoors and higher reps, anything under 200m or such is asking for trouble.

tamfb, your inbox is full mate. cant send ya PM

good to go.

hey - i take it when indoors is done - you will be able to get use of Out door track for your training leading to your 1st lot of races? This would affect greatly your training…

Yes I have acces to an outdoor facility, so i can run a 100 straight. Also i will have to try some distances out just for running the curve for the 200m.

Bold, I don’t know if you are with me, cause I don’t want to raise the number of reps, but lower them, while increasing the distance a bit.

yer man, im with ya
ie, say 600m per work out
then thats say 10 x 60’s or
5 x 120’s - should be a ok i would imagine

thing to also look at is acc zone intensity limits and keep them planned out to you personally. ie, if you can only acc out to 25m, then adjust accordingly.