1986 San Jose 100m - Johnson 10.01

http://tinypic.com/r/2di56pv/7

Ben Vs. Carl

This was BJs opener for Outdoors in 1986 correct?

That year CF had his athletes in camp do both Tempo and speed on Grass.
vs. Tempo on Grass and speed on the track years before.

amazing acceleration

Exceptional athlete

If he had this start in Moscow at the Goodwill Games just 5-6 weeks later he would have surely beaten the WR at the time.
It was a sea level WR at 9.95.
I had that race on tape also and watched the slow mo many times…he did not “explode” out of the blocks the way he normally did b/c of the horrible track condition.
In fact, that race on youtube is from one of my tapes…posted many years ago by speedendurance J.Lee.

I just got back from Disneyland a few minutes ago…I’ll post tomorrow.

I remember that race as well and looks like he ran about 130 meters or so.

Yup…maybe even 140-150M

He ran only about 85M in Zurich to make up for it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1986 continued
and 5-6 weeks after Moscow was-

Zurich
10.03 into a -1.2W
50-80m is where BJ ran out of his mind…Fastest 10m split this side of Bolt.

subtract
.1 for the wind
.1 for a 1.0 wind
.05 for his early celebration

and you have dare I say -9.78

so after beating Carl twice already in 86 before his third time in Zurich. Ben would have to hear Carl’s excuses after each ass kicking.

Wouldn’t it had been great if right before the Zurich 100 Ben walks up to Carl in his Lane and says…what will be your excuse today?

Much like what Tarver did to Roy Jones Jr. in their Second fight. You gotta watch it!

RJJ vs Tarver 2 Intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xYi-hnSAnw

F Forward to the 9 min mark

meh, tarver caught roy on the downslide. prime/young roy would’ve destroyed tarver. carl and ben were both in their primes

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=UYCFR1KrD6g - gerald mcclellan n nigel benn, the fight of their lives documentary

-its good to know that gerald is doing better, no matter what he did in the past(out side the ring), as well as the fact that his sister takes care of him(the care which he needs). Its always great to hear feel good stories about elderly or disabled being taken care of by family.

-gerald g-man mcclellan was one of those fights that roy jones would not take, once in the pros. Gerald beat roy in the amateurs.

RJJ had a long and fantastic “run” no doubt but you have to give credit where credit is due.
Tarver’s footwork and slight hesitation before that Left is what did it. Timing.
If Tarver didn’t hesitate with it…RJJ was way too fast and would have blocked it or made him miss.

I watched a match this past month where I saw this same sort of Hop with both feet and punch
Check it out- at the 13 min. mark is the KO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXYYO0Rv_mU

Speed and aggression can be countered very well.
Remember Oscar De La Hoya against Quartey? In the final round ODLH throws away a straight right…ducks…and comes back with a Left hook to knock him down.
The list goes on and on with this and boxing historians and film study folks alike know this well.
Boxers with nasty counter left hooks best beware.

Oh, one more thing…rememember someone asking Tarver if RJJ was shot? Tarver said…yeah he’s shot. I’m the one who shot him or something like that.

I knew roy was done because of all the leaning on the rope he would do. In the 1st and 2nd fight Roy would kill tarver in the middle of the ring, then he would go lean on the ropes and let tarver wail away. Prior to that when did roy ever get tired? When did roy ever get hit flush. These things never happened. IMO Roy was shot in the first fight with Tarver. After He blew up to win the heavyweight belt, then lost all that weight rapidly to fight tarver only 7 months later was his undoing. He was too old to recover from that.

Yea he won the first fight but barely. He looked old then too. Then roy gets koed in both consecutive fights after. He was way passed his prime.
Roy didnt have great boxing skills, he was a supreme athlete with speed and reflexes that were metahuman. Once he lost the speed it was over.

If you knew RJJ would lose that night then you must have made a serious amount of money that night b/c the odds If I remember correctly were 7-1 in favor of RJJ. :slight_smile:
Yes, it appeared that he was unable to recover from that re: weight gain/loss…you could see that he really wanted to get “motivated” for that fight/training camp, but he just couldn’t for some unexplained reason.
He felt dissed by Tarver and in the past… that would have been enough to get his Juices flowing…so to speak lol

After all these years of lifting and staying in shape…I have always kept my weight within 165 - 175lbs…I’m usually at 172. I don’t mess around with mother nature and I don’t pretend that I understand the complex human body completely.
For example, I lifted (which is always a secondary item for me) last Summer in the early AM at 6 for the first time in my life. I lifted in the Garage with it open…fresh air…the birds singing…and sunlight.
Years from now I will be looking back at my logs and try to figure out why I felt so great compared to what I know now.
motivated
no stress
love the summer time
schedule was on point
sunshine in the early AM
not eating in the early am…only water, plenty of sleep and BCAA’s.
patient,
no goal of jumping again yet, etc etc.