150m Dream Match who would win Powel or Gay

unfortunately, no… again.

What would be the 200m world record, if it was run in a straight line?

This would make 100/200 comparison much more valid.

Charlie Thoughts?

Used to be considered .5 but that was when the old track rules were in place (100m turn, 100m straight) Now the turns are at least 113m and the differential is much less. EG MJ ran 10.11 for the first 100 in Atlanta, only a few hundredths off his best flat 100 ever. Additionally, there is the psychological effect of seeing the entire straight (better to keep your head down for awhile!)
I guess the best evidence is that there are some terrific 200 runners like x-man and Spearman who are running in the 10.09 range as well as a burn the turn guy like Tyson who is 9.84.

If you want to go further, you can get a big tail wind across the corner and not have it register as Wind Assisted as the measurement is on the straight with a tunneled wind meter.

My prediction

T.Gay, 9.84+9.2 = 19.02, but that would be a 0.60 improvement from his current pb. So the time would be closer to 19.2-.19.4.

It would be interesting to see how fast the first 100m split is. Given Gays pb of 9.84, would he travel through the first 100m close to 100pb or would the strategy be to conserve early( first 100m 9.95) ?

9.95 would still be faster than his openings now by.2 approx. Hard to know what the cost would be and how smothly he could hit a 9.95. I’m pretty sure he could hit a very relaxed 10.00 to 10.05 and perhaps save some energy not dealing with centrifugal forces for gains on the other end.

good point

Tyson has already run one or two 10.0x turns for his 200m so I don’t think a sub 10 is out of the question on the straight.

I’ve heard estimates of 3 tenths of a second to account for the turn, but this would depend highly on bend running ability, the width of turn and the track surface. Charlie is dead on about the psychological element, there’s one in Sydney and it just seems to go on for ever.

Didn’t Tommy Smith run a 19.5 on a straight dirt track in 1966?

And on a side not Atlanta and Osaka both had 120m+ straights.

Yes, Tommy ran 19.5 str ht and 20.0 curve ht on hte old shorter bends

Before the draft in November, every year the Australian Football League conducts a Draft camp where the best prospects in the country are put through a series of tests to ascertain the abilities of each potential draftee.

One of the tests is a 20m sprint.

(I personally think the 20m sprint is too short and feel a 40 or 50m test would be better as it would offer a wider range of differences between the genuinely quick guys and the very slow.)

At the moment the range of times are not too significant.

Anyway my major issue is the times the AFL claims these blokes can run. The record is held by Danyle Pearce (Port Adelaide) with a time for 20m of 2.29sec. Many others are around the 2.5 with even the bigger, less agile blokes running around 2.8 to 3secs.

Given that the world’s fastest athletes can’t break 2.8 for 20m, (Ben Johnson ran 2.87s for the first 20m in Seoul on his way to 9.79) it’s ludicrous to comprehend these times, but the AFL recruiting experts accept these times when they sit down to make their selections at the draft camp.

Think about it - according to the AFL, Pearce would have been 2.5 to 3m in front of Ben Johnson after 20m…:slight_smile:

That’s the way American football is especially in college. Everyone runs the 40y dash in 4.2-4.4 regardless if they’re a hero NCAA 60m indoor champion or some mediocre dud.

I would love to see one of these guys get a free entry into a high level international 60m event that’s put on live television.

I don’t think the AFL would use light gates. So the timing would be manual, with the first foot on the line. Light gates are hard to set up on grass, as the uneven surface doesn’t allow for the sensors to be aligned. If they where set up on grass, testing large volumes of athletes would not run smoothly. I’ve set up gates on grass and they invariable need to adjusted continuously.

Even if the times where done using light gates. Reaction times needs to be added. Under gates momentum exists before the first gate is passed, 0.25 needs to added. If touch pads are used then only reaction time needs to be added.

I d say your justified in your doubts, those times are bs!! :eek:

I found the best way to ran straight 200s is too maintain forward lean for longer and extend the acceleration phase for longer. I 've tired going flat out from the start and time made up early is lost late.

Ezinwa run his 10.18 after doing a block of straight 200s on grass.

Sorry, that should read “bends”.

was that the tempo work down in meadowbank?

Yes, its at Meadowbank. There’s enough room for a straight 300. The ovals are not in the best shape now with all the rain recently. Soccer and baseball season are over, so the track should get quite fast come summer.

At the moment, its SE work. Tempo straights 200s require ^ aerobic fitness. If your referring to Ezinwa, it was 200x8 in 28s with 90s recovery. And yes, he didn’t finish it.

A free standing start, with light beams at 1m can very well be 0,4 seconds worth…or more

charles my-boy makes sense, first 100 is in the blocks the other 100 is moving, mj ran 10.08.
donovan ran 9.84… u see…

that hidious race i put my money on donavan
not mj … speed is speed… ciao