100 meter help needed

Im a freshman in high school. I have a 12:80 100 meter dash. I beat everyone off of the blocks and keep it for about 20 meters. Our coach has us do a lot of 50s and 100s for practice and i do mostly oylmpic lifting for weights. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a top speed issue. I have the same problem, and to fix it you need to develop MaxV. For the 50s and 100s, how much rest are you getting in between runs, and how many runs are you doing per workout? Are you doing these on consecutive days? Are they supposed to be full speed every time? When are you lifting (before or after running)? What lifts are you doing specifically? What are the set/rep schemes? What’s your height, weight, BF%, etc.?

As far as developing top speed, the best way I know how to do it is through flying sprints. Basically, you take a 30m run in (where you slowly accelerate) until you reach top speed and then you try and hold it for a set distance (anywhere from 10-30m, depending on your skill level). You take a full recovery in between runs. What you are doing now sounds like it could be developing top speed, but it’s not specifically designed for it. See if you can answer the questions, and I’ll try and help you out. Anyone else?

I’ve found that jumps & bounds helped my top speed alot. You probably don’t want to do a ton of jumps in season but it’s definately something you can work on just before the season and into it a little bit.

Repeated jumps in place (quick ground contact), low hurdle hops, speed bounds, bounds for distance are all good. I know Charlie usually isn’t a fan of speed bounds (or regular bounds) but I think they would help a younger athlete.

I agree that stuff like flying 30m runs are also helpful.

At the 12.8ish level, there are other issues besides training that could improve your time. Do you notice yourself making a forced effort to run fast or are you relaxed and fluid? Do you run with a tall, powerful center of gravity, or do your hips drop? By improving your technique, I’m sure you could knock impressive amounts off your time.

I lift on mondays wendsdays and fridays before school
Monday- Snatch 3X5
Squat 4X4
Good mornings 2X8
Biceps 3X10
Triceps 3X10
Bench 5X5

Wednesday- Power Clean3X4
Split-Squat3x6
Straight Leg Dead Lift3x5
Shoulder Raises3X8
Flys 3X8
Bench 5X3

Friday-
Clean and Press3X5
Squat4X4
Straight Leg Deadlift With Plyo box3X5
Rows3X8
Bench5X5

I do Core everyday im 5’10 165lb. our coach usually just has us walk back whatever we ran. My BF is 9.

I’d say you’re squatting and doing olympic lifts too much. That’s almost the same lifting schedule I did when I ran 12.8 :smiley:

If you’re olympic lifting and squatting fairly heavy 2-3 times per week, then you’re probably pretty tired from doing so. Remember, running is your priority.

Maybe try something like:

Mon- snatch, squat(heavy), good mornings, rows
Wed- Bench, shoulder raise, bicep, tricep, flys
Fri- Power clean, squat (light weight), straight leg deadlift, rows

BTW, Back when I was in HS, I cut my time from 12.5hand time to 11.54FAT in about 4 months once I started training properly. It’s all about doing quality lifts & jumps, not quantity, and having a reasonable running schedule.

The rest in between runs could also be a problem. Walking back 100m is not a full recovery for a full sprint like that, so you’re not gonna be getting a very quality run after the first time through. See if you can try and walk back really slowly to the line, and maybe tell your coach your tight and that you have to stretch a little once you get back to the line. Anything you can do to buy you time in between runs would help.

What where the plyos were you doing mortac?

Nothing too complex. I would do something like:

jumps in place 3x10 (quick ground contacts)

Box jumps (~18" box)…ground to box to ground to box…quick ground contacts

alternate leg bounds for distance 3x10

single leg speed bounds 3x20m

I know Verkhoshansky did a study on the effects of distance bounds and speed bounds on 100m performance. It basically showed that speed bounds helped short speed and distance bounds helped to speed. A combination of both was best for the 100m performance. This study is in one of his books and also in Supertraining by Mel Siff.

Please remember, that if you are already doing a high volume of sprint work, you probably want to keep the plyo #s low. For example, maybe only do 1 or 2 sets of the above.

Significant gains can also be made when you mix a low number of jumps in your traditional lifting schedule. For example,

Mon- 5x3 snatch w/ 1x3 box jumps after every set of snatches
3x5 squat(heavy) w/ 1x6 jumps in place after every set of squats
3x5 good mornings w/ 1x3 overhead medicine ball throws after every set of good mornings
rows

I coach college track and we do alot of the lifts mixed with jumps to train for the 55m dash. This year I was given full control of 3 sprinter/jumpers and here were the results for the 55m. I followed most of Charlie’s recommendations (I have all of his literature/videos) and also included jumps in my lifting sessions like above:
Athlete#1- 7.04 (2004), 6.49(2005)
Athlete#2- 7.01 (2004), 6.67(2005)
Athlete#3- 7.00 (2004), 6.73(2005 w/ a stumble start)

It should be noted that we still have 1 100m sprinter who remains training with the “old methods” with another coach (basically training like a long to short 400m guy)
Athlete#4- 6.73(2004), 6.69(2005)

I usually lift by myself. Is there something other than the medicine ball that i could do?

Well if you have medicine balls you could possibly just go outside after each set and throw them from knee position up over your head for max height.

If you don’t do med ball you could just do good mornings without any throw or jump. Maybe you could also just do like 1x2 standing long jump or something.

I usually do 30 minutes of plyos and stuff on tuesday and thursday. Does that affect my workout?

I think you’re going to have to post an entire week example of what you are doing for me to comment further.

I do weights every monday wednesday friday and on Sat and Sun i talk a break.
tuesday-
Alternate Bounding
Depth Jumps
Skipping

thursday-
Single Leg Bounding
Box Jumps
Rim touches

These are my main exercises and i do about 2-3 sets and about 10 reps of each.

and your running?

I run last week went like this

Monday-
6-100s
8-40s

Tuesday-
4-150 meter build ups
2-400 meter

Wednesday-
200, 300 , 400, 500, 400, 300, 200

Thursday-
4- 30
3-50
3-100s

Friday-
5-300s

I put together your week based on the running, plyo, and lifting info you provided. That’s a pretty big workload. I’m not going to suggest anything against your coach’s practices because that might not be practical… but if I were you I would adjust to something like shown below.

If you think the volume of lifting is too low (it’s not), just do all your lifts harder. Think to yourself “crap, I’m only doing a few things today so I better destroy these lifts!”. I would also do ab work such as v-situps and crossover crunches (crunch up with hands behind head moving your right elbow towards your left knee and vice-versa).

Remember that if your form & conditioning are good, then your sprints & jumps will give you your top speed.

Monday-
6-100s
8-40s
Snatch 5x3 with 1x3 box jumps after each set
Squat 4X4 with 1x6 skips after each set (if possible)
Good mornings 2X8 w/ 1x10 bounds after each set(if possible)
rows 3x8
abs

Tuesday-
4-150 meter build ups
2-400 meter
abs

Wednesday-
200, 300 , 400, 500, 400, 300, 200
Bench
Shoulder raise
Triceps
Rows

Thursday-
4- 30
3-50
3-100s
Hang clean 8x2 medium weight with 1x2 jumps in place after each set (quick rebound)
Speed squat 3x8 light(40%?) with 1 set box jumps after each set
Straight Leg Deadlift With Plyo box3X5
abs

Friday-
5-300s

i think what u are all missing here that he is a freshman,i remember when i started T&F my 100 meters were in 14 seconds no i do 11 second see the diff ,so dont rush up u will improve by training

Well… you are a freshman, but a mid 12 is fairly good for a frosh where I live. I trained with this guy my soph year in between indoor and outdoor track and saw huge speed gains, using different variations of Bound’s and Jumps.

Freshman year Pr - 12.5
Soph year - 11.7

Just be careful what you do, so you dont over do it. your body is still growing fairly rapidly and you dont want to mess somthing up by working yourself to hard.