Why are 40 times stagnant?

I agree. But why don’t these quarterbacks train to get faster? I can pretty much guarantee that they don’t have a clue how to gain speed.

There are only so many hours in a day. Their time is better spent working on things that will more directly impact their ability to make plays (such as working on timing with receivers, studying film, etc.)

I believe that many QBs actually do train for speed in the off season. Now whether or not their programs are effective…?

there have been “good” atheltes who were great players because of there ability to make plays not there abilities in athletic test, the bench press doesn’t come out to the 50 yard line and get set up for a reps test a 225 to detrmine the score of the game. Emmitt Smith was a guy while a great back and by any standards a very good athelte who didn’t have the measureables of other backs, but preformed much better.

However there have been plenty of great atheltes who couldn’t stick or be consetent in the nfl…tons, pretty much every 1 out of every 2 or 3 DB 's ever drafted.

Davan,
So Payton Manning isn’t a great QB because he hasn’t won a championship?

Peyton Manning is a great QB because he puts his team in the best possible position to win. That’s all you can expect out of any great athlete. No matter what, there is always a element of chance that can either work against you or not. If you put your team in the best possible position to win numerous times, you should be successful.

2006 NFL Scouting Combine

Group 7 – tight ends
40-yard dash Vernon Davis Maryland 4.38
Tony Scheffler W. Michigan 4.54
Joe Klopfenstein Colorado 4.62
Leonard Pope Georgia 4.62
Garrett Mills Tulsa 4.64
Owen Daniels Wisconsin 4.65
David Thomas Texas 4.67

Broad jump Vernon Davis Maryland 10-foot-8
Marcedes Lewis UCLA 9-foot-10
Leonard Pope Georgia 9-foot-10
Jason Pociask Wisconsin 9-foot-7
Ton Scheffler W. Michigan 9-foot-7
Owen Daniels Wisconsin 9-foot-6
Quinnn Sypniewski Colorado 9-foot-6

Vertical jump Vernon Davis Maryland 42
Leonard Pope Georgia 37½
David Thomas Texas 37½
Marcedes Lewis UCLA 37
Joe Klopfenstein Colorado 36
Garrett Mills Tulsa 35½

Hmm, one guy seems to stick out even though his athleticism may have been previously ignored.

Vernon Davis also has a bench press of 460 lbs, a squat of 685 lbs and cleans 350 lbs. All of this in addition to his 42 inch vert, 10 foot 8 broad jump, and 4.38 40. Remember this guy is supposed to be a tight end! I don’t know if this is the guy I was referring to earlier in this thread but he sure looks damn good!

Speaking of the 2006 NFL Scouting Combine, I thought it was a joke when the bench press record was tied at 45 reps of 225 lbs. That clown was a joke. He only did partial or 3/4 reps for a majority of his 45 reps. Other guys at the combine were just bouncing it off there chest. THe most I ever tried to do in this test was 20 reps and at that time my 1 rep max was 365 lbs. Now it would probably be 22 or something like that. But hey if I can do partial reps (which may allow me to do 4 more reps) and bounce off my chest (which allows me 4 more reps) then hell I could do 30 if I was at the combine! It really makes you wonder whether that Clevelend S & C coach isn’t a few screws loose or maybe its just the NFL’s lame standards! I was always taught full extenstion and no bounce!

:eek:

I assume 42" is vertical with an approach. How many steps do you get for your approach?

deduct at least 3inches off that figure for a truer vert number - this is how they measure it - LAME… :rolleyes:

reach measured with 2 hands

then they jump with one hand…

No, no approach. No drop step. The record is actually 46 or something.
One of these guys actually broke Defrancos facilty record with a 42 or 43 inch jump. Its on his website. At the combine this guy jumped 40 1/2.
Also what is impt. to note is that the 40 times are automatic this year.

Thanks for the info guys. Quick, I can’t find that vertical leap video. Can you provide a link? I’d really like to see it.

Yes, QUIK, I believe that Boss Bailey jumped 46" at the combine in 2004 (or maybe it was at his Pro Day).

Peyton Manning has been consistent and, at the very least, made it to the playoffs. That is something Vick can’t say while in a much weaker division and conference.

They have used electronic timing for the 40 at least for the last 4 or 5 years, if not longer, at the combine. It is started with a hand switch/trigger and then the laser on the finish.

In years past, they usually performed vertical jump first on the on-field day. This year (at least for some groups) they preformed the 40, then the skill drills, then the vertical jump. They still did the 2 arm reach/1 arm jump for the verticals.

Ive been watching the workouts everyday on nfl.com and I have yet to see the hand trigger at the start. I don’t think theyre automatic times. Maybe Supervenom can clarify as I think hes watched some of it.

They don’t have a hand trigger at the start but instead they have 1 guy in a seat starting the electronic timer by use of a remote while there is another guy regulating making sure there is no rolling starts. While the rest of the NFL coaches in the stands are using stopwatches and compare times when the person is finished running.

so…when doeas the clock starts?The judge starts it when the back foot leaves?.I don’t understand why they dont use fully auto timing…I saw two pair of ligths(photocellulas?9)at 20 and 30y maybe…
regarding vertical…the pic froma bove comes not from the offcial combine…i think here the reach is tested qith one arm…I think i saw on nfltv.–

If what you guys are saying is true it is then half FAT. WTF???
I too would like the know the point in that. Why not use the touch pad?

The biggest skill competition in the world and they don’t even have good technology :confused:

Hmmm ya not such a great system. If Im not mistaken, most of the error in timing occurs at the start correct?

If you check 35 minutes into the Day 4 video with the QBs and WRs working out, you get a good view of Chad Jackson doing his second run. I timed it and I actually got slower times than the official/unofficial times, and handtimes are supposed to be faster.

I admit that the camera angle for the finish was not the absolute best, but I dont think its enough to overcome a margin of error of about 0.2ish between electronic and handtime. Though, I guess now since its HALF-auto then it could be possible…

I dont know if thats good evidence for sucky timing or not but its just something I noticed. Either way, watching Chad Jackson run was cool.