Wariner Leaves Hart

Sydney is as hot as Texas at the moment. I hope he trains at Homebush. It will definitely be interesting to compare 44s athlete to a 43s athlete.

It does make you wonder what role MJ played in this.

I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that Hart was coming out to Australia with Wariner and was likely to do a chat on his program ideas. That would have been great.

I’ve met Hart a few times but mostly on the circuit and that was when he was with MJ.

He was so candid and (I think) honest in answering questions.

I was extremely impressed because, like all the great coaches I’ve had the privilege of meeting, they are open with their ideas (maybe) because by the time people are interested enough, they’ve already produced the dominant athlete of the age and even if you had a great athlete and coached them on the same program it would take years to bring him/her up to speed, by which time the MJ or BJ of the era would be comfortably retired.

I think great coaches are open with information because they probably asked a lot of questions on their own rise to the top. Inquisitive minds are usually open and sharing. No harm there.

Yup - first thing I thought of.

And what role he’s now going to have to play … unless he had this anticipated for all along.

Leave us alone!

I’d agree with this. Also, in track and field, it seems like everyone is down to Earth and approachable. Most top athletes I know are fairly in tune with the fact they have to work hard and be patient and that arrogance probably won’t get them anywhere meaningful – at least not in this sport. :).

I read that Mike Ford is going to coach him now… He’s training Darrold at the moment…

I suppose you need to know what happens on the track and whether the good old boy still provides the coaching service up to the standards of before. If he has been resting on his laurels, so to speak, maybe . . . :confused:

I remember the situation with Don King (take 50% of $100mil rather than 80% of $10mil). The whole point of creating a successful business relationship is that everyone will win. Of course Warriner can find himself a new coach (PLEASE PLEASE GO TO JOHN SMITH - SO WE CAN COMPARE THE DIFFERENCE) but he’s an idiot to change what has been working so well so far!

Was there an erosion of trust etc…before this issue of a pay reduction.

What is MJ’s role in this? Is it similar to Freeman and Bideau (in the business and track sense)?

It would seem very money hungry to other less money to a successfully partnership or he has naive advisors to do that…

I think there are other issues involved.

Baylor assistant says he will coach Wariner for Olympics

Reuters

Updated: January 30, 2008, 2:23 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. – Olympic and world 400-meter champion Jeremy Wariner will be coached by Michael Ford after Wariner parted company with his longtime trainer Clyde Hart, Ford said on Wednesday.

Hart said on Tuesday that he and Wariner had parted ways because of a contract dispute.

“We haven’t worked out any details yet, but I have been working with him the past couple of weeks,” Ford told Reuters by telephone from his office in Waco, Texas.

Ford, who worked with Wariner at Baylor University, said the athlete would continue to train in Waco at the Baylor track.

“I don’t think anything is going to change much,” said Ford, an assistant coach under Hart at Baylor for the past eight years. “I learned a lot under coach Hart and I think that’s probably a reason Jeremy asked me to work with him.”

Ford said Wariner’s ambitions remained the same.

“The ultimate goal is to try to win the gold medal [at the Beijing Olympics] and do well,” Ford said. “I don’t think his goals have changed because he has a new coach. We are going to shoot for the same things that he and Coach Hart would have been doing.”

Wariner, who will make a promotional trip to Beijing next week, will begin his Olympic campaign with two races in Australia, Ford said.

Wariner is scheduled to run a 200-meter race in Sydney on Feb. 16, and a 400-meter race in Melbourne on Feb. 21.

Michael Ford says he is Wariner’s new coach

By Gene Cherry

ROCKY MOUNT, North Carolina, Jan 30 (Reuters) - Olympic and world 400 metres champion Jeremy Wariner will be coached by Michael Ford after parting company with his long-time trainer Clyde Hart, Ford said on Wednesday.

Hart said on Tuesday that he and Wariner had parted ways because of a contract dispute.

“We haven’t worked out any details yet but I have been working with him the past couple of weeks,” Ford told Reuters by telephone from his office in Waco, Texas.

Ford, who worked with Wariner at Baylor University, said the athlete would continue to train in Waco at the Baylor track.

“I don’t think anything is going to change much,” said Ford, an assistant coach under Hart at Baylor for the past eight years. “I learned a lot under coach Hart and I think that’s probably a reason Jeremy asked me to work with him.”

The coach said Wariner’s ambitions remained the same.

“The ultimate goal is to try to win the gold medal (at the Beijing Olympics) and do well,” Ford said.

“I don’t think his goals have changed because he has a new coach. We are going to shoot for the same things that he and coach Hart would have been doing.”

Wariner, who will make a promotional trip to Beijing next week, will begin his Olympic campaign with two races in Australia, Ford said.

He will run a 200 metres in Sydney on Feb. 16 and a 400 in Melbourne on Feb. 21. (Editing by Sonia Oxley)

From T&F News.

Baylor’s Hart Not Coaching Wariner in 2008
Track & Field News
29 January 2008

WACO. Texas – Legendary Baylor track and field coach, Clyde Hart, announced today that he will no longer serve as the personal coach for Jeremy Wariner, the world’s number-one ranked 400-meter runner and defending Olympic Champion.

Hart, considered the world’s top 400-meter coach and the coach of the past three Olympic 400-meter champions, cited that the major reason for declining to coach Jeremy was a new contract proposal that represented significant changes from previous contracts.

“I have enjoyed the five years that I spent as Jeremy’s coach,” said Hart. In addition to the Olympic gold medal, Wariner won the gold medal at the 2005 and 2007 World Championships, setting a personal record each year. “I felt that he was on pace to break the world record last year. Although he didn’t achieve that goal, he still was able to run 43.45, the third fastest of all time,” Hart said. “I feel Jeremy will continue to be successful because he has a strong desire to excel and is blessed with tremendous athletic ability. I wish him the very best in his pursuit of Olympic gold,” said Hart.

Hart has also coached Sanya Richards since she turned pro after the 2004 Olympics. There was no World Championship in 2006, but Hart guided Wariner and Richards to undefeated seasons outdoors in the 400 meters that year, including an American record for Richards and a sweep of the IAFF Golden League meets for both athletes.

Hart will continue to coach Richards, the world’s top-ranked female runner over 400 meters the past three years, as well as continue his duties coaching Baylor’s 400-meter runners and 4x400-meter relays. Baylor’s men’s 4x400-meter relay won both the indoor and outdoor NCAA titles in 2007.

Baylor’s head coach for 42 years before moving to the Director of Track and Field in 2005, Hart has coached 32 national champions (15 individual and 17 relay) and 475 men’s All-America performances, including 188 women’s all-America performances. His men’s 4x400 meter relay teams earned outdoor All-America status for 28 consecutive years and captured 16 NCAA titles. Hart’s athletes turned in 10 World-Record performances (9 individual and 1 relay) and 9 NCAA record performances.

Hart has been named National Track and Field Coach of the Year eight times in the last 18 years. He was named NCAA Indoor Coach of the Year in1989 and 1996, and was named the Nike National Track and Field Coach of the Year by USA Track and Field in 1996, 2004 and 2006. Additionally, Hart received the United States Olympic Track and Field Coach of the Year award in 1996, 2004, and 2006. In the eleven years that this award has been given, no other coach has won it more than once.

IT WAS HART’S IDEA FOR WARINER TO START HIS OLYMPIC SEASON IN AUSTRALIA!

HART WAS DEFINITRELY GOING TO OZ WITH WARINER. NOT NOW. That’s the late mail - kk

Baylor assistant to be Olympic 400 champion Wariner’s new coach

By Jim Vertuno, AP Sports Writer

AUSTIN, Texas — Baylor University assistant track coach Michael Ford said Wednesday he has agreed to coach defending Olympic 400 meters champion Jeremy Wariner as he prepares for the Beijing Games this summer.

Wariner split with longtime mentor Clyde Hart, who coached Wariner from skinny high school kid to one of the biggest track stars in the world over the past five years, in a contract dispute. Hart said he rejected a new contract for less money.

Ford, 34, said he hasn’t yet worked out contract details.

“Jeremy asked me to work with him after things fell out with him and coach Hart,” Ford said.

Ford ran the 400 at Baylor under Hart and has been an assistant there for several years. He helped recruit Wariner to Baylor out of high school. His coaching style won’t be much different from Hart, Ford said.

“Training-wise 95 percent of it won’t deviate from what Jeremy is already doing,” Ford said.

Hart has long been considered a 400 guru with an international reputation for developing some of the biggest names in the track - he coached Olympic champion and world record holder Michael Johnson - and his split with Wariner in an Olympic year was a surprise.

In addition to the 2004 Olympic gold medal, Wariner won the gold medal at the 2005 and 2007 World Championships, setting a personal record each year under Hart’s tutoring. He’s favored to repeat his Olympic medal this year.

[b]Ford said he’s ready to step into Hart’s shoes on the international stage.

“I know the goals are still the same, to win the gold medal and try to break the (world) record. I think I’m capable of doing the job,” he said.[/b]

According to Wariner’s Web site, he’s scheduled to compete at the Sydney Grand Prix in Australia on Feb. 16. [b]Ford said he hoped his deal with Wariner wouldn’t strain his relationship with Hart. The two coaches met to talk about it in private Wednesday.

“We’re going to work through it,” Ford said. “We had a big hug after our meeting today.”[/b]
The Associated Press

IT WAS HART’S IDEA FOR WARINER TO START HIS OLYMPIC SEASON IN AUSTRALIA!

HART WAS DEFINITELY GOING TO OZ WITH WARINER. NOT NOW. That’s the late mail - kk

Baylor assistant to be Olympic 400 champion Wariner’s new coach

By Jim Vertuno, AP Sports Writer

AUSTIN, Texas — Baylor University assistant track coach Michael Ford said Wednesday he has agreed to coach defending Olympic 400 meters champion Jeremy Wariner as he prepares for the Beijing Games this summer.

Wariner split with longtime mentor Clyde Hart, who coached Wariner from skinny high school kid to one of the biggest track stars in the world over the past five years, in a contract dispute. Hart said he rejected a new contract for less money.

Ford, 34, said he hasn’t yet worked out contract details.

“Jeremy asked me to work with him after things fell out with him and coach Hart,” Ford said.

Ford ran the 400 at Baylor under Hart and has been an assistant there for several years. He helped recruit Wariner to Baylor out of high school. His coaching style won’t be much different from Hart, Ford said.

“Training-wise 95 percent of it won’t deviate from what Jeremy is already doing,” Ford said.

Hart has long been considered a 400 guru with an international reputation for developing some of the biggest names in the track - he coached Olympic champion and world record holder Michael Johnson - and his split with Wariner in an Olympic year was a surprise.

In addition to the 2004 Olympic gold medal, Wariner won the gold medal at the 2005 and 2007 World Championships, setting a personal record each year under Hart’s tutoring. He’s favored to repeat his Olympic medal this year.

[b]Ford said he’s ready to step into Hart’s shoes on the international stage.

“I know the goals are still the same, to win the gold medal and try to break the (world) record. I think I’m capable of doing the job,” he said.[/b]

According to Wariner’s Web site, he’s scheduled to compete at the Sydney Grand Prix in Australia on Feb. 16. [b]Ford said he hoped his deal with Wariner wouldn’t strain his relationship with Hart. The two coaches met to talk about it in private Wednesday.

“We’re going to work through it,” Ford said. “We had a big hug after our meeting today.”[/b]
The Associated Press