Wariner & Hart

This kind of leaves out the fact that, in Hart’s program, people even with the same PB may come from completely different backgrounds. That seems obvious, but when someone like Mark Teter comes in from an endurance background, his 20 point 200 can be a bit different than someone like Jacob Norman who just has freaky top speed. Interestingly though, people of both backgrounds have gotten grinded out of existence by the heavy running volumes.

From what I’ve seen and heard (from someone who actually trained @ Baylor), there isn’t much change for paces unless you are going to go ahead of pace. Athletes are pretty much expected to hit pace or exceed it if of a higher caliber.

Not much different then most “tempo schools”, you would have 1000 different workout groups if you had different times for every athlete. I’m going over the line but I understand what your saying.

Hart splits his 400m runners.

One is a “200” group while the other is the 400 group. MJ, and I suspect Wariner, were in the first group. It is in fact the program that Hart was forced to develop specifically for MJ. There is at least some speed oriented training for these athletes. The 400 group is on the old program which we see splattered all over the internet. I suspect that this is how Hart would have trained a guy like Teter.

So Hart does take into account the athlete’s background, but not in a manner that I think is correct. The workload is different, but the paces and themes are generally similar.

In closing all that I can say is that we have covered Hart’s 400m training in incredible detail, numerous times on this forum. There are better ways to get it done.

I hate the way he says “strength and speed” are synonamous. Why does he call endurance strength? It should be “endurance and speed are synonamous”. I’ve often heard 400m athletes say, “oh I’ve really improved my strength from doing all this overdistance work”. Confuses the hell out of me!

I agree that is a bit confusing.