Usain Bolt has the perfect body shape for sprinting success, researchers find

Exactly, I call BS. Though, I do believe that short powerful guys have a sprinting advantage up to 60m.

0518Williams9-v6.jpg

0518Williams5-v6.jpg

I believe Usain Bolt has the ideal sprinting body for Usain Bolt. This sounds like a rehash of the biometric analysis of Michael Phelps. Whoever is at the top of the sport at the moment is held out as the theoretical model of what other athletes should emulate (or more appropriately have no hope of emulating, so they might as well just give up now). The chapter in Speed Trap where Charlie describes all of the 100m finalists is a perfect example of this as he explicitly calls attention to the fact that there was no single ideal body type for a top sprinter. He quotes Abraham Lincoln who said the ideal length of a man’s leg was long enough to reach from the crotch to the ground. If light and lean is the ideal body type, why weren’t sports scientists holding Calvin Smith out as the ideal back in the early 80’s after he broke the world record? Or think of the '93 World Championships, where Linford Christie (6’2") and Andre Cason (5’7") went 1, 2 in the 100m.

I also recall Charlie mentioning in his seminar with Ian King that after Hasely Crawford won the 100m in Montreal in '76, some sports scientists talked him into letting them take a muscle biopsy from his legs. (Charlie was amazed Hasely went along with it.) What did they find? 50% fast twitch, 50% slow twitch. There’s another theoretical model blown.