usain 9.77

Definitely not the model for relaxation over the better part of the last half of the race (based upon facial expression)

Not something I recall seeing from him during many races.

Something wasn’t quite right. He had a bigger squint in his face as well. Looks to be on his way. A few more decent races before his best yet…

That’s how he looks like when he’s going for a WR (see Beijing 200m). The same happened with Asafa when he ran his first WR in Paris.

I think he panic after he stumbled. He came up quick with a short drive phase. I bet he hasnt practiced relaxation after a stumble. Same thing happened to dix a few weeks ago when he stumbled. By the end of the race he looked bad.

Boy! Are we getting fussy! Check the film again.
The guy got left at the start, when normally he’d be well in front, and then devastated the field with 9.77, just over the limit. I have no doubt he would have gone well in the 9.60s with his normal start. Better stay tuned for what’s coming!

whens jamaican nationals?

next week, wonder how Asafa is doing?

canada, US, jamaican nationals all next week, should be good.

and same, he’s been hiding after his couple of losses.

the exception, of course, being the sideways celebration the last 20m of the 9.69 performance.

also remember the 9.72 at the 2007 Reebok Grand Prix prior to Beijing. While the video I have isn’t that clear it doesn’t appear as if he’s straining to the degree we clearly see in this recent performance.

while he’s more than fast enough to strain and still beat the best in the world, including world records, I think it’s safe to affirm what we already know, regardless of the sprinter, in stating that he’ll run even faster when he’s not ‘trying’ so hard.

It almost seems perfect for a major stimulus before a taper leading to nationals.

That’ll do it!

usain tapers for nationals? :smiley:

depends on what he has lined up I guess but Jam might be a good place to go for a record with sufficient time to prepare for WCs
So much depends on heats, what he and Mills decide he needs, etc. I would just keep the training so that the possibility isn’t ruled out

Usain will watch powells race like last year and still run a 9.6, might have to turn his head around quite a bit this time though :wink:

I didn’t mean to say that he strains whenever he runs a world record, it just seems to happen sometimes when he really wants to run a fast time. This was clearly the case in the Beijing 200m and in Ostrava where a $100,000 WR bonus was on offer. He clearly wasn’t going for the record in the Bejing 100m final.

In 2005, Asafa had run a couple of 9.8s before Paris, so he really wanted to break the WR there. He did it, but this race is the only one outside World and Olympic finals where I’ve seen him strain.

In any case, I don’t think that the facial straining caused Usain to tighten up in Ostrava. His final 40m must have been one of if not the fastest ever run. All he needed in this race to go under 9.7 again was a good reaction time at the start.

So are we gonna get some splits :cool::stuck_out_tongue:

I second Track man’s request. Do you have splits?

Unfortunately, I don’t have the software to get accurate splits. If I had to estimate splits I’d go for something like 4.80 for 40m, 5.63 for 50m, 6.45 for 60m, etc. His last 50m would thus have been covered in 4.14 and his last 40 in 3.32s. These are very rough (gu)estimates, however. Let’s see if Pierrejean can come up with something more accurate (Please!).

Could he have split a 0.81?

With a +2.1m/s at his back, it’s very possible.