Two 40's

I just bought the new iPhone and decided to take some video after my lower body lift tonight. I wasn’t totally fresh (runs are about 90% effort) and the wall was a little too close to the finish for comfort but I thought I would share some of the footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3FZVMDB704

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhqlfUN_n-A

Comments? Suggestions?

yes, get a camcorder… seriously;)
or at least - try only getting like 10m, much closer in.

Why - pausing and it was a blur. Try some editing software also and try to either get Stills from the footage or put up in Slow mo - again try to only put up around 10m. 16sec of it was before you even ran (people get bored quickly…)

Just some suggestions. cant really comment on the run (blurry)

Wow I was referring more about comments about the run rather than the filming! It would be nice to get a camcorder, tripod, etc and really make a nice production but I prefer to direct my attention and energy to the training itself. The phone was easy and convenient and I think that the film quality is good enough for my purposes.

if it comes up good on ya ph, then thats cool. On my end, i cant tell how your running looks as for the reasons stated. sorry dude

Some hurdle hops from today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LjAUi604Go

That looks heaps better footage wise.
Jumps looked good too - have you ever tried doing a 20m run off at the end of the jumps?

We used to do sprints on the back end of hops in college and I’ve seen Linford do the same. However after doing 360 yards of sprinting prior to the jumps, I didn’t feel as if it was necessary. Typically I progress from sprints to hops to MB to weights so I don’t really overlap any of the elements.

What have your results been with it (basically a really high depth jump into a sprint)?

Hurdle jumps are great. They seem to make one feel lighter at top speed and hence for top speed to be increased. When one has adapted to it naturally that is.
360 yards should be ok volume to add a 10-20m run off, We only used to do around 4 Sets of hurdle jumps, so thats only like 80m more volume. WE did notice an improvement once run-offs were able to be added. ie, we didnt just jump right into it, eventually we progressed into the run-offs. And once the run-offs improved, sprinting improved.
Like you said though, if the 360m or yard volume is hammering you with all other items and its just enough, and you still want to add a run-off, then something has to be Reduced? From where, run volume? Med ball volume? etc.
then you have frequency, maybe once per wk u do them like u do, and once per wk with a run off, or maybe per 2wks?

The other thing i would maybe look at, is a faster tap between the hurdles on the ground. For that, i would maybe look at closer hurdles perhaps? Or progress to closer hurdles as you adapt.
Eventually, we used to have the hurdles all touching the ends of each hurdle. Its a bit more risky though

What sort of Med ball hops or throws do you use?

The hurdle progression I use is something I took off Stu McMillan’s work. As I progress through a training block I gradually increase the distance between hurdles while concurrently raising the height of the hurdles. Eventually trying to get 39-42 inches with 12 feet of spacing.

Another variant I have used is doing hurdle hops over 30 yards to work on elastic endurance.

With the MB throws I most often utilize the “Bomb” sequence from Pfaff, although I sometimes substitute the OHB for a vertical toss to keep from activating the spinal erectors. I also will do this series using a 2-3 second pause to simulate exploding out of a stance.

How heavy is the MB you use in your throws?

Usually 12 lbs. or the 6kg ball, occasionally I’ll throw the 8kg ball or a shot put when available.

Is that even possible? I’ve been able to SLJ 3.1M and I couldn’t even imagine doing that.

Apparently Stu was able to get two of his top guys to be able to do it going into the '99 outdoor season.

you can get 12’ between each hurdle while they are 38-42" high??? that is ridiculous… wish you had footage of that, would be so cool to see…

most ive seen is 9’ between hurdles at only 30" high.

peace

I haven’t progressed that far yet, the best I have done thus far is 39’’ at 8’ spacing. The number one factor is safety and oftentimes I don’t see the advantage of jumping over excessively high hurdles or boxes when the extra height comes from hip flexibility rather than more vertical displacement. That being said, I did jump over a 64’’ bar a few years back when Adrian Wilson’s 66’’ jump was big on youtube.

ah… i take off the tops of the hurdles and put ropes… try that one day and max out, its 100x more safe…

my client jamie mcowen hit 9’ with 30" between hurdles… his SVJ was 37", 2" less than yours… im sure you can get like 10’ with 30" hurdles… i wonder what other people have done?

im a big fan of hurdle hops.

peace