Training for Soccer

My experience has been that :

• 12.000m Weekly Tempo or equivalent
  • Low Volume (100- 300m total per session) of 10m-30m Accelerations or equivalent stimuli
  • Low Volume (10-20 total reps per session) of explosive Med Ball throws or equivalent stimuli
  • Low Volume ( up to 10 total reps per session total) 85%+ weights (1 Upper Body + 1 Lower Body
    Exercise) or equivalent stimuli

consistently produced improvements in Soccer players of different levels.

Number of main weekly events (matches),and technical tactical (skills) numbers in training are to be accounted for in season,and numbers above managed accordingly,but the above stand in my experience as safe general guidelines.

ok, so in general except for tempo, keep volumes quite low

Yes. And I never found a need for cleans,explosive weights, runs over 30m,or equivalent stimuli,as the weekly main events and the above stimuli always seemed to cover the general requirements of the sport. Also even for tempo it is more productive to build towards those numbers,letting general fitness levels and performances improvements in the HI elements always dictate progression.

Following Charlie’s and pakewi’s similar guidelines [as much as I could due to others’ pressure (e.g., manager’s)], I reached slightly higher numbers at times (e.g., 18 km of tempo/intervals and 420 m of acceleration work within a week, including some resistance work) during the 8-week preparation period of a 1st division soccer team. We managed to finish this period with no injuries, which was very important for the means we (didn’t) have and the team always run a lot during matches, no problems there. We seemed to lack explosiveness, but with double sessions for 8 weeks (under manager’s orders) that was something to expect. The number provided by pakewi above for tempo for some strange reason seemed just fine; and after a few sessions with the players understanding what was going on, the pace was just right for each player, something I “realised” after a couple of weeks, when we had the lab tests back… The players often made a ‘sprint’ competition out of the last interval, an indirect signal to me that the pace was OK, i.e., evenly paced. In other words, I agree with what has been posted above! :stuck_out_tongue: Good luck with your training, you’ll be fine!

Interesting experience of yours,thank you for sharing.
When I did witness any lack of explosiveness as you say,or lack of consistent progression in any or all of the HI parameters it has been only because of poor management of volumes and interplay of quantities of different training elements,or because of too high paces in tempo work,too often supported by -in my opinion completely vain and almost meaningless- lab tests and similar.
That is part of the process I came up with those numbers above,and the recommendation not to be ever afraid to cut intensity (but not volumes) on tempo and volumes (but never intensity) on all other components.
I also found over time that these guidelines always ended up helping individuals (being players of coaches) out,even when external interferences such as the ones you mention made it impossible to appropriately manage training,if else at least by giving a general frame and a meaningful direction to move towards.

Too often with coaches i have had it has been the exact opposite for our physical preparation. It just leads to mediocre results

AM training: 2x3x10, 3x2x30 sprints

Pakewi,
How do you find the relatively high volumes of tempo affect sprinting speed. Is it applicable to 400m runners, but perhaps too high a volume for 100/200 types ?

Tempo is for me a mere mean of flushing the system,hence increasing the potential sensory input through controlled motor output.As such it is hardly overdone in my experience. If it brings about limitations in expression of sprinting speed or any other quality,then the stimulus has been shifted to a different physiological threshold. This may happen only subordinate to too high an intensity,or an inadequate nutritional support.

today

2x3x20

2x30

Great thread with some very high quality posts!

For a 400m runner, depending on the program set up, tempo would most likely be higher. If you follow KK’s format, it’s a whole different discussion that you can find in the “Fundamentals” section.

Due to facility issues recently, I have had to improvise on fitness in place of traditional tempo. I found both bike tempo and medball circuits served the goal of facilitating recovery while improving overall fitness. I think these two could be used during season as a supplement to practices and the running tempo already performed. Currently some of my athletes are not as strong as previous athletes, as previous athletes have had solid weight training backrounds, whereas this group has limited experience. I have begun to implement a medicine ball throw warm-up Ange has mentioned and is seen in GPP. The added throws, both in the fitness and warm-up sections, are a supplement for overall strength, but only as a by-product of the overall goal of that session.

Having had collegiate players work towards 12,000m weekly of tempo in our summer months during their off-season, it is not easy to get to for most. Even two days of 4000m sessions can be quite helpful with the proper progressions.

In soccer,where daily training provides mixed inputs anyway due to the technical tactical part being the ultimate goal of each session,it is easy to use daily tempo dosages as warm ups preceeding specific training,or more often as flushing activity following it.
That way even during the off season tempo sessions can rarely exceed 2000m total (2x10x100),and are very easily and willingly performed by most players, even with the total 12.000m weekly as an overall goal.
When tempo is real tempo players do not mind it at all,and prefer by far such an application compared to long runs,as they perceive it benefits them both performance and recovery wise without taxing them at all.No big deal for players used to run up to 12km per match running 1-2km of easy 100m flushing tempo intervals with 50m walks in between daily.

This is important.

Two points

1. New technology allows sports scientists to give coaches a better understanding of training effects and then the ability to determine the individual needs of players (e.g. Tempo, speed etc) post training.
  2. The need for tempo and the added training is inversely proportional to the influence of the Sports Scientist on the training and tactical and technical program.

Both very important points for team as well as individual sports and events. I fully agree with you.
NOTHING other than the specific event (better: the contents provided by the specific event) is needed when a system is in place to manage whatever happens in between specific events!
In absence of a Sport Science Department available,Charlie Francis’ and Ivan Abadjeev’s training systems are the only means which,when realistcally appliable to performance contexts,and properly applied,guarantee consistently positive outcomes.

Tempo this week was:

1800 Tues (9x200)
2000 Thurs (mix of 100s and 200s)
Bike tempo Sat

today 2x2x20, 2x30

wasn’t feeling great today so cut it short

Do you ever take a day off or two after a day when you were not feeling great?

yes sometimes…again not as often as I should

I usually do my running (either speed work or tempo) in the morning and today I hadn’t slept well and so that’s what affected me…
If I feel good tomorrow I plan on doing tempo as usual but I might take wednesday off.

Looks good to me.
Maybe you’re just adapting.That happens when you start getting out of the half recovered half nothing zone most athletes and people who train are costantly trapped into without even being aware of it.

Ange,the following is from an interview to U.S. weightlifting coach John Broz, but while applying to the object of the thread it lays down some interesting priciples behind different training systems,which I have personally found equally effective when properly managed:

[i]“Your connective tissue is avascular and doesn’t recover as quickly as the muscles. What happens when you train every single day is that the entire system becomes fatigued, which means your muscles cannot contract hard enough to put the connective tissue in danger of injury. If you take a day or two off from training, the muscles are able to contract super hard, and the next thing you know you have an injury. I’ve talked about this for years, and one day I did exactly what I shouldn’t have. I had taken two days off completely from training and was feeling pretty good, so I decided to go heavy like I always do. I was squatting 220 kilos, and the result was that I got two partial tears in my quads and a partial tendon tear. When I train every day, I never, ever have problems like this.”

(A Few Words with Weightlifting Coach John Broz-Insight into how this accomplished athlete and coach uses Bulgarian methods to train American weightlifters - by Kim Goss, MS)[/i]

And from the same man more quotes easily found here and there:

"The body is amazing when you push it. You never know what you are capable of doing on any given day. The way you feel is a lie.
There is no such a thing as overtraining: if you can’t do something you are not in good enough shape."

I find it interesting,and true when one knows exactly what she/he is doing…What is your opinion/experience about this?
Thank you.