Tim Benjamin's new coach is ............wait for it.......

Charlie, there are a few who are striving to make that commitment…but the rest are reluctant, its a case of not trusting Johnny Foreigner and his funny ways.

Athletics: Jackson’s plan is to make Tim and Rhys world-class athletesSep 28 2006

Darren Witcoop, South Wales Echo

Colin Jackson today revealed why his return to the track can help boost the fortunes of two of Welsh athletics’ brightest stars.

One-lap ace Tim Benjamin and European 400m hurdles medallist Rhys Williams have opted to return to Cardiff after five years across the border to link up with Wales’ greatest ever athlete.

And former double world 110m hurdles champion and record holder Jackson has been entrusted to become their new full-time coach in their quest for glory at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

It will be the second time Jackson, now retired from competition, has got involved with coaching.

He guided the fortunes of Jamie Baulch in the early 1990s and also coached himself for a short time.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

‘The boys were itching to move back home and we all got together and decided this was the best way forward,’ said Jackson, who will be based in Cardiff’s Leckwith Stadium.

'They have been training in Loughborough, but we have superb facilities here and we feel we can work together.

'I’m especially looking forward to it as I’ve been away for some time.

'I feel ready to put something back into the sport.

'What I have missed most is the ability to work with high-skilled and high-performing sportsmen.

'But more importantly, we all know they are magical athletes and can produce the goods.

‘I just hope I can give them that extra two per cent to see them into true world class athletes as they have what it takes.’

Jackson couldn’t have picked two more talented rising British athletes to work with.

Injury though has hindered the development of Britain’s number one 400m runner Benjamin having announced himself on the world stage last year when he ran sub-45 seconds for the first time in beating 400m Olympic champion Jeremy Wariner.

Williams, son of Welsh rugby great JJ, is the new kid on the block who handed some much-needed cheer for British athletics at the European Championships earlier this year when he secured a bronze medal.

So with the World Championships only a year away and the Beijing Olympics fast approaching, what does the highly-respected BBC pundit expect of his two new pupils?

‘We have to target medals in Beijing,’ said Jackson, who ended his illustrious career in 2003.

'They can do it.

'They have both shown already in their careers that they can arrive in major championships and raise their game.

'It’s a real exciting challenge and I’ve been fortunate to watch them develop from outside.

'I’ve never had access to them apart from on the odd occasion when I’ve given them little advice.

‘Now working full-time it should make a difference for me to have a real input.’

That input from Jackson will hope to see the duo reach the top in the profession.

This comes despite the ex-hurdles champ having only ever competed in the sprint form of the sport.

‘My coach (Malcolm Arnold) was a triple jump coach and it didn’t do me any harm,’ he added.

'I never ran in the 400m, but the main thing is that I know the event, the sport and know what it takes.

‘They already know how to run so my job will be to keep them in peak and healthy condition, fine tune any problems and ensure so they can go out to produce the goods.’

Fair comment KitKat, lets hope for their sakes that he can improve them both.

Athletics: Legend Ed to aid RhysOct 1 2006

Peter Shuttleworth, Wales on Sunday

TWO of the greatest Olympic athletes of all time are coming to Wales to help our top two athletes chase gold in 2012.

Ed Moses and Michael Johnson have been recruited by Welsh hurdles hero Colin Jackson as part of his new coaching stable.

And their first job will be to push 400m runner Tim Benjamin and 400m hurdles ace Rhys Williams into realising their true potential.

Jackson is big pals with American greats Johnson, undoubtedly the finest 200m and 400m Olympic runner ever, and Moses, who won 122 consecutive races and two Olympic golds in his 400m hurdles career.

On top of that, coach Jackson has also lined up controversial England goalie David James (below) - renowned for dropping high-profile clangers - to speak to his new double act on how to deal with media criticism.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Jacko is desperate for one-lap wonders Benjamin and Williams to replace him as Welsh representatives on the world stage and the former 110m hurdles world record-holder will utilise his vast array of sporting contacts to make it happen.

Moses won two Olympic golds at Montreal in 1976 and Los Angeles in 1984 and lowered the 400m hurdles record four times. Johnson, meanwhile, won five Olympic titles, nine World crowns and the American still holds three world records in the 200m, 400m and 4x400m relay.

Jackson said: "There’s probably no one better in the history of athletics for the guys to get guidance from - Ed is the best-ever in Rhys’ discipline and Michael is the best-ever in Tim’s.

"I’ve already arranged for Rhys to spend a few days with Ed when he comes to Britain in October. I told Ed: ‘Just tell Rhys about yourself, give him some tips and advise him what it takes to be the best’.

"Michael is also a friend. I once asked him who he’d most like to coach in athletics and he replied ‘I’d love to coach Tim Benjamin’. Michael said he has the ability, the speed and the attitude, he just needs some experienced guidance.

"Now Tim has the opportunity of a life-time as we’ll have Michael Johnson’s advice and tips on tap. Tim is a very fortunate lad as is Rhys.

"Yes, I’ll be coaching them for the majority of the time but the beauty of having such good and experienced friends is that Tim and Rhys will have a different voice from time to time.

“And, by God, they’ll need it soon enough. The magic of working with me will soon wear off!”

Jackson went on: "I’ve got a useful contacts book.

"One of my good friends is David James and I’ve already spoken to him about giving the boys advice on how to deal with pundits constantly criticising you in public. Unfortunately David is an expert on dealing with that.

"At times David must feel like the world is against him but he keeps getting back up to try to do better.

"Everyone makes mistakes - you must learn how to deal with them. In the high-profile world of professional sport, you can’t just curl up into a little ball, you must get back out there and produce the goods.

“David will advise Tim and Rhys how to handle pressure, how to stay positive and show why they’re on the track.”

Benjamin and Williams obviously liked what they heard when Jackson made his pitch to them.

Benjamin, who was world No 2 last year after breaking the magic sub-45secs barrier and beating Olympic champ Jeremy Wariner, has made an amicable split from renowned coach Tony Lester.

Meanwhile Williams, who took European Championship bronze this summer just month after finishing fourth at the Commonwealth Games, has parted company with Nick Dakin.

Both can expect to have their whole approach closely analysed and dissected by coach Jacko.

“Rhys’ big problem is his technique,” revealed Jacko. "I’ve super-analysed it and he’ll be horrified with my findings.

"He’ll have to adapt it and it’ll hurt but a very good technique can instantly knock half-a-second off your personal best.

"Improving his technique is my No 1 priority with Rhys - then we’ll move on to speed work. It’ll take time. Rhys will want it all to happen yesterday but he must be patient.

"Rhys is still a blank canvas, there’s nothing of him. His bench-press best made me laugh; I know girls who can lift more!

"Managing Tim is all about keeping him fit. He has spent the best part of the last few years struggling with injuries. The key for any athlete is to stay fit - if you’ve got niggles then you’re in trouble as you’re always playing catch-up.

“For Tim, and for any athlete, more isn’t necessarily better. More training can mean more problems and we want to keep the quality high but protect their bodies from injuries.”

Jackson - a two-time world and Commonwealth champion - has made a name for himself as a BBC TV pundit but Jacko insists favouritism isn’t in his vocabulary.

“There’ll be no pussy-footing around,” he said. "I feel sorry for these guys because I’ll criticise Tim and Rhys even more now as they’re mine and I know what they’re capable of.

"I’ll be hyper-critical. If they don’t perform, the whole nation will know my feelings.

“Even if they break the British record but I feel they could’ve done better, I won’t hold back.”

There ya go. Any complaints now?

There ya go. Any complaints now? Reminds me of the days when Univ. of Washington brought in Lee Evans to help JaWarren Hooker with quite good results (44.78).

like someone said earlier would CJ have the time to do all that is needed?

Is all well and good having a contact list but its not like having the source here.

Is MJ moving to Cardiff from sunny Texas?

the proof is in the eating.

Question is with all this “expertise”, how can they fail!!!??? Some things Colin said here make sense so lets see what happens.

Sounds like it could be a good set-up, 3 athletes who are arguably (?CJ) the greatest ever in their event must offer some good advice.

The question is will the advice conflict?

Why don’t the UKA employ Michael Johnson and Moses to help educate the rest of the coaches in this country!!? Then Colin can dance till his hearts content:) and help some of the hurdlers?

Colin Jackson has recruited American greats Edwin Moses and Michael Johnson to help in his new role as coach to Tim Benjamin and Rhys Williams.

The Welsh former 110m hurdles world record holder, has arranged for the pair to offer advice to his charges.

Moses won 400m Olympic golds in 1976 and 1984, while 200m and 400m legend Johnson won five Olympic titles.

“There’s no-one better in athletics for the guys to get guidance from,” Jackson told The Guardian.

"Ed is the best ever in Rhys’ discipline and Michael is the best ever in Tim’s.

"I told Ed, 'Just tell Rhys about yourself, give him some tips and advise him what it takes to be the best.

"Michael is also a friend. I once asked him who he’d most like to coach and he replied, ‘I’d love to coach Tim Benjamin’.

“I’ll be coaching them for the majority of the time but the beauty of having such good and experienced friends is that Tim and Rhys will have a different voice from time to time.”

Jackson has also recruited Portsmouth and England goalkeeper David James to offer his advice on dealing with the media.

“One of my good friends is David and I’ve spoken to him about giving the boys advice on how to deal with pundits constantly criticising you in public,” said Jackson.

“Unfortunately David is an expert on dealing with that.”

Benjamin and Williams won silver for Britain in the 4x400m relay at August’s European Championships in Gothenburg.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/5401680.stm

I can offer my humble advice for dealing with the media. Do it only when you’re ready and not right before a major comp. the rest of the time, wear headphones and don’t read what’s being said!

And massive ones, as shown here… :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed, since I stopped watching TV and reading newspapers I feel a whole lot better. First thing you tell someone who is depressed. STOP READING THE BLOODY NEWS! :smiley:

all this news is truely great for these 2 athletes.i can feel the pressure already on them and the british media will be waiting…hope it works out!