Thoughts on Charlie Francis and soccer

God give me strength …

Yes, my clients walk on the field, others run…yes…yes…

Please, see the complete scenario, not only the 10 days of pseudo-GPP work.
We are speaking about season/off season work/approach in a general way.

Then…

Can 20 days of break from competition (after 10 months of regular season + cup) decrease the performance at a subzero level??? This is the question!

Please, speak about real experience, and not theories or armchair or supporter opinions.

PS: Rooney isn’t a my player.

Yeah, you made it just sound like they got good physical condition from just 10 days of training.

A coach can steer a player in the right direction but at the end of the day its all on the player.

At what level?.

You say 10 months of a regular season + cup; which usually is a high level source of competition in Europe but then you state; at a subzero level?.

A subzero level soccer player has only one direction to go when he starts training, physically & technically.

For me personally…

Even on vacation, I make sure of having a gym in the vicinity & do workouts (not to the standard during the season). After the vacation when I return home, I usually note a reduction in every part of physical performance than what I went away prior to my holiday. I have to reduce weight numbers, VO2 is down… Its not long before I start getting it back to where it was, 2 weeks, If I take care, eat, sleep & exercise ‘well’ offseason away from the sport). Again its on the player.

Them ‘10 day’ players you state have probably been at it for 3 months or all year.

For a soccer player, sprinting is GPP. Don’t you agree?

I’ve stated: after 20 days of break…after regular season, (holydays…vacation…) can decrease…decrease…decrease the performance at a critical, subzero, bad level???..the lost words…

please, see the complete scenario, otherwise we speak without sense!

VO2Max…damn old physiology…

The performance decreases a little after a 20 day break, but you don’t exactly go back to square one.

The greatest players of all time only had access to ‘damn old physiology’.

V02/stamina is a big part of my game, particularly playing right-wing back.

Of course it can be, and I’m not saying it’s not Svincenz.

Race, do you have any clue who Jamirok has worked with? His experiences?

Provide your personal experiences in a positive manner. It appears you like to treat everyone’s discussion in a negative way.

I type this with as much professionalism as I can. This forum became popular because of great discussions with great minds, such as no23, pakewi and jamirok. Please respect this.

I did. Sorry for being no nonsense.

All I said was a 20 day break will see a small drop in performance overall. I mis-read what he said about players getting into good physical condition from just 10 days of training.

Some of the most technically/tactically complex minded coaches with exceptional club facilities never see success in the sport at the top. There are great minds but never steer from the fact soccer is simple but with ill discipline, the hardest thing to do is playing simple soccer, hence the total dedication & focus needed of the players in todays world, which offers many distractions over the greats of yesteryear.

Even though the training, facilities, wages etc have moved on, unfortunately the dedication hasn’t. I see it in spots from players in some teams across the world ie Spain’s passing particularly round midfield, some defensive master classes but its all few & far between now. Ego’s & big wages have gotten in the way.

This is the point…finally…

The greatest players of all time only had access to ‘damn old physiology’.

V02/stamina is a big part of my game, particularly playing right-wing back.

for VO2Max in the soccer…is it an usefull index of performance???
Greatest player have access to other technologies…

Well, I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at having Bjørn Dæhlie’s VO2. I could certainly see myself putting out more work, covering more ground, closing players down, making more runs etc…

Vo2 Max as other tests, is partially usefull, imo a waste of time.
Leave it to the sportlab and to the doctors.

There are much other way to analyze physical/metabolic and physiological condition/response to the training.

Just to speak, a good basic analysis woulde be include evaluation of regulation mechanism, CNS, neuromuscular system, cardiorespiratory and metabolic system.

Then a good option is try to find solutions and tools for correct out of balance situations.

(I’ve read in this thread about experience with LLLT and recovery).

Omegawave and ARP

no, sorry, you’re wrong…Omega Wave is a too much commercial technology in my opinion…ARP is not the only technology for recovery.
There are a lot of options, but for who has not so much experience is HARD to know!

You can try another time DEAR svincenz!!!

ahahahahaha

Yes - they are merely tools, which need to be in the hands of a skilled craftsman.

Funny that Charlie - although he did endorse these sorts of products - never really had to rely on them. His skill and intellect were actually much better at resolving problems. The OmegaWave merely confirmed his beliefs. And the ARP was a poor substitute for his hands and diagnostic abilities.

Technology cannot substitute human mind, but can be a great help tools in the arsenal of everyone work in the sport field (and other areas).
Much problems born when you mix technology without practical experience!

jamirok, it was not a guess, sorry. In other threads you talked at length about OmegaWave and ARP (mostly pakewi for that).
I’d be interested if you decided to discuss a little bit more about the new hard-to-know-if-you-are-not-in-the-trenches methodology you have come up with. It would be of great interest for everybody.

Lack of context, jamirok. Technology (set of instructions --> results) can substitute human mind, depending on the context and the results you are looking for.
Maybe you can say that technology applied and developed so far in this context (sport, recovery) is not mature enough to substitute a skilled human. Maybe (this is the reason) the deveopment of sound technology is lacking because we still don’t know (quantitatively) what it’s going on. But the skilled human?

So, basically we are now saying that OmegaWave is an overpriced unessential piece of equipment?
I’m happy I did not follow the crowd (in general) when a couple of years ago it seemed that without OmegaWave you could not even think about training! I would be many 1,000$ poor, and with a piece of equipment that, it seems, does the same job of a 100$ ipod/iphone/ipad application.

Don’t be too quick to dismiss it’s value