Thoughts on Charlie Francis and soccer

Perhaps we need to consider the emotional background against which all competition is performed in addition to the physical stimulus. As physiological changes are clearly associated with emotional state (for example, the clearly documented negative effects of ‘stress’ on health), perhaps the physical stimulus from competition is above and beyond what would first be apparent due to the unique emotional, and thus physiological, environment in which all competitions are held?

Does the simple act of preparing for a competition both physically (warming-up) and emotionally (‘arousal’) create a rather large stimulus even if that competition is not held for whatever reason, particularly at the professional/international level where the stakes are so much higher?

Considering the frequency of soccer competitions, perhaps we underestimate the true load by looking only what happens physically during the game. What of other sports with fixed and frequent competition schedules?

Actually, as far as I know, it was only Maradona’s the documented case of juggling with small balls (I did that too, but not documented). An interesting anectode is when during half time of an important match, Maradona began juggling with a lemon in the changing room to ease the tension off.
It’s not true that you don’t see any two footed players. There are many of them, probably (it is my impression, but I’m pretty confident) more now than years ago. Maradona is a typical example of using only one foot. As for sleeping with ball, yeah, I probably did that when I was a child, but I’m happy to having changed that in favour of girls.

Now, RR is throwing here a bunch of anecdotes and there is nothing wrong about that, apart that an underlying theory is necessary to meaningfully organize the information, and I don’t see any such theory.
For everyone interested, I suggest a couple of articles the nyt published, one it was published a couple of years ago about skill development of Russian tennis players in a Moscow club (then it became the book The Talent Code) and the other one is about Ajax Academy, this one was published I think a couple of weeks ago. Both very interesting.

Interesting points:
A few brief comments:

• I agree that the emphasis has to be put chronologically on technical, tactical, athletical skills. At the same time, humans are very plastic before 9-12 years of age, with consequences also on lifetime gene expression (as a general phenomenon, of course). I was wondering if by not trying to direct gene expressione in the early years, we are losing the best time to influence it. The same can be said for learning foreign language, mathematical skills and so on. Now, read biographies and you can understand lots of things, read textbooks and you will soon get caught is some dogmatic views. Mine are only points for discussion, of course.

• As for coaches, I don’t think only in terms of quality, but also where the coach fits better in. It’s very different working with little ones and late teens, and you know that better than me, for example I much prefer working with adults, others prefer working with late teens and so on. It is the same in schooling.

• I think an African nation won’t win the WC for at least the next fourth editions. This is because, despite the incredible phyisical and athletical abilities (I remember Nigeria in 1994, incredible athletes!), they underestimate the value of the tactical component. It’s a cultural thing, maybe it will change, maybe not.

• next time I will write about how the progression of player development is in Italy.

For those interested, the Ajax article is here: How a Soccer Star is Made.

Could you please name one?.

I have watched the whole of the World cup & I didn’t see one player zipping it about at will with both feet with 10-60m pin-point passes. Zidane in my eyes was the last great, pinging cross field passes with accuracy & success.

Particularly the South Americans, many whom who mastered juggling, some more so than Maradonna. Some of them were so “pure” & controlled.

This is an interesting article on the progression of player development…

The future for the England team is frightening. Our game needs radical changes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1291591/GLENN-HODDLE-The-future-England-team-frightening-Our-game-needs-radical-changes.html

I agree. A good book to read is “Why Michael Couldn’t Hit: And Other Tales of the Neurology of Sports” written by Harold L. Klawans, a professor of neurology at Rush Medical College in Chicago. In a portion of the book, Klawans discusses the concept of “windows of opportunity” for skill development.

“His 1996 book, “Why Michael Couldn’t Hit and Other Tales of the Neurology of Sports,” looked at the greatness–or lack thereof–of several sports legends. In the book, he argues that basketball superstar Michael Jordan failed as a minor-league baseball player because he had not acquired the baseball skills he needed at a critical time in childhood when the brain develops certain motor skills.”

I highly recommend anyone interested in developing athletes from a young age read this book.

And just a word on Ajax, they talk a good game, have lots of money but should do better for all the talk. They finished runner-up to FC Twente in the 2009–10 Eredivisie League. In fact the last time they won there league campaign was way back in 2003-04. Had a dismal Champions League campaign.

So take what they have to say with a grain of salt.

“As Ajax battle to stay in the Europa League against Juventus (2009–10), it is clear that the former kings of youth policy have lost their way”.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/feb/25/ajax-champions-league-europa-youth

RR,
I name one, as I am very familiar with Italian players: Zambrotta, two equal feet. Also for Pirlo is the same. But there are many, and maybe it’s only my impression, I don’t have any data, that the number of two footed increased in the last years. But it would be an interesting study for sure.

Could we all also include the massive fact, its apples & oranges on the extreme scale. Would he have been a successful Tour golfer post basketball?. Probably not.

I disagree with Harold L. Klawans, there isn’t a “critical time in childhood” IMO. You either have it or you don’t. Motor skills can be developed through masses of repetition & dedication, way past childhood or a young age. Look at Ben Hogan, Ted Williams etc.

I have taught 30+ years olds how to perfect speed juggling a soccer ball, using both feet to pass the ball, which I presume are motor skills. Theres no critical time, some develop it, some aren’t born to do it.

Diego Forlan from Uruguay scored from distance with both feet.

Yes, maybe the discussion is getting too technical, but there is an interesting paper that was published in Nature in 1997 about learning foreign languages. Now I explain why I consider that important also for training.
It was shown that people learning other languages before 12 (more or less) have a single brain region for generating complex speech, while people learning foreign languages after 12 have two brain regions for generating complex speech http://www.nytimes.com/1997/07/15/science/when-an-adult-adds-a-language-it-s-one-brain-two-systems.html.
Now, I wonder if it happens the same also with motor skills. Of course, having a single brain region gives advantage, but the implications are also that maybe the way of learning after a certain age has to be appropriate for the different modifications happening in the brain.
At the end, a good part of the adaptions that training stimulates, especially the neural part, consist in learning.

There has been an increase, particulary in wingers. They can cross the ball with both feet, but I still don’t consider them to be great two footed players. John Terry is a two footed player, Phil Neville is two footed, there not great two footed players.

In England, I think Glenn Hoddle was our last best two footed player. Great confidence to pick passes all over the field with both feet at any time. Little dinks over the top of players both feet, curling it around players, through balls, everything so natural which came through hours upon years of drilling it into himself.

Of course it does!
But that’s the same for every sport/event.

I disagree. There are critical windows for specific skills that involve velocity and coordination, as well as strength and coordination. Combining coordination with execution of skill at high levels of power and velocity is different than hitting a stationary golf ball or juggling a soccer ball. Having worked with a number of top level gymnasts, I can see exactly where this plays a role.

Not all motor skills are created equal. I see it on a daily basis. I believe if you choose to ignore this fact, you could be missing out.

I am in agreement. There is so much we don’t know about brain development and the subtleties of learning and adaptation - physical, intellectual, emotional, etc. Everything counts and it should be analyzed as such.

I agree also
It’s not an exact science yet, but the patterns have been established with a great many athletes and not just athletes - achievers in many domains.

While I agree to an extent, there is much recent research showing this is not 100% true … or rather the interpretation of it has been simplified and the brain has far greater abilities to adapt it’s self (I mean physically).

Much of this has been done in animal research, which in itself is very controversial.

There is also alot of research being done in the East that supports these concepts too, but it’s coming from a different angle.

:smiley:
You said it!

My brain is still trying to adapt to being married with kids!

That is a clear example of adaptation.

Here is info on the selection process for the US National Teams:

The US Youth Soccer ODP Philosophy:
To identify players of the highest caliber on a continuing and consistent basis, which will lead to increased success for the U.S. National Teams in the international arena.

Purpose:
The US Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program was formed in 1977 to identify a pool of players in each age group from which a National Team will be selected for international competition; to provide high-level training to benefit and enhance the development of players at all levels; and, through the use of carefully selected and licensed coaches, develop a mechanism for the exchange of ideas and curriculum to improve all levels of coaching.

How do I participate?:
Contact your local US Youth Soccer State Association office to find out more about getting involved with US Youth Soccer ODP. You can find State Association by clicking here. Or, simply contact the US Youth Soccer National Office

Program Description History:
In 1979, the program expanded, the organization became more efficient and multi-year plans were developed. State Associations were encouraged to develop programs which supported and worked in tandem with National and Regional programs. At the beginning of 1982 a formalized program for girls was created, with the addition of a full committee (one member from each Region).

Current Organization:
From 1982 until the present, international events for youth national teams have increased substantially and the US Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program has kept pace by instituting trials and player pools for five age groups in the boys’ program, and five age groups in the girls’ program.

The US Youth Soccer ODP Selection Process
Each State Association holds ODP try-outs on an annual basis. Age Groups and try-out dates may be different from state to state, based on seasonal and state considerations. Your first contact should be to your State Association for try-out information.

How are Players Selected?:
Players are selected, in most states, on the basis of open tryouts. These tryouts are conducted by state association coaches who are recognized for their ability to identify and train players with superior skills. Some state associations combine scouting techniques and invitations to certain players with the open tryouts. Selection of these players is not an easy task. The state association head coach or State Coach will, in most cases, be assisted in the selection process by several other qualified coaches from the club or league level. Players are evaluated on the four components that make up a soccer player:

1. Technique
  2. Tactics
  3. Fitness and Athletic Ability
  4. Psychological Component (attitude)

(NOTE: In years past, coaches from youth clubs who also coached for colleges were selected as state ODP coaches. This lead to many athletes being by-passed due to club allegiance in the case of two players being equally talented. Typically, the players in question were usually not going to make the regional camps, but situations like this do make the entire process somewhat skewed by the politics involved. Also, state ODP tryouts cost $100US to participate. Although the website says ODP is non-profit, I have heard reports that the coaches involved earn several thousand dollars for their participation.)

What are Regional Camps?:
US Youth Soccer is divided into four regions, each which offers a regional camp for state association ODP teams in each eligible age group. The camps are designed to provide high level competition and training for participating players. During this training and competition, players who are capable of performing at a higher level of play are identified for possible national team camp, pool, or team participation. Each region varies somewhat as to the specifics and the cost of their camps. Your state association or regional administrator should be contacted for more information.

What is a National Camp?:
National Camps and Interregional events are held throughout the year at various locations in the United States. The National Team Coach or a National Staff Coach is present at these events to observe, train, and indentify players for placement in the national pool or on a national team.

What are the Benefits of Participating in US Youth Soccer ODP?:

1. Development as a player. The opportunity to train and play with the best player’s in one’s age group.
  2. Quality instruction from nationally licensed coaches.
  3. Quality competition. Games against other state association ODP teams.
  4. Exposure to regional and national team coaches.
  5. The opportunity to represent one’s state, region, or country in competition.
  6. Exposure to college coaches. (Note: many are coaches are the regional and national team levels. The college coaches tend to come from the more successful programs)