The way it was.............running and lifting in the 1980's

Most all of us went our seperate ways for college. I ended up at University of Kentucky for undergrad. Of course I wanted to continue track in college and I had plans to do so, until the coach wanted to totally change my focus of events. After going round and round with him in his office, he said that he wanted to turn me into a 800m/miler, I don’t know why or what made him think this; but, I decided to nip it in the bud right there, thus ending my competetive track days. I still continued to work out like a trojan on my own and I began a very thorough weight training regimen.

Troy went on to the merchant marine academy to study engineering. He was brilliant with calculus, physics, and all that stuff, and he won the prestigious governors scholar award; blew the lid off the SAT. His engineering study was going to be applied to the military and he had to alternate semesters of work/study and so forth. He was all set to be station in New Orleans to help design Navy ships. He ran track for the academy and did well in the hurdles, but he started to develop a drinking problem when his long time girl friend broke up with him.

Troy had a very volatile personality, very competitive and driven. Much like a sprinter needs to be I suppose. That’s one thing that I never really had–“the high strung sprinters personality.” I tend to be much more cool and laid back, not worrying too much about anything. I used to have to drill into Troy’s head, “worrying is a waste of my time” but he never quite caught on. His fiery personality caused him a lot of trouble as he often got into fights and got in trouble with the law. He knew the police very well and they knew him on a first name basis. He was a split personality. The scholar/excellent student vs. the “bar room brawler” that he was on the weekends. He was often suspended from school in spite of his advanced placement class schedule, but he excelled anyway in the classroom. I used to kid him by saying, “you’re just one fight away from being kicked out of school and being stuck working on cars for the rest of your life.”

After he broke up with his GF, he started drinking heavy. We didn’t see each other much anymore because he way away with the Marines, but when he came to visit, he would vent about how lousy his life was and how the alcohol was slowly eating away at him. Anyway, later on into adult life, I got a phone call from my mother who told me Troy had died in a bizarre accident resulting from a fight he got into while on leave. Apparently, he got totally drunk one night, I mean really toasted, it was around 1:00am as he was leaving a club and he was out in the parking lot acting crazy. He was hitting on this woman and her boyfriend whisked her away to their car, but Troy followed, went up to the car and continued to talk smack and threaten them both. Then, he reached into the car, trying to grab the girl or touch her and the boyfriend pushed the gas pedal and Troy ended up being run over by that car. This was back in 1998 and the boyfriend ended up being freed of murder charges, I guess self-defense was his case.

Such a waste of talent. It’s sad and a lesson of what alcohol can do I suppose. Very good athlete, very good student, Brilliant with math/science, had a job lined up after graduation, ship building making over 150,000 dollars per year, and he threw it all away. Sometimes I wonder, who he would be today.

I owe a lot to my track days. It kept me in shape and helped me stay out of trouble. I wish I had started training earlier. It’s not easy to begin at age 17 and expect to improve as much as someone who got an earlier start. Nevertheless, it is what it is and I can’t rewind the clock to do it over again. I graduated college in 1995, got a normal job, got married, etc. , went to grad school, but I still continued to lift and run–just general stuff. A few years ago, I shifted the focus to olympic lifting, which I persued for a while, even competing a little bit and becoming more knowledgeable of strength training. I had some expert coaching in this area and I like to help anyway I can when folks have strength related questions. I’ve tried it all, believe me.

Mr. Cool wondered why I care about track training all these years later and my answer is that I enjoy this type of training, simple as that. I’ve always, since the mid-1980’s followed sprinting and long jumping, even though I went through a dark period when I was, gasp :confused: , distance running, training for 10k races. I don’t know that it’s a case of “unfinished business”, I really don’t feel that way about it, although, I do wonder often what I could have done with better training, more focus on drills, etc. but I’ll never know what could have been. All I can do is concentrate on what I now know. I don’t have any desire to be a world beater or superstar. I’ll enter a few meets here and there in Atlanta or Alabama as a way to have some fun and monitor my progress. Maybe I’ll continue this for a couple of years, set a couple of long jump or 100m PR’s, then just go back to weights, I don’t know. My life is so hectic with full time job, wife, two boys, etc. that training time is often hard to come by. That’s why I have to have brief but very hard/intense workouts. Works for me.

It’s interesting, I’m the only one in my family, among my brothers who got into track. My wife plays in a tennis league and lifts weights three days per week and my middle brother should have pursued track because he was faster than me. If he would have become serious about it, I think he could have been a 10.8-- 10.9 sprinter, but he just had no desire at all and instead played basketball and soccer. It’s all good though…

Man…that story about Troy is sad man…may his soul rest in peace…Best of luck on what I would entitle your “back to track” phase. Hope u demolish those pr’s, impossible is nothing.

being a southern boy i can relate, these are intresting reads.

Hey d-nasty, where in NC are you? North Carolina is one great place and I’ve spent a lot of time there, in Brunswick County on the coast. NC has it all; mountains, beaches, bar-b-q, etc. The place I used to work used to send me to Charlotte for assignments. You live in a great state.

chapel hill area… brunswick county is a nice place, i’ve been thru there a few times.

Hey Heatwave, got any more stories? I enjoyed reading the ones you posted/

Yeah, I’ve got a lot more. What do you want to know? Any specifics?

Anything, To be specific, like meet experiences, how were the meets structured? How often? What was the competition like, etc etc?

All right, cool, I’ll try to put some more on here later if I don’t go out on the town to get wild/crazy with the wife.

All right, my lady didn’t feel like going out tonight so I’ll write some of this. Back in the day, around this time of year, football was over with and basketball season was in full swing. Our cross country coach (who took the role of track coach) tried to get some of us together to go on a trip to an indoor meet that drew a lot of competitors from all around the region. The idea was to run in a few indoor meets to get ready for outdoor season. It was on sort of a voluntary basis; we could go if we wanted to–or not. Several folks from the CC team, many of our outdoor track team members agreed to go. Our coach had his eye on a couple of basketball players whom he thought would make good track participants. These two big black dudes, named Robert and Danny. Robert was about 6’2" and 210 lbs., solid and Danny was about 6’0" but only weight about 140 lbs.–he was thin as a rail but he could jump out of the gym. They agreed to go and they did quite well. We loaded up the bus and off we went. Most of us had our Sony walkman headet tape players, so we would just lay back, listen to some Metallica, sleep, talk, or chill with the girls the whole way there.

There was this hot girl who ran the 400m that I kinda liked so I tried to sit by her on the bus ride over there. This was not the same girl from CC that ended up ruing her life; different chick here. Her and I sorta flirted around a lot at school, during practice, and at meets. I later learned that she like me a lot and wanted to be “more” than friends, but for some idiotic reason, I just didn’t bite on that one. I could have had a LOT of fun with that–(if ya know what I’m saying). I would go into how I found out, but it involves some adult-rated material and this is a family web site, right?That happened to me a lot back then with other girls, but I was too selective I guess and rarely took them up on their “offers.” Hanging with some of these girls was one of the highlights of my CC and track days and, like I said before, probably one of the main reasons I ran CC at all. Much later on, I found out that this particular chick also ended up on the booze bottle, so it’s a good thing I didn’t pursue her back, right? I just have good intuition about those things, I guess.

This was our first indoor meet of the season. It was January and I hadn’t done a lick of training or preparation for this meet. I was coming off the cross country season on top of that, so my musculature was not wired up for sprinting indoors 55m dash and long jump. Same with Robert. He ran with me in that 55m dash and all he had to go on was basketball practice and the conditioning they did with that.

The indoor track was a 200m oval with banked curves. We had runners on the team who ran the 200m and 400m but I wanted no part of any of that. While some of our guys were out running, I was in the bleachers chilling with that girl I mentioned letting her give me a shoulder massage. For the 55m dash, the set up included two straightaway lanes with about 5 meters in between them. We ran heats in pairs of two. Two runners get in the blocks, set up, and go on the gun fire. Then, the next two get in the blocks, set up…I was on of the last runners to go. Out of about 24 runners, I was about the only white boy in the whole thang and I knew several of the other guys from outdoor season. I thought, “I just got done with cross frickin country and now I’ve gotta run a sprint agin these fast guys?..” Well, anyway, I lined up in my blocks (I set up with my left foot forward, right foot back) and won my heat by about three meters. My time was 6.6 seconds, which I guess ain’t so bad considering I was very unprepared and had not done anything since November. When it was all said and done, I got 4th place out of 24 runners. The winner had something like a 6.42. Robert screwed up and ran a 6.73. That crazy guy, Troy, went to the meet but he didn’t compete in anything! He just sat in the bleachers and watched us, even though he was good enough to medal in a couple of events—he didn’t care and instead, he was in the stands cheering us on.

Later on in that same meet is when I long jumped against D-Wayne, that big muscular guy I mentioned in the previous story. Dude long jumped 23’xx" INDOOR and beat me badly. I had a piss poor effort of 21’1" which sucked. D-Wayne was also a 10.6 outdoor 100m dash man and a heck of a football player. It’s ironic though because I never saw him ever again. All that raw talent and he totally disappeared from track. Go figure.

I should have tried to build on that 55m dash time because that 6.6 isn’t too bad, really. But, no, instead, I fooled around with friends, basketball, and girls and never went to another indoor meet or did any sprint/long jump training in preparation for the outdoor season. So, that’s my indoor track story…yee haw

Hey thanks for telling us your story. I grew up swimming in the 1980’s, but I don’t suppose that would be especially interesting to the folks here…maybe I should post it on the U.S. swimming website.

Have you been to a Masters meet lately? Times? Sorry if I missed that…

Wow. This whole thread takes me back I graduated HS in 1989. Remember the Nike red white and blue carl lewis spikes :slight_smile:

nycjayo1,

Yeah, those were fun days back then and, sometimes, I wish I could go back, do it all over again, and kinda “start over” with my transition to real world adulthood. There are several things I would do differently, but I guess hindsight is 20/20, ain’t it? I’ll post up a few more fun stories from back then and, for Daniel C and others, I’ll describe some of the actual meets we participated in and how the competition was, etc. I’ll do it later today if I can get a break at work.

Mikeh, I’m slowly adding more speed work into my training plan and I hope to actually enter a few open meets later this summer, maybe in June/July. I know of a few meets in Alabama and around the Atlanta area (which is a short drive for me).

“Son, ya better git’cher azz on that bus, we’rea leaving in 15 minutes!!” The assistant track (lol, basketball really :smiley: :smiley: ) coach snapped at me as me and Troy were out in the school parking lot working on my beat up old car. I can recall this conversation as clearly as if it happened yesterday. After school, I went out into the parking lot to move my car up closer to the front of the school since we wouldn’t be getting back from the meet until much later that evening. “I don’t know about this, coach, my car is stone dead, it won’t crank, and I cain’t just leave it here in the parking lot…” I said back to him as my team mates were loading on the bus and giving us strange looks as if they were thinking, “what in the world is going on here?” The school day was over and we were about to go to a track meet about an hours drive away. It was a scorching hot/humid spring day, out door track season was in full swing and we had a meet that after noon. During outdoor season, we usually had a track meet on tuesday afternoon, followed by a “bigger” or more important meet on Saturday. The coach was very pissed because I was a good long jumper and I also scored points in the 4x100 and 4x400m relays. Troy also refused to go and, as I said before, he ALWAYS did very well in the 300m hurdles and 4x400m relay.

Remember when I told you about Troy quitting the team due to “arguments with the coach?” Well, this is what started the downward spiral. He was a good mechanic and i needed him to help me get my car started. It’s hard to explain how pissed the coaches were at us. How on earth did we get away with that? We stayed out in that school parking lot in the blazing heat until nearly 8:00pm working on that heap of junk and, finally, we rigged up the engine just enough for me to get home in the dark—with nothing but my parking lights on. I had to drive the eight miles from school to home in the dark basically. The next day I found out that I would have done quite well based on the winning times/distances. At school, the head coach saw me in the hall way as we were changing classes, he shook his head and just said, “we needed ya, we could’a used your points yesterdee.” A similar scenario occured over spring break in my senior year. I skipped one of the biggest track meets of the outdoor season and instead spent the week in Panama City Beach having a good ol’ time…but that was a little more understandable since it was spring break (or “sprang” break in a southern accent :slight_smile: )

Needless to say, we ran plenty of intervals in practice for the next couple of days. We didn’t think it would be any big deal to miss the track meet since it was only a tuesday tune up type of meet. The tuesday/Saturday format was common, with most of the large meets with the bigger schools and the better athletes competing on Saturdays. Then, at the end of the season we had district qualifiers, where the top four in each event would go on to regionals; then, at each regional meet, the top two qualifiers would be eligible to comprise the field of athletes to compete in the state championship meet. Out of our whole team it was only Troy, myself, a boys triple jumper, and one miler who made it that far (with Troy quitting the team following the regional, his time qualified him for the state champ. meet but he quit).

Many of us did multiple events back then. There wasn’t as much specializing as there is today. We had no idea of the different energy systems and the conflicting training methods that some of them utilized. For example, we had a couple of girls on the team who did 200m dash, 800m, and triple jump. What do you mean…a 100m runner isn’t supposed to run three miles of intervals in practice?" Huh? :confused: But that’s what we often did…sprint the straights, jog the curves for up to 12 laps. As for me, the long jump was my bread and butter event and it often conflicted with the 100m as they occured at the same time. That’s one reason I hardly ever ran the 100m. Coach said that he wanted me to just do the long jump because …“I don’t want you runnin’ a hard 100m then have you go directly over to the pit cause yull be to worn out for yer best jump…” whatever, brah…I didn’t care, even though I was faster than our “best” 100m guy.

I also did the 200m, an occasional 4x100m relay, and ALWAYS, the 4x400m relay. When I fractured my shin and couldn’t run, I did the shot put, if you can believe that. The 4x400m was always the last event of the meet. Girls events always came before the boys. They would do…girls 100m followed by boys 100m, etc. and so on and so forth. We didn’t have pole vault until my senior year and we never had javelin competition. Too dangerous?

When I get a chance I’ll do another post on the competition, what some of the top times were, etc…I witnessed some good ones…

Great post man, thanxs for sharing ,lookin forward 2 more:D

Good Stuff. You’d be a fun guy to meet and chill with on the weekend. Good laughs.

That’s funny because I joined the X-country team because it was loaded with hot broads. The hottest one of the bunch turned out to be a lesbian, not to mention she gained about 50lbs of non-lean mass… :slight_smile: Those were good times though back in high school. Leaving school early to go to a meet. Getting on the bus with a bunch of hot girls and cool guys. There’s this one picture of my X-country team in my yearbook that is just too funny… Everyone is doing something weird, one guy is flashing his abs, another guy is blowing him a kiss and everybody else is laughing their asses off. I guess they had to put it in because it was the only picture they had of our team. I remember that stuff as if it was yesterday, even though it happened 10 years ago.