The Only Difference Between Try and Triumph Is A Little Umph!

Friday, June 05, 2009
Seeing as it is summertime and my first year of college is over, I feel like starting to train for a certain sport to keep me busy. During me first year of school my training was sporadic, so I need to focus on something. There have been a couple that I have considered such as MMA, Oly lifting, and middle distance running. After much debate though, I have decided to focus my attention on the Olympic Lifts.

I will go about this without a coach for now. Once I return to college I might look into a coach if my time/money is permitting. I will be winging it for the most part as I am a complete beginner.

The current schedule I will be following is one I have designed myself. I will be working out 6 days a week assuming my body can handle it. It is designed in a Hi/Low manner though. The 3 HI days are geared towards the Snatch/Squat, Clean/Squat, and Snatch/Clean/Squat. The low days will be for either light overhead or front squat work, S/C&J form work, and pullups for the most part.

As I mentioned earlier, I am a complete beginner with no real prior training or experience with the Oly lifts besides a little snatching/cleaning here and there. I will be starting with the hang versions of the main lifts and working my way to the floor as my form progresses.

Today’s workout looked like this:

WeightxReps (45x5) or SetsxReps (2x5)

Hang Snatch
Warm Up 45x5 50x5 55x5 60x5
Work Sets[ul]
[li]2x5 (65)
[/li][li] 2x5 (70)
[/li][li] 2x5 (75)
[/li][/ul]
Hang Snatch Pulls
[ul]
[li]8x3 (95)
[/li][/ul]
Full Squats
Warm Up 95x3 135x3 155x3
Work Sets[ul]
[li]6x2 (180)
[/li][/ul]
Push Press
Warm Up 45x3 65x3
Work Sets [ul]
[li]5x3 (95)
[/li][/ul]
Cooldown
[ul]
[li]15 Min. Of Static Stretching
[/li][li]1-2 Sets of Rehab/Prehab Work with Bands for Shoulders, abductors, and adductors.
[/li][/ul]
Notes
[ul]
[li]Everything was kept pretty light today except for the squats.
[/li][li]I really wanted to go heavier on the Snatches, but I’m starting from scratch so I’m going to start easy and work my form/weight up.
[/li][li]Overall, I’d say the workout went well.
[/li][/ul]
Recovery
[ul]
[li]Contrast Shower
[/li][/ul]
Diet
[ul]
[li]Omelette- (4 Eggs, deli turkey, turkey/pork bacon, cheese, and variety of veggies)
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Turkey Breast (w/tomatoes & broccoli)
[/li][li] Turkey Sausage
[/li][li] Salad
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Pre-Workout -1 Scoop Protein Shake
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Post Workout- 2 Scoop Protein Shake
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Quiche- (eggs, milk, broccoli, onion, ham, cheese)
[/li][li]Small Salad
[/li][li]Some Baby Carrots
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]2 Turkey Burgers
[/li][li]Apple
[/li][/ul]

The day went well. The workout, cooldown, recovery, and diet were all where I wanted it to be. Tomorrow I will try and have some specific goals to reach in the lifts by the end of the summer.

Any advice, criticism, etc. is welcomed.

How are you learning the lifts?

I’m learning them on my own. It’ll be mostly by reading material and watching videos online.

I know this is definitely not optimal, but I’m doing this for recreation. I’m not looking to compete with anyone but myself anytime soon, so I just want to improve and see how I enjoy them at this point.

Saturday, June 06, 2009
I got a good workout in today before I went to work. I work at the local YMCA in the Fitness Center. It’s rather boring though. I stand around mostly and watch old people ride stationary bikes, walk on the treadmills, or work on the elliptical machines. Every once in a while a person will come in and actually do some serious lifting, but that does not happen nearly enough. One plus of the job is that sometimes the Fitness Center is slow so I can do a little messing around. I got a chance for that during my shift today. Then I came home and did a quick core session.

My workouts looked like the following:

Before work…

Drop Snatch Technique Work
[ul]
[li]w/Broom 8, 6, 4, 2
[/li][li] w/Empty Bar 2, 4, 6, 4, 2
[/li][/ul]
Pullups
[ul]
[li]5x5
[/li][/ul]
Overhead Squats
[ul]
[li]3x12 w/Empty Bar
[/li][/ul]
Pushups
[ul]
[li]3x12
[/li][/ul]

At work on a dual cable machine…

Rotator Cuff Work
[ul]
[li]2x8 (w/5 lbs. resistance)
[/li][/ul]
Front Raises
[ul]
[/li][/ul]
Lateral Raises
[ul]
[/li][/ul]
Standing Scarecrows
[ul]
[li]1x8 (w/5 lbs. resistance)
[/li][/ul]
After work…

Hanging Knee Raises
[ul]
[li]3x15
[/li][/ul]
Pillars
[ul]
[li]3x1 Min.
[/li][/ul]
Notes
[ul]
[li]Drop Snatches felt very good. I started with the broom and then went to a bar. My balance and flexibility felt solid for all but maybe 2-3 reps.
[/li][li]Overhead Squats also felt firm. Stuck with the bar for these and did the reps slow and controlled.
[/li][li]The workout at work was light. I was just doing a little shoulder health work.
[/li][li]Came home and helped my brother workout. Following his workout I did a little ab work for some fun.
[/li][/ul]
Recovery
[ul]
[li]Took nice hot shower after my first workout… that’s about it.
[/li][/ul]
Diet
[ul]
[li]3 Egg Omelet (Deli Turkey, cheese, and variety of veggies)
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Post Workout 1 Scoop Protein Shake
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Hamburger & Cheese
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Apple
[/li][li] Mix Nuts
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Turkey Burger
[/li][li] Turkey Sausage
[/li][li] Baby Carrots
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Quiche (Onion, ham, broccoli, cheese)
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Cottage Cheese
[/li][/ul]

I’m satisfied with what I got done today. I got a few easy workouts in, relatively good diet since I was stuck at work for 6 hours, and I feel good. I should have had a salad when I got off, but I’ll make up for it tomorrow.

As for those Goals… By my birthday (July 14th) I’m looking for these numbers:

Snatch (with whatever technique I’m up to): 150
Clean (also with whatever technique I’m up to): 200
Clean & Jerk (whatever technique I’m up to): 175

All of these will be 25-30 lbs. PR when I hit them from any other previous time I’ve included the lifts in my training. I’m thinking by focusing my training on improving in these two lifts I can make huge PRs in the beginning. I also don’t want to rush my technique, so I’m not going to aim for a certain form (full, power, hang, etc.). I’m just going to take my time and improve.

Tomorrow will be focusing on the Clean & Jerk and Squats. I’m looking forward to it!

You should really just get basic strength first then start oly lifts with a coach. Or maybe learn on the transition exercises along with traditional weight training. If you really want to learn oly lifts from a coach join a club with a certified coach. That’s if your serious if your just looking just to lift then it’s probably ok just to practice on your own…

I would consider getting a coach if there was one close by. I live in a small rural town in Missouri, so there’s nothing available here. I go to college in a much larger town, so I may look around for one there.

But yeah, right now I’m just looking to practice. I’ve had a problem ever since I got out of sports in high school of training for a goal for a few weeks then switching. I’m going to really try and devote myself to the Oly lifts for the summer.

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Today was a Clean & Jerk + Squats day. All went well, but the session did take quite a bit longer then expected. I have no problem with that though. I had nothing better to do today.

The workout looked like:

Hang Clean & Jerk
Warm Up 45x4 55x4 65x4 85x4
Work Sets [ul]
[li]3x4 (95)
[/li][li] 2x4 (105)
[/li][/ul]
Hang Cleans
[ul]
[li]5x3 (115)
[/li][/ul]
Hang Clean Pulls
[ul]
[li]8x3 (135)
[/li][/ul]
Full Squats
Warm Up 45x6 95x3 135x3 155x3
Work Sets [ul]
[li]6x3 (180)
[/li][/ul]
Cooldown
[ul]
[li]20 Min. Static Stretching
[/li][li] 2x10 for 2 Rotator Cuff exercises (w/ light dumbbell)
[/li][/ul]
Notes
[ul]
[li]I started pretty light with most of the lifts today except for the Squats.
[/li][li]I alternated the leading leg on every rep for the C&Js.
[/li][li]The Clean Pulls were a little tough by the time I got to them.
[/li][li]Happy with the workout overall.
[/li][/ul]
Recovery
[ul]
[li]I will be taking a contrast shower after I post this and finish my last meal.
[/li][/ul]
Diet
[ul]
[li]4 Egg Omelet- (Deli Turkey, cheese, variety of veggies)
[/li][/ul] [ul]
[li]Roast
[/li][li] Mashed Potatoes
[/li][li] Carrots
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Banana
[/li][li] Apple
[/li][li] Pre Workout 1 Scoop Protein Shake
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Post Workout 2 Scoop Protein Shake
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]2 Turkey Burgers
[/li][li] Salad
[/li][/ul]
[ul]
[li]Roast
[/li][li] Potatoes
[/li][/ul]
Good day… The workout ended up being pretty grueling. I feel really good now though. Tomorrow will be a relatively easy day. I have some presses and light front squats. Then work… Yay.

Alright I haven’t been able to make it on the computer much the last few days, but I have been able to get my workouts written down. Here they are:

Monday, June 08, 2009
Jerk
Warm Up 50x3 50x3 65x2 65x2
Work Sets [ul]
[li]4x3 (95)
[/li][/ul]
Front Squats
[ul]
[li]3x12 (95)
[/li][/ul]
Press
[ul]
[li]5x5 (75)
[/li][/ul]

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Hang Snatch
Warm Up 45x5 55x3 65x3 75x3 85x3
Work Sets [ul]
[li]8x2 (95)
[/li][/ul]
Clean & Jerk
Warm Up 45x2 65x2 75x2 95x2 105x2
Work Sets [ul]
[li]10x1 (115)
[/li][/ul]
Squat
Warm Up 45x6 95x5 135x3 155x3
Work Sets [ul]
[li]6x2 (180)
[/li][/ul]

Wednesday, 10, 2009

1.5 Hours of Basketball

Pullups
[ul]
[li]5x5
[/li][/ul]

Thursday, June 11, 2009

OFF

Friday, June 12, 2009

Hang Snatch
Warm Up 45x3 55x3 65x3 75x3
Work Sets
[ul]
[li]3x3 (85)
[/li][li]3x3 (95)
[/li][li]2x3 (85)
[/li][/ul]
Hang Snatch Pulls
[ul]
[li]6x3 (115)
[/li][/ul]
Squats
Warm Up 45x6 95x5 135x3 155x3
Work Sets
[ul]
[li]6x4 (180)
[/li][/ul]
Push Press
Warm Up 45x5 95x3
Work Sets
[ul]
[li]5x3 (115)
[/li][/ul]

Then just a about an hour ago I did a quick cardio workout:

(Pretty much no rest between anything)

3 Sets of
A1. 10 Pushups
A2. 60 Jumping Jacks

3 Sets of
B1. 10 Bench Dips
B2. 60 Mini-Steps

3 Sets of
B1. 6 Chinups
B2. 20 Hershel Walkers

D. 5 Min. Fast Pace of Stationary Bike

E. Rotator Cuff Work

All the workouts have went well. The weights have been moving fast and the form has felt strong. I decided to do a quick cardio session while my bro was working out because I was bored. Nothing tough though so I doubt it fatigues me much for tomorrow’s easy workout.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The workout today went well, but I was stuck in a vehicle for half the day so I was a little stiff. My family and I went shopping/out to eat for Father’s Day.

Anyways, the workout was pretty good. Tough, but nothing too fatiguing when it was all said and done.

Drop Snatch
[ul]
[li]2x5 (Broom)
[/li][li]2x4 (Bar)
[/li][li]2x3 (55)
[/li][li]2x2 (65)
[/li][li]2x1 (75)
[/li][/ul]
Pullups
[ul]
[li]2x6
[/li][li]3x5
[/li][/ul]
Overhead Squats
[ul]
[li]4x8 (75)
[/li][/ul]
Notes
[ul]
[li]The Drop Snatches felt good except the 75’s. I’ll need to work some weights below that next time.
[/li][li]The Overhead Squats were a little tough on my wrists for some reason. Balance was a small issue towards the end of sets.
[/li][/ul]
Tomorrow is a Clean & Jerk + Squat day. Woot!