The next Usain Bolt?

The next Usain Bolt

September 25 2009 at 12:29PM  

London - A schoolboy has been hailed as the UK’s answer to Usain Bolt after smashing a national record - in only his second race.

Clovis Asong, 14, ran the 400 metres in an incredible 48.86 seconds, despite only having had one formal training session.

His time broke the previous English schools under-15s record by more than a second.

Mother Beatrice Efuet said she was ‘so proud’ to watch her son -a pupil at Our Lady’s Sports College in Higher Blackley, Manchester - in his record-breaking run at the championships in Sheffield.

‘I never push him to train,’ Ms Efuet, from Blackley, said. 'But he has a natural talent. He just loves to do it.

‘He already is a great role model to his brothers and I hope he will be a great inspiration to other young people.’

Usain Bolt is currently the world’s fastest man. Dubbed ‘The Lightning Bolt’ the 23-year-old Jamaican holds the world records for the 100m and 200m, at 9.58secs and 19.19 secs respectively.

At 15, Bolt achieved a personal best of 48.28 in the 400 metres - just 0.58 seconds faster than Clovis has achieved while still a year younger.
Coaches at Sale Harriers have now tipped 5ft 9in Clovis as a future Olympic star after witnessing his record-breaking race.

Trainer Danny Gray said: ‘To watch him cross the finish line was better than doing it myself. It was like a dream come true. The buzz of being at that event was just overwhelming.’

Mr Gray said that when Clovis received his gold medal he didn’t want to put it on, but instead just slipped it into his pocket.

He said: ‘He knows he’s good, but it’s almost as if he doesn’t understand what he’s achieved. It’s like it’s just another day for him.’

As well as 400m, Clovis competes in the shot putt, long jump, hurdles and high jump and also plays badminton and basketball.

The schoolboy is from Cameroon, but is now a registered British citizen and would be able to represent Britain at the Olympics.

Mr Gray said that while the London Olympics in 2012 might come too quickly for Clovis, there was no telling what he might achieve.

He said: ‘2012 is probably a little too soon for Clovis. But having said that, He has shocked us all before, so who’s to say he can’t do it again?’
Mike Leader, deputy headteacher at Clovis’s school, said the teenager manages to keep up with his schoolwork despite a hectic training schedule.

‘Clovis is a gentle giant, but potentially he’s an absolutely unbelievable talent,’ he said.

The adult world record for the last 10 years has been held by Michael Johnson, at 43.18 seconds. - Daily Mail

The Aussies had a kid, Miles Murphy, who was still 15 when he ran 47.9 (auto). Then some years later he beat Cuba’s Roberto Hernanadez to win the inaugural world junior championship 400m in 1986. Murphy went on to break Darren Clark’s Aussie Open record with a run in 44.72, but he never reached another international tournament final. Clark regained the record which still stands at 44.38 some 21 years after he set it in the Seoul Olympic semi. Despite not having any injury or health concerns at that time, Murphy was eliminated in the second round in Seoul.
Up until then the USA’s Darrell Robinson held the world junior record at around 44.6, but in Seoul Steve Lewis wrecked that with his gold meda run in sub 44. Lewis was coached by John Smith.

Well James Kirani, a kid from Grenada which most track fans are probably already aware of, ran 46.96 at 14. And this year at 16 he ran 45.24 at the world youths.

It’s always hard to tell how far each kid has matured, but most of these youth standouts seem to already be young adults.

KitKat, what happened to Miles Murphy? Who use to coach him? How old was he in Seoul?

Did anybody else notice this?

lol^^^^^^

Whenever they start calling somebody the next…(mike jordan, mike jackson, mike tyson, usain bolt, mike johnson) they never pan out to do anything. With all the pressure they just put on his head he will be lucky if he is the next obea moore…

yes but I thought it related to As well as 400m, Clovis competes in the shot putt, long jump, hurdles and high jump and also plays badminton and basketball.

this is confirmed by

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=47132

I can’t comment on his training, but the 48.86 was his sixth 400m race of the season (his first was a 52.4), and he had also raced over 200 and 800m before.

yeah - i hate it when ppl say “i don’t even train for it”
my god, they always get caught out - Its like they think, Your not cool if you train…
I have come across it many many times, they all train! Mostly by them self’s. They may not train Specificaly for that event, but still, they still train.
I never trained for 8k, except for 2wks leading into one race - in which i ran 24.40min. Does that make me a freak? I only trained for 2wks to run that time… haha, what about the 6months of 800m off season training before hand?

Wasnt it the same coach that Pat Dwyer had after he left Khmel (or Khmel left Oz), which was the coach Dwyer had before Khmel while still at school?
For the life of me, i can not remember her name!

Nancy Additon

Atterton, devotee of Pat Connolly

Does she coach Joel Millburn?

No. Penny Gillies coaches Milburn

Thanks KK. I’ve only ever heard the Atterton’s names spoken; never read it.

That’s fair enough. She got all her better results before you emerged as a leader on the track. I think her last international athlete was Melissa Moore (Medlicott) who had a great season in 1992 and ran in the Barcelona 4x100m Olympic final. In my opinion, Melissa was Nancy’s best outcome because I thought Melissa really fulfilled al of her (Melissa’s) potential and did it when it mattered - in an Olympic year, in an Olympic final. In fact, I was in Barcelona working at those Games and I thought that Aussie team owe their appearance in the relay final to Melissa, because of all the girls on that team she really stepped up in the qualifying round. Nancy also coached that team, so that was probably her finest moment too.

Doesn’t Penny still coach Joel?

I hadn’t realised she coached Melissa or the OG team. I seem to remember Peter Crombie coaching her at some point, was that afterward?

Definitely afterwards.

I tink the one good thing Nancy and Melissa did in 92 was they kept competing. Melissa ran her full domestic season, then before she could be buried under “training” off they went to run in the US in a couple of relays meets in May, then before she could be buried at a second chance, off they went to Europe, trying to qualify for individual sprint representation. But at the end of the day, Melissa was flying. Apart from Melinda Gainsford-Taylor, I can’t recall that Aussie 4x100 having any major talents (someone capable of reaching an individual event Olympic final). That was Cathy Freeman’s Olympic debut, but I can’t recall her being in that 4x100 side, especially since Nancy left her on the bench at the 1991 Tokyo world championships. Rightly so, too. Cathy was looking like a dumpling by Tokyo and failing to get on the track proved to be a turning point in her career.

Wow. I can’t picture Cathy looking like that prior to 2000, I always thought she was too tightly managed. It’s great to get a picture of Australian Athletics prior to the mid 90’s.

I saw Mel the other day, she’s looking trimmer than she ever did during her athletic career.