The Holy Grail in Speed Training

There are elite sprinters who don’t even lift weights and others who definitely can’t squat double bodyweight. Simply calculating “MSF” as it would relate to sprinting through a squat/deadlift/etc. is not the greatest idea since the movements (sprinting and any maximal lift) are so different in their nature.

Are you a cyclist or track athlete?

I do not rate the deadlift as a good exercise for athletics. It does more for your back than your legs. It is a back lift, not a leg lift. Some people can stiff leg deadlift more than what they can squat.
The sumo deadlift is annoying to do. The only intensity in a sumo deadlift is in the back and the bar rubbing on your shins.

The front squat developes leg strength and abdominal strength, but it is much more quads than hamstrings. If you go deep in the front squat you will be able to get the adductors and hamstrings involved. Many people would find a deep wide (ish) stance front squat to be to painfull on their wrists, when you consider the hand position. Whenever I included front squat, there was no improvement in my sprint speed.

The only time I have ever seen an improvement from my sprint speed from any of the above lifts, is when I include deep full back squat, and even then, only when I am carefull with the numbers. For example; lifting below 80% of my 1 rep max (65-80% of 1 rm, is a good area in my opinion) for multiple sets of 5 reps. 5 reps is easy at that load. If you go to high on the intensity, your speed can suffer. 3 x 3 reps @ 90 % plus, just doesn’t work for sprint speed in my opinion. By doing a simple 5 reps, with a very well buffered set, for a multiple volume of sets, as much as five, (slightly less if you are doing a lot of track work), seems to be hitting whatever it is, that helps you gain speed. That is my experiance anyway. At the end of the squat session, you need to feel stimulated and invigorated, not drained.
I also read the “Holy grail” article a number of years ago, and I think they un-wittingly defeated the purpose of their own philosophy.
Unless you are not particularly strong, multiple reps of heavy deads are not going to invigorate you. they are going to drain you, both mentally and physically. I remember doing two sets of five reps (not buffered) and it took my nervous system 7 to 10 days to recover from it. I,ve never attempted to go to that intensity ever again, even on the seldom occasion I’ve returned to the deadlift. I don’t want to feel like that ever again.

Also, the percentage of intensity and the required volume on one lift, should not be the same parameters used for another lift. 5 x 5 in the squat (and buffered at that) will not drain you, but can you imagine 5 x 5 reps in the powerclean? No thanks.

I am getting a blank when I hit this link. Is this thread still alive anywhere?

Not sure which thread that is but here are the major ones from years past:

Barry Ross Is Back!!!

Barry Ross on Ben and Maurice!

Interesting Article by Barry Ross