The 2012 Second European Sprints and Hurdles Conference

Hello pierrejean,

I was happy to read that it appears Kevin Tyler will be heading back to Canada shortly. I’m not sure if you had a chance to talk to him or not, but it will be great to have a coach with his level of experience back in the country. There are few coaches who take the 400 seriously in Canada.

http://www.uka.org.uk/media/news/october-2012/16-10-12-kevin-tyler-to-leave-uka/

Hey PJ, wondering if there are any PDF or PPT slides available from your presentation? Part of my master’s thesis has implored me to research the history of speed-power training, and by the sounds of it your presentation would be unbelievably valuable to me. If you’d rather not share I understand too, though!

Thanks.

Hi Kerr, i cannot send the slides but if you have a specific question, i’ll be glad to help.

Pierre Jean - is there a way that you can post on the site or send your statistical analysis presentation to review?

Was your presentation there 62 slides? If so, yours and all the others slides are already up on the uk website.

If you don’t mind…I can post the link. I’ll wait for the green light.

Also, I don’t ever see anything about educating the athletes. It is not often in the USA that any good athlete stays with one coach for 4 yrs. i.e. HS to College, jr.College to 4 yr College so this has to be addressed somewhere.

Planning? How about every athlete better count on making a change of coaches for one reason or the other and they better know what to ask potential coaches before making a decision.

-Do they follow the cardinal rule? If it’s not broken, don’t fix it. i.e. successful sprinters already running 10 flat 100, 20 flat 200, or even a 44 flat 400
surely their training program was good enough to get them great results so why change the whole program? Work to their strengths.

Which method do they use? S to L, L to S, blend, etc.
Tempo ext. or int. or at all? worried about technique on them? ROM
do they have 2 hour warm-ups before speed? or is it just on off days?
use overspeed? even on someone who has never done it before…if so, when and why?
do they teach the mach drills? correctly or not… w/ stepping over?
What has happened to the athletes that have come over from other coaches-injury rates- Longevity after coming with them? and of course…any improvement? or still the same with all that talent?
Weights? bench press and squats have worked great after the speed workouts…stay this course or change it…to single leg exc. or etc. etc.

I can go on and on but we all get the idea right?

RE: Technology
PJ what is the new 10.00 nowadays?

Harder surface 0-30m times and 30-40m splits
bigger and better blocks
louder gun- faster R/T, more force also? data please
Stiffer spike plates
etc.

perhaps around 9.90? not many camps with sub 9.90 sprinters. Similarities of these camps?

no time to proofread or edit…gotta start my week.

To everyone’s success.

for example, look at Kid Carl (King Carl)

He was coached well by his parents before going off to his HS Team (or Jr. High Team) and was almost kicked off the Team b/c he refused to do some of the Training in practice. He knew something wasn’t quite right and rejected it.

On the other hand…he had the longest career in both the LJ and Sprints and never ever considered leaving a Great Coach like Tellez.

If Carl can learn this while he is still quite young…others that are Pro’s have no darn excuse. i.e. agents, etc.

Loren Seagrave presentation about Sprint hurdles was short and quite interesting.
He’s stated that most of the athlete he’s been working with are underpowered and the strength level is not where it should be.
I have asked him to what by his standard is strong enough and powerful enough for sprinter/ sprint hurdler.
Answer I got was for male sprinter Squat 2.5 times of the body weight and female as far as I remember 2.2,
Re: power, standing long jump male sprinter should be 3.20-3.30m and female sprinter around 2.70-2.80m
Also very interesting thing in his strength program he’s been using vibrating plate machine,