Tempo question

So does doing tempo kick your guys butt while doing it? I know I am sucking air and it is intense while doing it. I am so happy today as I was able to do 2 sets of 4 tempos today. ( 2x100+100+100+100). That is an accomplishment for me. But I do feel the need to stretch, try and get some massage and do some contrast. Thanks all

It may feel like work when you are doing it, but if you feel more fatigued the next day, then you need to either build your capacity or dial down the intensity, or both.

The low intensity general work like tempo will make you huff and puff and sweat like a pig while you’re doing it, but an hour or two later you’re fine.

In contrast, the high intensity training usually doesn’t feel like you’re working that hard because there isn’t much endurance involved, with some exceptions (i.e. SE). But a couple hours later it will start hitting you. That’s what usually gets most people in trouble. They don’t stop the high intensity work until they start to feel it. Way too late.

Summary:
Low intensity work: significant acute fatigue, little if any residual fatigue later.

High intensity work: little if any acute fatigue (ideally), significant residual fatigue for a few days.

Note: Everything is high intensity if you’re not used to it. So start easy no matter what it is.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your responses and helping me.:cool:

ok, so here is another question i am having. If I do the tempos too slowly (under 60%), will I be training or making myself to run slow? Example. long slow runs slow down your top speed. Thanks all.

The only danger with tempo is doing it too fast.

If you do it slow, then it will be easily handled by your slow-twitch muscles and thus shouldn’t have a negative impact on your speed.

However, if you do it too fast, then your fast twitch muscles might need to be recruited to help out and this could potentially cause fiber down-conversion over the long term.

Also danger in doing too much!!! Most people shouldn’t have to go over 1500.

what are the negative side effects if the volume is too high? if someone does the 2200m circuit then they are already well over the 1500 u r recommending

Answer your own question, go out and perform 2000m of tempo 3x per week and report back.

i have been… and i’d rather have someone warn me of what bad things could happen as opposed to experiencing them first hand…

You get tired and can’t recover then proceed to suck. Start with ~1000m then move up.

Ben Johnson and the rest of Charlie’s top sprinters routinely performed 2000m+ tempo 3x/week and it certainly didn’t hurt their speed. But they built up to that. You don’t begin there. The key is management of CNS workload. If you keep the tempo work below 75% of best time there should be no significant CNS fatigue. The danger is running it too fast rather than too slow.

I think one of the major problems most people have with tempo work is that it’s not incorporated properly. If you don’t have a tempo foundation, that’s where you need to begin (to the right of the F/T curve), not with speed work. That’s probably one of the biggest mistakes I made, and I know I’m not alone on that point. Lay the tempo/general fitness foundation first. If you are not properly conditioned for tempo, it will wipe you out, especially if you try to ramp up the volume too quickly. Tempo is quite challenging when you first begin it. It only becomes low intensity recovery work after your general fitness levels are in place. If you begin with high intensity work first and then try to incorporate tempo after the fact, the fatigue from tempo will hamper your HI elements until general fitness is established.

That’s the key we are not Ben Johnson or Gatlin, normal people like us don’t need 2000m 3x per week. You can get all the benefits of tempo by keeping the volume =<1500m.

"Increase tempo volume, longer hills etc…

Mon: short hills
Tue: 4000+ tempo
Wed: long hills
Thur: 4000+tempo
Fri: short hills or int tempo
Sat: 4000+ tempo"

this a post i got from you, rb34, a couple months ago after i asked what type of gpp i should do for a l-s. 4000m of tempo seems insane after hearing what your saying now…

That’s a 400m type program -it look like.

Yes, exactly.

Tempo also ties in with core work. When people read statements by Charlie that his top people did up to 4500 reps/week of core work, they have trouble understanding how this could possibly aid recovery instead of sapping your energy. Just like tempo, it facilitates recovery once you’re in shape for it. You have to build up gradually. If you attempt to do 1,000 reps of core work in your first workout, you won’t be able to stand upright the next day let alone run.

Yep, when I first got my med ball (11lbs) I could only do 25 sit up throws against the wall and I had to rest for 1 min and do another set. NOW, I can bang out 100 rep sit up throws (if I want to go that high in reps) then take a rest. It’s just amazing, over time your body will just get use to it and it will build itself up. BTW, my diet still sucks (compared to pro athletes) and the ONLY thing I’m taking now is zinc, mag and calcium. D%M, if I could eat and get massages like the pros my body comp and progress would be so much better.

Also, IMHO, the med ball work is more important then the tempo… Don’t know why guys shy way from it; is hella fun! I’m getting strong too because of it, put on 295 at the gym but I got stuck and could not get it up… lol, dudes in the gym think i’m all strong because I don’t look like all the 250lbs+ juice heads (who I never seen put up more then 315), i’m lean and long so I shock them all. I shake my head when gym dudes think 295 is a lot because I think of Ben with 450 and Tiny Tim M with 345 and I know I’m so weak compared to them.

LOL, you put on 295 and got stuck- guess those 2000 throws are helping…??

Dude, a year and change ago my bench was stuck a 245 for the longest time! The med balls help me work on my rate of force development.

I fully understand tho I’m not the big dog like you puttin up 350 plus.:rolleyes: lol…