Technical advice for a young hurdler?

I ‘tweaked’ my ankle last week or so

When you are doing SE, use lanes 4 or 5 so you don’t have to hurt yourself doing the runs.
Ankle injuries can take a long time to go away or they can just be painful reminders of something you did. Generally speaking , unless you did damage , it takes time to get your ankles stronger and more used to running turns. I have felt ankle injuries for 1 year or more but almost always been able to train on and move forward with what needed to be done. THe big thing to remember is while it bothers you , try to keep your training in straight lines, only train on the track when you need to ( otherwise stay on the grass) and ice or do contrast baths or anything else you can think of ( put heat on at night and wrap with plastic wrap before speed sessions) to ensure your training does not get interrupted.

July 21st update:

I just came home from provincial championships. I did the 110mh and 4x100 relay.

I mentioned last post that I ran a 15.68, an absolutely pedestrian time. I knew the next time I would run would be good; I was at the bottom and all I could do is bounce back. Most of the meets I did poorly did not have a solid schedule which led to a disharmonious warm up. I believe the last 2 meets were delayed by 2 hours (after my warm up). I knew the championship would maintain their schedule, and they did.

We were running at 9:30am. I woke up before 7am and headed down the residence center for a quick, light breakfast. I had 2 cups of orange juice and a cheese bagel. I got out to the track before 8 and just watched a teammate compete. It was morning and it was already 25+ degree Celsius! It was extremely, extremely hot! I waited until 8:15 to start my warm up. 2 slow jobs around the turf, the normal. I then did at least 10 minutes of static stretching. I was still a bit tight after the stretching but I knew as I got warmer, I would feel better. Then it was some dynamic mobility stuff; I took my time and did some sit ups, lunges in between. My core was very warm and I felt very fast. At this time, I was already much, much warmer than the last few times I raced. Then the coolest feeling of the preparation came.

I remember reading that Aries Merritt liked to listen to fast-paced music before he started hurdling. I do the same thing. I like listening to music that gets me ready to race. However during the warm up, I wasn’t motivated to run. I didn’t want motivation so I didn’t really care. But what was really cool, was how the “fast” music felt. After my basic warm up, the music sounded slower to me. The sound moved very very slow. The fast music is usually very fast to me, and I am ready to hurdle/sprint after listening to it. But right before a very important race of mine, the music came out slow. It was cool. I felt like my nervous system was very fine tuned, and it was more mature and prepared than I am normally.

I then did some mobility over hurdle work. After a few sets I went over to do jogging trail leg over the hurdle. It felt good; I could really feel the power of coming off the hurdle fast. At this point I knew I was ready for a fast time - a PB. It was 9:10-ish, I had to head over to the Athlete Control Center. I wonder if you have do this in other countries. Ange mentioned in this thread that it would be good doing sprints over the hurdle then spend 10 minutes calming the nervous before the race. I couldn’t do that, I had to wait inside the tent.

I was wearing my warm ups and a t-shirt. I pulled them down to my knee and started slapping my hamstrings. It was very stimulating. Coach said that my performances collapse during meets maybe because I have performance anxiety. He timed my touchdowns in practice, they were splits like these : 2.3 - 1.1 - 1.1 - 1.1 - 1.1 … I was consistent. Although they were moved in, this still indicated I was better than a 15.68. He told me to just treat the meet just like practice. I took the advice to heart. I usually think going into meets is like going into war - it’s all serious business. I did accept sometime during this weekend that it’s just a really fun time, and you get to race against others to bring out your best. There’s no competition except yourself. While we were in the tent, we were just joking around. We were talking about how hot it was, how our shoes could possibly melt. We laughed many times. Inside the tent there were at least 3 guys who had beaten me before, and they did not look as tense as I was before. “It’s all fun and games.” - Usain Bolt

We got called onto the track at 9:25. Their timing was excellent. I loved how they did not rush to get the meet over. I set my blocks like I did during practice. Then I did a start over the hurdle. The second hurdle was not knocked down and I did not want to stop suddenly so I went over the second one. The official gave me a yellow card because I jeopardized our safety and if I did it again, I would get disqualified. That would be really crappy if I got dq’ed for that lol. I did one more over 2 hurdles. My lead arm felt really smooth. I really liked that feeling. I felt better than I did during practice. I was more calm. I was happier.

The track got closed and we all stood behind our blocks. When they said on your marks, I looked over the barriers, visualizing the tunnel vision. I made sure the blocks weren’t too comfortable nor too uncomfortable. I waited for the set mark and got up. My hips were high to generate that going down the hill speed. Although I tried holding my breath until the first hurdle in practice, it didn’t go too well. I doubt I did it during the race. I heard the gun and went off. I couldn’t see anyone beside me. I remember during hurdle 5 I remember to keep my trail arm behind the hip. But that thought probably lasted for less than half a second. I did not think during this meet. It was a championship meet. I thought very hard during practices, during practice meets. I let go of my mind and gave my body complete control. It was moving much faster than I did before. I crossed the finish line without thinking another thing. It was a very smooth race. I was glad I finally got a time that reflected my potential.

The final was set at 1:30pm. I went back to my suite and showered. I took my time and even read a book. If I were me at any other time before the race, I would be listening to hardcore, battlefield music. But I decided to read a book (It was Ian Banks’ Wasp Factory). I left at 11:00, because I was hungry. I bought a slice of pizza, nothing heavy, at the concession. It was $4.50… 3 times as expensive than any other store. I was hungry at the time and I wasn’t going to sacrifice my performance for the weight of my wallet. I timed the warm up again and started with a lap of light jog again. It got stupid hot now (probably hot enough to melt my shoes now). It was definitely above 34 degree Celsius. These temperatures were insane. I took longer to do my warmup. I got tired very easily. I skipped the knee lift/static stretch drills I did before. I know I don’t have to do a full warm up again. I did the hurdle mobility stuff again. I was gased out very easily. Drank a lot of water. Then did some trail leg over hurdle run throughs again. I went into the tent, still had 20 minutes left. I dill some leg mobility inside… until I ripped the ‘caution’ tape. I sat down and made sure nobody was suspicious.

I slapped my legs again and I didn’t talk as much as I did before. I was in more of a preparation mode. They called us out again. I was in lane 5. I learned of my heat time of 14.45, second Q. First was 14.44. I honestly did not feel any pressure other than to run my potential. I did 2 sprints over the hurdle. I was breathing very hard after, we had 2 minutes before starting. I was like 'oh crap, screwed up the warm up" I took a few deep breaths and waited for the “Track is closed, please stand behind your blocks.” The next command was on your marks. I looked down the straight again. I was gonna be at the finish line is 14 seconds. I made sure my hips were high again and my shoulders were over my hand. They said get set really quick. “I was in my head thinking, why did they call it so fast.” Then I heard the sound and floored it. I wasn’t worried about the other people. I was first over the hurdle, and was first until somewhere around the 6th hurdle. I think my takeoff or touchdown went a little awkward and for a second I almost stopped running. But then in as little time as it took me to think that, I went 100% again. I could see the other runners near my eyes. I got the off the hurdle and dashed straight to the line. It was a clear win for #1, and 2, 3, 4 was hard to judge with the naked eye. I was happy though, it was an aggressive race. I’d be mad if they ran bad, but they didn’t. We congratulated each others. The youngest of the youth group won it in 14.2x. A very fast time. My time was 14.57. 2nd was 14.53, then 14.54. I missed the provincial team by 0.03. Looking at the photo finish, I realized I didn’t lean enough. Oh well, it was a great race!

I will be heading to youth nationals in my own provincial in 3 weeks. Hopefully I’ll record a even faster time! I want to race a 39" from now until then. It would make breaking the BCHS meet record much easier if I ran a 14.7 or lower this summer. I will continue to update and again, thanks for all the help from the people that contributed in this thread!

A couple follow-up comments:
I had the pleasure of meeting jc on Saturday morning (the day of his 110mH heats & finals).
You looked fantastic in your heat, and also very good in the final, but Kenny’s race just clicked for him and he ran a huge personal best to win in 14.29.
Many of Canada’s best Youth hurdlers are from BC right now, so even though you ran to 4th in the provincial final, you will be very competitive at Youth Nationals in a few weeks.

jc is entered in the Canadian Youth Nationals with the 5th fastest seed time. 3 of the 4 guys with faster seed time are also from BC.

Glad to here bc has some talent coming along, we seem of of been a lull for a few years!

Wish jc and all the best at Nationals

Finished fourth at nationals! Time was 14.71 in the final, 0.02 shy from the podium. It was much closer than I thought it would be. Headwind of -2.0m/s.

It was great meeting athletes from other provinces. A very important experience I needed as I want to qualify for Canada team for IAAF Junior Champs. Standard is 14.2X!

Great season!

Nice work out of lane 8 too.

Well
to be honest you don’t have to run sub 11 to run 14.1 especially at junior hight, 11.1 to 11.4 is fast enough to run 14.1

I can see the improvement, well done
In my opinion the rotation of your body during touch down is directly related to your lead leg action,
What I mean is that your leg action is diagonal when you pause in 50 sec when you are over the hurdle and 1.41 when attacking the hurdle you’ll see that your lead leg movement is towards the camera, consequentially your touch down point/ place is shifted to your right therefore your upper body has to compensate to keep you balanced,
Also, when your leg is diagonal the whole stretch reflex is NOT as effective and therefore you cannot finish the trial leg movement to have your knee in front of you.

Anyway, well done
keep on working!!!

I understand. So it all comes back to keeping everything ‘north and south’. No wasted motion to the side.

Can you also explore on the stretch reflex? How would I create a stronger stretch that can minimize my clearance time/propelling me forward off the hurdle?

That’s correct, everything should be in the straight line, of course there is a bit of rotation around the shoulders etc… and in general you should try to be as close to correct sprint mechanics as possible of course there are few differences such as low foot recovery etc… but that is the topic for another discussion.
Re: creating stronger reflex,
well, you have to take every thing back to your take off Gary Winckler said that you cannot rush your take off and that your trial leg has to be pulled through by your hip (hip flexor)
when you are attacking hurdle make sure your hips are square don’t reach for your take off. Usually on the hurdles you can find markers on both sides 22.5cm from the edge of the hurdle, make sure you lead leg (knee) attacks forward towards the markers.
Your clearance of the hurdle will get down when you’ll improve your take off and the whole running mechanics.

I have notice one more thing when you are starting your first step is too much to the left and second too much too the right and when those two are forward than you are too close to the hurdle and have to back off a bit to clear the hurdle.
You can place markers on the track to learn/ have consistent approach to the hurdle
From the start line

1st 0.65m
2nd 1.10m
3rd 1.35m
4th 1.50m
5th 1.65m
6th 1.75m
7th 1.90m
8th 1.80m

which take your take off to 2.02m from the hurdle

I think your upper body is pretty good

Good job

October 5th, 2013-

Nothing technical here to discuss. Just updates.

Past two weeks have been a collision. I was planning on working with my coach (from June to Aug) immediately in preparation for the National Indoor Championships. However, because of some club politics, I unfortunately will not work with him anymore. This sucks. It means my club must find another coach, one where I have to connect with AGAIN. I most likely will coach myself until the outdoor season. I will go over ESTI training logs and GPP Threads on CF Forums.

On the bright side, I sent out a letter to big universities, just seeing if I have any luck. A coach from Texas A&M was able to reply to me very quick, and gave me a very specialized email. I am now in bright spirits and I am sure I can accomplish the goals I set out for this year.

Running a sub-14 at BCHS Championsh; Making BC Junior Team; and perhaps even making the National Team for World Junior Canadian Championships

Question - If I’m in my competition phase and I’m trying to include all the High Intensity units, how would I do so? I would have speed hurdle work (H1-5), speed work (-7s), hurdle endurance work (H6-10), and speed endurance (7-20s). If I dedicate a specific day in the week to train each element, it would be 3-4 HI days! Is this possible in a 7 day or 10 day training week? How would I balance these high intensity units so that I can allow 48 hours of recovery in between? A personal anecdote: when I was training with my old coach; on thursday we would do speed (hurdles or flat), and on friday we would have speed endurance (it was 80-90%, so i guess it wasn’t high intensity work). I asked him if this was planned correctly, because it was 2 hard workouts back to back. I was later watching videos on speedendurance, and the author mentioned it was possible having two hard workouts back to back, if they targeted different energy systems. (ie. anaerobic alactic vs lactic)

As an aside - you wouldn’t happen to have video of the 110m finals from Jamboree would you?

I think that if you’re in comp phase, your meets will serve to target some of those High.Int days. Are you running meets every weekend? Plan the meets first, then plan your training from there. Hard to give a template without knowing competition schedule.

A well-respected Victoria coach recommends that in late pre-comp, putting in back-to-back HI helps the body prepare for competitions when you have to do just that!

In our spring meet season that lasts end of April through end of May (5-6 weeks), we race every Tuesday and typically invitation style meets on Saturdays. On Thursdays, I typically do 1/2 spacing drill (5 yards apart at 36" or lower sometimes) and work on being quick over, or maybe some other technical issue they might be having. I might then do 1-2 x 60m. On the other race days, I consider them training days, so our “warm-up” is often 90 minutes, based on facility lay out of hurdles etc. We include warm-up, hurdle drills going from 1/2 space out to race rhythm distance (typically 9 yards, to 9.5 yards). Starts out to 2-3 hurdles, and the race (sometimes 1-3 race if they include heats or not). Last year my guy also ran 4x100 and 4x200, but we rarely ran both relays in the same weekend meet, and focused on one, usually 4x100 due to exchange execution needed that we can’t always get in practice. So in essence, 1-3x110H race, 1x100 all out was typically Saturday. Tuesday would be 1x110H, 1x300H, 4x200realy, 4x100relay. Tuesday was bridged by doing 80, 120, 150 sessions in early April.

Lots of good information in here. I won’t have many competitions, once a week for a month during April-May. So not much short speed work for you ESTI. I think something that would work well is to have a few high intensity sprints going before hurdle work. Many times I would do 3-4 reps of 30m as a warm up before speed hurdle work. Maybe I could do a longer warm up, to prepare body for a few high intensity speed reps, before doing speed hurdle work. This would put the 2 units together maybe…

Who is the coach who recommends two hard workouts back to back?
Does this coach mean two high intensity training sessions back to back as long as they are different energy systems?
I would be questioning the technical quality of that second session in a very critical way for almost 100 percent of anyone doing that method of training.
My next question would be …
Why do you need to do two hard workouts back to back? The first rule of thumb is don’t do anything you really do not NEED to do.

I know there are some coaches who advocate the back to backs often to prepare for rounds at a championship level meet but I have never agreed with the concept. I think you accomplish that ability by quality training (with adequate recovery, simple enough) and by occasionally competing in other meets that have rounds for some events or just by racing in multiple races over a 1-2 day meet. I have not, personally, found any value to doing such sessions and have believed to make that work you would likely have to greatly reduce the volumes on each day and modulate slightly the intensity particularly on the second day to one of more sub-maximal efforts. It’s likely, with the axon diameter research (an actual decrease in the axon diameter from these type of consecutive sessions) I’ve heard though I have not specifically reviewed the research, there’s actual physiological evidence as to why the practical experience of many coaches and athletes have avoided such training.

Ron Parker is the coach I mentioned. I don’t remember the specifics of how it was set up anymore. :frowning: