Sugar cravings after 6pm

Mike and Ikes…mmmm…But on a serious note…I kerb any cravings by eating a pre-prepared sealed bowl of a mixture of nuts,dried fruit and pumpkin seeds.

X man,

As lyle said…try Glutamine, from a quality source.

If you are going to eat chocolate then make it a minimum of 70%. Green and Black’s Organic is great stuff. Might be worth a try.

Try eating small regular meals of high protein, good fats during the day. If you are going to have carbs then have them at night. You want to build up serotonin at night, not during the day.

that particular chocolate is horrid but btter than nothing. i try to totally avoid carbs after 6pm and eat every 3 hours during the day. in total im getting 6 meals per day with last always being protein shake and BCAA before bed. not all meals would be solid foods rather than P shakes with banana if needed blended in to add carbs during the day

Honestly, start eating the chocolate and after a few weeks it taste’s so good. After a while if you go back to eating normal milk chocolate it tastes like crap!

Sorry I didn’t quite understand, do you have protein shakes during the day? Except post workout I think this may be a mistake since whey is insulinogenic and you will likely get hypoglycemia after and start craving carbs in order to get blood sugar back up. Perfect way to feel sleepy-not ideal during the day.

In my opinion, stick to protein, smart fats and paleo carbs in solid form during the day. Liquid nutrition should be reserved for post workout.

What about breakfast? Are you having a good one? Not sure if there is cause and effect there, but if I don’t or don’t have a proper one, I am hungry during the day more than usual. Another thing that (used to) make me want more carbs during the day was a late sleep the night before (waking up at 6 am every day now has fixed that! :stuck_out_tongue: )

Kind of response i would expect from you :stuck_out_tongue:

I bet you read it as “sugar WILL give you diabetes”

lyle i happen to agree with the post as there is a link between D and high sugar diet.

also as a moderator of this site could you please be a little more polite with the language

thanks for your post and yur understanding as we are all here to learn

:cool::cool:

now that im not doing track anymore since maybe 2003 im currently training everyday. typical week would be

M-weights(45mins) followed by spinning class 45mins same for wed and fri

tuesday.thursday and sat are spinning classes 45mins

diet would be roughly for M/W/F as follows

breakfast- protein shake plus 10g fat (not great at eating for breakfast so prefer protein shake)

10.30 same as BFast

1130-12.45 train

1,00- prtein post wo shake (15g Prot/oats/branflakes/banana 50g carbs)

3.00 20g chicken + salad with olive oil

6.00 same as 3,00

930 protein shake 20g

on tuesday thursday sat i use more carbs up until 6pm and sunday i use as cheat day

i also use BCAAs multi vit and fish oils and also play loads and loads of golf practically everyday as im pretty decent at it

x-man, do you use Ketostix to check that you are not Too deep in Keto?
Trace to Med keto is fine
Heavy or Dark keto can lead to blood imbalances - in which case you need more carbs.
If you are not in Keto, and just outside of it, then one tends to Crave carbs to get some energy happening.

Once you get into Trace to Med keto, As tested by the ketostix, your energy levels will even out, and you’ll also find the cravings for sugar Should stop.

The hardest part is 1st getting into Keto - once you’re there, holding onto it is much easier, cravings become nearly non existent and your energy levels much greater. Plus it will help transform your body like nothing else.

You’re very close to Keto right now going by that nutrition.

The Ketostix make what you’re doing Measurable

BW thanks for the info and regarding ketostix- never used and actually had to google it for more info :eek:

how often would you test your urine.weekly? i used to always go by colour meaning clear leading to good hydration

I used to be pretty pedantic, and test 3 times per day - just to test what Carb food had more of an effect on my Insulin
You could easily test 2 - 1st in the morning and before bed
Some just test 1st in then morning

Eventually, you can Smell it (acetone)

The more you train, the more Carbs you need
You may also need more FATS in your diet if energy is low

Oh
Ketostix are great for measuring the effect certain Carb foods have on your Insulin
If you are taken out of Keto with an Hr or two - then that carb food causes your insulin to raise rapidly

I find, everybody is pretty much different to what carbs effect their insulin levels.

generally sugar residue sticking to cells which messes up ones insulin only occurs if sugar is consumed more than 17 hours after intense muscle contractions

double post

why all the spinning classes? is it something you are into or are you the person taking them?

This explains why you aren’t around much in July…you’re busy for about 3 weeks in France :stuck_out_tongue:

john alot of my work mates are into cycling in a big big way and last feb i started spinning. very tough to get into but after weeks of a sore rear end i started getting into it. i still do it as its fairly low impact on off days but still a hell of a workout. my #1 love is golf and always has been and all this training revolves around golf as someday ill be scratch bot getting cut 6shots aint easy!

In relation to what was said earlier in the thread about bugs being the source of sugar cravings, I have done some work with an RHN (Registered Holistic Nutritionist) who is also a future Naturopathic Doctor. My understanding is that the bugs are a bacteria known as candida that feed on sugar and are prone to very fast reproduction rates. They secrete chemical signals that cause sugar cravings and those signals get stronger as they continue to proliferate. Candida is also, as I understand it, highly linked to general inflammation and as such can hinder recovery. Candida proliferation is also apparently linked to a condition known as “leaky gut syndrome”. I hope this is helpful in understanding one of the possible roots of sugar cravings.

X, cycling is great I haven’t done spinning but have some really nice rides (60-120min) from home on a regular basis.

GOLF…oh man now you’ve opened a can of worms…:stuck_out_tongue: Without doubt THE best info I have come across is from Wayne DeFrancesco

http://www.waynedefrancesco.com/

and the best book is
http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Winning-Formula-Nick-Faldo/dp/0091736994

If you look at Sean OHair (who is coached by Sean Foley who is now working with Tiger) in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNS9ZxE4ji8

the turn he discusses is described in much more detail in Faldo’s book.

Although I haven’t read much of his more recent stuff the best putting info I have seen is from Dave Pelz in

http://www.amazon.com/Putt-Like-Pros-Scientific-Improving/dp/0060920785/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290200000&sr=1-2

in reference to golf all ill say is TGM. it has taken 9months for me to grasp the different hinges and now BANG im playing great. if your big into golf and want to learn then just google TGM or lynn blake…i have a dream in golf and im gonna get it

Thanks for some great feed back on this topic.
And thanks also xman for trying keep our language boundaries on the site to a place that will be good for all to read.
When I met Charlie I started using less flattering language that seemed ok amoung the athlete set.
Twenty two years later I found that my life outside of and away from York is best received with language away from potty mouth stuff.

My family tree has db and have personally struggled my entire life with blood sugar issues.

From my experience here is what I can say for sure;

1. sleep plays a huge role in regulation of hormones overall and tops the recovery pyramid. Make sure you are getting enough.

2. Eat as many whole foods that are not changed by man as possible =
    muffins are not as good as yam with skins for carbs. just one example

3. drink tons of clean filtered water often

4. training moves our hormones all over the place, high intensity the most and high volumes probably next. Balance or proper adaptation is tough to acheive for athletes especially without expert advise by self or knowledgeable coach

And the only thing left I’d like to add about the chocolate is =
I love chocolate and would agree with above statements but also just try and eat high quality foods in general. Care about the food you eat. Higher grade chocolate just tastes better. Not sure it has to be 70percent but good quality for sure. Try Whole Foods in US or specialty markets will have a seltection and make a ritual of your treats.