Stepping over

It should be pointed out that there are many reason to perform drills and each drill has different method of execution that serve different purposes. I explain much of this in my book.

Consider the A-Skip, if you’ve been around enough meets or track teams you’ll have seen a variety of methods of execution (high frequency/staccato, low frequency/fluid, short stride length, long stride length, varied degrees of knee height, varied velocities of forward locomotion…) and each method of execution serves a purpose.

No drill performed in a power speed context occurs at either a muscle contractile velocity or movement velocity that remotely approaches max sprint velocity (for example) so it’s important to recognize the reason for performing drills in the first place; and as indicated, there is more than one reason.

In my view, there can be no “right or wrong” way to perform a drill unless a specific context has been provided for it’s performance OR a biomechanical truth is being violated. Regarding the violation of biomechanical truths- probably the most frequent instances of this is are the foot/toe of the recovery leg dropping in the air, lack of complete extension of the support leg/dropping the hips, being lazy with the arms…as there is simply no justification for these things happening in any context.

I do not agree James. The context of doing power speed would be for any sport looking to take advantage of power and speed and sprinting for their sport . There are biomechanics advantages to learn Power Speed drills a certain way. Perhaps some successful athletes defy correct biomechanics and still get results in their event but this should not define how a drill should or should not be done.

There are right and wrong ways to do drills and to train effectively. There will be variability but overall there are many guidelines regarding what 's good and what is not good about how to perform power speed drills.

Some coaches who are big on drills often ask the question “if an athlete can’t perform low velocity drills with the correct technique, how are they going to perform maximal velocity sprinting with the correct technique?”
What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I disagree because I’ve seen several sprinters perform drills with excellent form, but sprint with very average form. Other athletes who could not master certain drills that some coaches consider important, were able to sprint at max velocity with excellent form.

Angela, there are 2 methods of one movement transferring to another movement- direct and indirect; as well as three possible outcomes of the transfer- positive, negative, and neutral.

Provided biomechanical efficiency is preserved at all times, the movement variability is flexible. As you understand, there can be no direct transfer from any drill to maximum velocity sprinting because the biodynamic, bioenergetic, and biomotor structure of maximum velocity movement is unattainable in drill format.

However, there is the possibility of indirect transfer via numerous ways. One of which you mentioned (strength in the right places). More examples, not limited to indirect transfer, are the rehearsal of timing, fluidity, rhythm, relaxation…the maintenance of dynamic muscle contractile velocity during injury rehabilitation, the maintenance of elastic response in the lower limbs for any type of trainee regardless of whether they sprint, and so on.

So, from the standpoint of transfer, and provided biomechanical efficiency is preserved, there is no right or wrong until a specific movement structure is identified as being the landmark which provides context for all means of preparation.

So, let’s say you see a sprinter performing A-Skips and their kinematics (geometric positions and forces that mobilize them) are efficient; however, the way in which (rhythm/timing) they are performing the drill seems “bad” to you. In this case, you would first have to ask them or their coach “what is the reason behind you performing the skips that way?” The answer to that question would then reveal if they know what they are doing or not.

In this way, the only way a drill can be “bad” is if it is either performed with biomechanical inefficiency or if it’s method of execution yields neutral or negative transfer relative to the target of training.

The “good and not good” regarding power speed drills is rooted in the biomechanical execution relative to target of training which justifies the performance of the drill. As I stated, there are numerous reasons for performing the various drills and each reason provides the context for how the drill is performed.

Precisely, which is an example of the lack of direct transfer between drills and, in particular, max velocity sprinting.

Interesting discussion

When I teach my athletes, I tell them go at a pace that allows to do what I want them to do. When i demonstrate I move quicker then they do because that is how I am grooved (if that make sense), I have at times told athletes to speed up or slow down.

My understanding of the Mach drills, and I am still learning them, is that Gerard was after 30 steps in 10m. I am unsure of pace, but two things I have seen from other coaches and I don’t think it is right is the following;

1. Tell the athlete to step out through the knee
  2. Slow movement - delibrately slow.

I was always under the impression step ‘a’ is up and down, and a natural speed

I’m not sure what this means…

Sorry hornblower I am not sure I can explain, but here goes

The foot passes mid shin level and there is a long slow movement in a horizontal movement plan and the foot lands well in front of the body (1 step might take 1 metre to complete)

To add to the my impression, I was told to step over the knee - but that is really is just stepping up and down movement.

great debate aint it. im kinda still tryin to get my head around the cue to step over. ive always been told to “put the foot down”

so I think you’re saying that the knee goes forwards rather than upwards, resulting in the foot coming through below the knee rather than above it. as a result of setting everything lower the foot comes to ground earlier and in front of COG, although creating a sort of artificial increase in stride length.

close??

Yes sounds about right

In my opinion stepping over the knee is a "product " of good posture and correct foot placement on the ground. One, when foot strikes the ground under your hip you are able to use effectively SSC to facilitate what you want in this particular case high heel recovery. Two with correct ground contact under CM your knee just going to pop up-forward almost by itself also in this case my opinion is that stiffness of the ankle joint is essential.
Someone said before that kids looked great doing drills but the run wasn’t as good. At the end of the day some athletes are unaware of what is actually happening during exercises, also drill is not a fixer and it will never be due to massive differences from actual running such as speed, force, rate of stride etc… coach is a fixer and it’s up to you how you are going to go about that particular problem.

I think that it’s very important to do the exercises properly right from day one of course what’s proper to me it’s not necessarily going to be proper to you. Lol.

It seems like the thread drifted from the original topic, which was subjective cues, versus the objective biomechanics of the sprint stride. These are two different things. What your body is objectively doing in space as seen by an outside observer is not the same as what you will subjectively feel while doing it. It’s like the push vs. pull thread. I didn’t even bother reading it because both cues are incorrect since they both focus on horizontal action, when in fact the sensation should be up and down.

Thanks Flash :slight_smile:

I agree (I probably partially to blame for taking it away from the original post - oops)

James Smith

Angela, there are 2 methods of one movement transferring to another movement- direct and indirect; as well as three possible outcomes of the transfer- positive, negative, and neutral.

Yikes James. I find this very confusing.

Provided biomechanical efficiency is preserved at all times, the movement variability is flexible. As you understand, there can be no direct transfer from any drill to maximum velocity sprinting because the biodynamic, bioenergetic, and biomotor structure of maximum velocity movement is unattainable in drill format.

You don’t need direct transfer to happen from a drill for it to be effective. The drill performed, or power speed does not have to be excellent or perfect or good for it to be helpful , strength and coordination building and useful for running well and fast.

However, there is the possibility of indirect transfer via numerous ways. One of which you mentioned (strength in the right places). More examples, not limited to indirect transfer, are the rehearsal of timing, fluidity, rhythm, relaxation…the maintenance of dynamic muscle contractile velocity during injury rehabilitation, the maintenance of elastic response in the lower limbs for any type of trainee regardless of whether they sprint, and so on. [b]

Many routine exercises we performed in all the videos and or footage had some kind of indirect transfer. Many of the exercises and or drills were simple, easy to repeat in a daily training routine. Everything does not have to be complicated to be effective.[/b]

So, from the standpoint of transfer, and provided biomechanical efficiency is preserved, there is no right or wrong until a specific movement structure is identified as being the landmark which provides context for all means of preparation.

? Drills or Power Speed are useful for almost any sport that involves running fast. End of story. I don’t understand your point.

So, let’s say you see a sprinter performing A-Skips and their kinematics (geometric positions and forces that mobilize them) are efficient; however, the way in which (rhythm/timing) they are performing the drill seems “bad” to you. In this case, you would first have to ask them or their coach “what is the reason behind you performing the skips that way?” The answer to that question would then reveal if they know what they are doing or not.

I would NEVER ask anyone " what is the reason behind you performing the A-skip that way". How might you expect your athlete to have any clue? It’s your job to conclude, and evaluate your athlete based on what you are seeing.
I would most certainly ask my athlete " how are you feeling?”. If they are feeling great, I might expect to see bounce and life in their step whether it be bum kicks or Running A’.s If their response is “I feel like crap” invariably as coach you would see this almost right away. ( body language, attitude, lack of energy etc).

In this way, the only way a drill can be “bad” is if it is either performed with biomechanical inefficiency or if it’s method of execution yields neutral or negative transfer relative to the target of training.

The “good and not good” regarding power speed drills is rooted in the biomechanical execution relative to target of training which justifies the performance of the drill. As I stated, there are numerous reasons for performing the various drills and each reason provides the context for how the drill is performed.

[b]Three Subjective Cues ( Coach, are you using this method? If not, what are your favorite cues you feel work well and why?)

1. Less is more. How do you feel will elicit a great deal of information from athlete to coach. The coach needs to take this information and use it to make things better for the training short and long term

2. Cues that required complicated thinking or decisions for the athlete are not desirable. This is the value of developing routine warm ups , training and exercises and training protocols. Reinvention of the wheel need not happen each session , week or month.

3. Observe, study and ask those you know what are the best cues you use and ask he or she why do they feel they are effective. [/b]

Thank you Flash. Thank you for paying attention.

ange what over cues would Charlie have used?

Cues Charlie would use often

Charlie listened more than he spoke.

Multiple times per day he would ask his athlete’s " how are you feeling?" What followed would not be a discussion between himself and his athlete. What followed would be an instruction based on the information he just gained from his curious and open minded question " how are you feeling today".

Very little instruction was given from Charlie except simple cues that were very easy to follow and always based first and foremost on the feedback he routinely gathered throughout the practice. He refrained from using too many cues for the reason that one cue did not mean all people would respond accordingly.

I can’t emphasis enough the idea that less is more and saying less is better and setting your athlete up to succeed in simple drills that are easy to replicate and easy to perform daily.

How do your muscles feel? was a cue he often asked.

How do you feel?was another que often asked.

Do you feel you are able to do another run?

I am really not sure of any specific cues many of you yearn for me to report. I remember wanting to punch him in the face if he asked me one more time " how are you feeling?". Perhaps that gives you some idea how many times he asked this questions through out the day. How many people actually ask you in a day " how do you feel?". If you are paying attention, there is a great deal of information you will retrieve by the answer given. What you do about this is entirely up to you.

Watch some of the video’s in real time that show Charlie in action. What you see there is exactly how he operated.
I hope I have answered your question. I am not sure i gave you what you hoped for.

You don’t need direct transfer to happen from a drill for it to be effective. The drill performed, or power speed does not have to be excellent or perfect or good for it to be helpful , strength and coordination building and useful for running well and fast.

Hence the value of indirect transfer yielding the possibility of positive results.

Many routine exercises we performed in all the videos and or footage had some kind of indirect transfer. Many of the exercises and or drills were simple, easy to repeat in a daily training routine. Everything does not have to be complicated to be effective.

We are in agreement, if any of what I’ve written seems complicated trust that this has no bearing on how I communicate with athletes. I, however, (and this is not directed at you) expect more cerebral aptitude from coaches/teachers and since I’ve communicated for so many years with coaches from abroad who do not speak English as a first language I have found it efficient to speak in technical/scientific vernacular as this is universal language (unlike the acronyms, abbreviations, buzzwords, and coach speak that permeates the western sports world- much of which has no biomechanical/technical/scientific/anatomical bearing).

? Drills or Power Speed are useful for almost any sport that involves running fast. End of story. I don’t understand your point.

I agree; however, the spectrum of movements that characterize different sports includes a wide a variety of actions that are trainable via drills (subcomponents of the sport action itself- just like the relationship between power speed and sprinting), what I refer to a positional power speed. In this way, the relationship in which you understand power speed to relate to sprint development is analogous to how to what I refer to as positional power speed relates to a variety of other sporting actions, not only sprinting.

I would NEVER ask anyone " what is the reason behind you performing the A-skip that way". How might you expect your athlete to have any clue? It’s your job to conclude, and evaluate your athlete based on what you are seeing.
I would most certainly ask my athlete " how are you feeling?”. If they are feeling great, I might expect to see bounce and life in their step whether it be bum kicks or Running A’.s If their response is “I feel like crap” invariably as coach you would see this almost right away. ( body language, attitude, lack of energy etc).

Seems you missed my point. My point was should you be struck by curiosity relative the way an athlete (not your own) was performing a drill you may feel inclined to discover the reason behind it(irrespective if you asked them or their coach…). That said, over the years, in a few different countries, my athletes have made jokes about how often I ask them how they feel. When I was at PITT they would start joking as I approached and before I could ask they’d say “we feel fine James…”