Sprint LJ training with 2x HI

Duplicate message removed

One thing I noticed in Jonathan Edward’s training log was that he usually separated weights from sprints or jumps sessions. A typical week during SPP consisted of one or two event specific sessions (sprints and or triple jump) and two or three weigts sessions which often included a snatch variant, a clean variant as well as the bench press). Monthly testing sessions and occasional circuits as well as a few plyos (usually after the weights) were thrown in as well. During comp phase a typical week had one triple jump competition, one sprints session and three weights sessions (which most commonly consisted of only one of the three main lifts he did). The day before a competition often had an easy session consisting of a warmup and strides.

When only doing two sessions per week of event specific HI work, do you think it is preferable to spread the other HI work (explosive weights in this case) over the rest of the week to achieve a higher frequency of HI stimuli like he did, or would you still do the weights following the track work?

An ‘it depends’ response is surely the most responsible answer.

While a more frequent exposure to like stimuli, throughout the training week, provides for more frequent adjustment/fine tuning opportunities, it also, and for these same reasons, requires greater tolerance for CNS intensive loading. Alternatively, the consolidated approach, while featuring a greater workload concentration on the HI days, provides for more recovery opportunity between them.

Did my first LJ from five easy strides with landing today after a few sessions of pop ups. Any comments on my form? I think the penultimate is a lot better, but the take-off foot seems to strike the board with the heel first, which I think may need to be fixed, The take-off angle seems a bit too steep: https://youtu.be/pXi70mvp2Eg

Unfortunately, I had to stop afterwards, as my left hip seized up in this jump. I think the problem is in my TFL. It’s the motion of bringing the foot forward for the landing that’s causing the problem, which I have experienced in the past. It feels like some sort of impingement. I sometimes get a milder version of it when I sprint with high knee lift or do alternate leg bounding, but usually only at the beginning and then it gets better as it warms up. The easiest way to reproduce the pain is using my hands to pull my left knee to my chest. The more internally rotated the hip is while doing this the more likely this will be to produce a sudden sharp pain. With the hip in external rotation no pain is elicited. Any thoughts/experiences with this type of issue?

I haven’t seen any other videos of you, however, your position on the board is solid (pelvic neutrality) and the heel contact is not an issue. In flight, however, you would do well to increase the amplitude of your arm swing (down, around, and overhead) as your right leg is cycling forward as this will facilitate increased momentum.

Nice lift off the board.

Thanks for sharing this Vid robin1. Motivating to me for sure. What Age band are you in? 35-40?
I’ll put some vid of me in about a month. I’ll jump into the pit from the grass however. I’ll do a hitch kick and use my arms very aggressively.
Sorry to hear you are having issues. I injured my left knee a month ago playing around with the kids. I jumped up for a ball and landed on a slippery surface. Luckily, I wasn’t running fast.

Thanks for the comments. The tentative action in the air was because I was worried I might hurt my hip with the landing, which ended up happening anyway. I think I will change my technique to a basic sail technique a la Ivana Spanovic in an attempt to avoid these hip issues. I can do pop ups without problem, but as soon as I attempt to land I get this hip pain.

Yes, I’m turning 37 this year.

Had an X Ray and ultrasound done. Nothing unusual on the x Ray. Ultrasound should some minor iliopsoas and rectus femoris tendon thickening, but I’m not convinced this is the source of my problems, as I can fully load these muscles without any problems. I’m more leaning towards femoroacetabular impignment or anterior femoral glide syndrome. My internal rotation is quite limited, so I’m trying to address that now.

Hip issue got better quickly. Was able to Sprint at 90% four days later and at full speed a week later. Changed my flight and landing to a sail technique with a landing onto the right side instead of the left as in the video. Didn’t have any issues landing this way today, so I’m cautiously optimistic that I may have fixed the problem.

Here is a video of my new LJ technique. Doing it like this doesn’t bother my hip: https://youtu.be/jgpdbgeozDs. This was with a 7-stride approach. Distance was about 5.40m. Any thoughts?

Robin1, it seems as if the paradigm in which you must operate is predicated upon the aggregate of what feels the best and how you perform. Thus, if this is how you are able to perform LJ training pain free then, by all means, proceed. You are not violating any biomechanical contraindications in terms of structural overload thus I would encourage you to stay the course. Your vertical displacement looks impressive.

As you clearly have no weakness in converting velocity (horizontal to vertical) and you are making modifications to decrease the loading on the hip, you will be that much more well served by focusing on your velocity down the runway. We know that this is a major factor in LJ performance as is so in your case you might want to further amplify the training load proportion you’ve dedicated to that already large performance constituent.

Thanks James. Yes, I’m focussing 85% of my training on speed, and just adding about six to eight jumps at the end of one of my two weekly sprint sessions. In the past, I’ve always struggled converting my speed into distance with approaches of more than 12 strides or so, but I think that was due to suboptimal takeoff mechanics and insufficient training frequency. The plan is now to increase the length of the approach by two strides every four weeks or so while keeping a close eye on technique. At the same time, I’m focussing on developing my speed to get my maxV back to >10m/s (Highest ever was 10.3m/s, but currently atabout 9.6m/s due to a series of injuries that prevented systematic training over the last 1.5 years).

Update: Since my last post, I’ve continued training for sprints and LJ, which has not always been easy due to various injuries/niggles (hamstring strain, sports hernia, perineus tendinopathy) that kept interrupting my training. No matter what I tried, I didn’t seem able to get my speed to the level I should be capable off (I’m about 0.4s slower than I was just two years ago). I started doing some LJ comps with shortened runups over the last few months. I got up to 15 strides, but had too many interruptions to get to a full run-up of 17 strides as planned. Since 2005, I have injured my hamstring every time I jumped off a full approach, which is why I tried to build myself up to this level very slowly this time round.

Today, I competed at the World Masters Championships in the M35 long jump (I’m 37 now), which is the comp I had been working towards. I jumped 6.52m off 15 strides on my first attempt, which equalled my PB from 8 years ago (when I was a lot faster). I then moved out to 17 strides and had two good fouls, but then ran out of energy for the last three jumps (wasn’t able to get any lift off the board anymore). I had not jumped off 17 strides for 8 years and hadn’t done more than four jumps in a comp since 1999.

I came fourth, 15cm off the bronze medal. Given all the troubles I had preparing for this comp I’m pleased with this result.

On Sun, I’ll be running the 4x100m relay.

Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way.

Congratulations Robin1

Awesome man! Congrats. I kept checking the results for the meet daily looking for your marks. Tnx for the update.

Thank you. There were some quality long jumpers at these world masters champs. The M45 and M40 age divisions were won by former 8m+ athletes. We had someone with a 7.75m PB in our group, but he was injured and didn’t jump well. The W35 was won by someone who participated in the last two Olympics.