sports hernia

The big problem with Sports Hernias is the diagnosis.

MRI can’t be relied on, nor is Ultrasound universally accepted (though IMO it can be be very useful with skilled doctor).
So what do you use?
Patient history, nature of the Pain etc and then tests.

The above is not a test I have ever heard anyone else use - I just found that with people who I had seen who had been diagnosed with Sports Hernia it seemed to corrleate very well and my healthy pateints didn’t seem to complain of the same pain.

Doing resisted curls is often touted as ‘the’ or another method of diagnosis however the movement can create impingements alone IMO. not to mention the use of the abdominals and psoas.

In some cases - a very good surgeon can tell by simply putting his hand along your waist and palpating your inguinal ligament or inguinal crease with his finger tips while you generate IAP without even having to go ‘up and under’.

Let me know how you go.

By the way - you’re getting very artistic recently!
What’s happening man?

“Picture is worth thousand words”

It is faster for me to create picture than to spend x3 times exaplining… and people get my message better…

Just watch me when I get Digital Camera!!! :smiley:

You’re a real Picasso!
I can’t wait!
:slight_smile:

I’m looking at them too funny you should say!

Duxx - try pixmania.com
I think its very good value.

THis is true. This is exactly what prompted me to go in the first place.

WHen I did TRICEP pulldowns with my back facing the weights. The pain became worse and I never had the pain in the beginning. As a matter of fact I had gotten to moving the entire stack and I only weigh 178.

Well if I did not state it already, I am having the surgery.

another element to this discussion is my surgeon of choice cuts and does not do it the “ortho” way. Everyone that has the cut procedure that I have spoke to were only down less than a week. Why I do not know but it has been a consistent response around the table.

Everything is posible in MicroSoft (is that Bill Gate’s “Big Jim” :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile: ) Visio — great thing for such stuff — I do all of my pictures in it… it is great! And simple!

Sorry Sonic - just explain that last bit - do you mean that you are not getting key hole surgery?
And that you will be in hospital for a week?
Do I follow you right?

I’ll be getting the cut, not the key hole and recovery is less than a week under this prodecure

Recovery is more than a week kid.
You could leave hospital in a few hours after the cut, but the total recovery time is more like 8 weeks.

Ok, I am just returned from the gym and drinked my PWO drink… now the observations!

1. During Warm-up, I did isometrical push up position with arm lifting in front (shoulder flexion) — I noticed slight pain in my inguinal tunnel. The whole ab wall is contracted in this position, especially obliques externus.

2. Doing no23 exercise (Standing Arm Straigh Pull down), I noticed slight pain in the same are but with medium weigh. With greater weigh I didn’t noticed any!

3. I did some easy deep squats, and I felt a dumb pain in my hip (somewhere around TFL and Glute Min), after finishing the set…

4. I did some heavy bag work, and trying to low kick with right leg I noticed a sligh pain in groin (iliopsoas).

I am confused why the hell I have pain while squating!!! It seems like a slight iliopsoas strain and maybe, as some weird compensatory mechanism a hernia sympoms… I am being supid here or what!?? I am not PT, so I can only guess what is happening here… Can it be both?
I am going to surgeon in monday so I am going to give you a feedback how I go!

major pain issues gone in less than a week. Usually in 8 weeks they are already working out again, w/n reason.

6 people said the same thing.

BTW,
how the surgery is done? Is there any “implants”? My friend mentioned “iron network” implant… Man, I don’t want to beep at the airport…

They use a bio-mesh. Kinda like very thin chicken wire mesh.

You’ll be fine at airports - though when you’re phone rings you get a nice electrical induced vibration effect.

funny but true

Just got back from examination of under “The big Jim and twins” and here is the diagnosis:

Haernia ingvinalis lat dex incipiens
For now, there is no indications for surgical tratments”

There are no bulges! Doc said, like the last time, that due IAP and stress to that area, area gets imflamated and produce “dumb pain”. Anyway, the pain reduced since last week — I did some iliopsoas strenghtening too. Better now! Hip is better, but not “mine” yet…
Because I am not pro athlete there is no need for surgical treatment, only to unload when I reach a load that produces pain after training for 1-2 weeks and then hit it again…
I think that little strain is also involved… doing some hip work!

I would love to ask, as it is shown to be of great importance of speeding up the recovery afterwards, how would you prepare for the surgery of sport hernia? Any exercises recomendations? Is continual sport practice enough, or there is need for something special?

Remove Aggravating factors
Address Health any issues first
Postural correction - eliminate hypertension in antagonists
Ensure proper recruitment patterns
Strengthen core musculature
Strengthen movements

booked my sports hernia surgery for one week from tomorrow…

the doc has done hundreds of hernia surgerys including half the OSU track team.

although he said i would only be OUT for 1 week…and then ill be back on the track whenever i feel ready…

have u had the surgery yet SONIC BOOM

i have surgery tomorrow morning. finally.

Best wishes - it will go fine