Speed training

Maybe I’ll be able to articulate my point a little better this time.

First, let me start off by asking how often can we sprint maximally, I mean really maximally? Once per week sounds about right and is usually the agreed upon figure if I’m not mistaken. Yet, even though we can only sprint at full speed once per week, a lot of us run 2-3 days per week. Why?

The main argument is that we need to develop the rhythm and the correct firing and timing sequences and so on and so forth, but are we really doing that if we’re running at 95-99%? Running 100% is drastically different in terms of forces encountered, recruitment rates, and firing sequences and. For this reason, running 95% will not directly help you run faster at 100%. What it will do though is strengthen the muscular and connective tissues and provide conditioning. However, if running at less than 100% is not skill-specific to running at 100% and is only a strengthening tool, then why use it at all?

Sure, running can work as a strengthening tool, but depth jumps and bounds involve much higher forces and would lead to faster adaptations. The same goes for weights. Sure, neither of them match the firing patterns of running 100%, but neither does sprinting at anything less than 100%.

So, I guess that’s my reasoning. You’re only truly training your rhythm and what not when going absolutely balls to the wall. For this reason, the only time I sprint is when I’m going for PRs and all other work is supplementary to increase my body’s readiness to go faster next sprint session.

RJ i have another question or you may call it advice, will you be singing the same song this summer if you run 11.9 fat 100m?

I can jog an 11.9 in my sleep right now. I won’t have any FAT times for 2 weeks, but I can say that all of my training times are way down and <11.3 FAT will be a piece of cake.

Just wait until June 5th and if I fail to run around or below 11.5 FAT you can question me all you want and I’ll deserve it.

Kool, i will give you credit if you run below 11.5 fat.

Regarding weights and athletes…Tzekhos group used them. , at least in some part of the season…carl Lewis…off course he didn’t like them…but since his coach Tellez was using, there is no reason why a 18 YO athlete, talented but still no one, would impose his view on a coach with 20 years of coaching…I think the no weights issue was lead by a desire to present himself as “natural” opposed to the " built innatural " ben Johnson…who knows…

Some practices are not so physiologically sound…

I’m not sure I understand your comment. Could you clarify, please.

I am referring to Abadijev’s, at least the way it is presented.

Then why sprint in any form outside of a race situation where the speeds will be higher than in practice?

Hey Ian, long time no see.

And to answer your question, that would be the best thing to do. If I could race regularly enough then that would be exactly what I’d do. Since I don’t have access to that many races though, I put myself in the mindset that every rep I run is a race and I go at it 100%.

If you are still running 98%, that is near maximum speeds while maintaining proper relaxation and reinforcing this through repetition.

I don’t see how you expect to improve your times without doing proper sprint work more than 1x a week.

So are you saying that CF, Dan Pfaff, and basically every other sprint coach has been wrong with prescribing 2-3 speed sessions per week?

And my question still has been unanswered, but what elites have been successful in team sports, track, etc with using inno-sport style training?

Running at 98% and running at 100% are completely different beasts. Running at 98% is not specific to running at 100%. Will it help speed endurance? Yes, but that’s another matter entirely. If I were training for SE then 98% would be fine, but not if I were training for top speed.

And no, CF and gang aren’t all wrong. There is more than one way to skin a cat and mine is simply a different way.

As for how I can expect to improve my times, I’ll have dropped .7+ seconds off my 100M over the last year while living and training in Alaska. And not to make this personal, but haven’t you been using CF’s system for a long time now yet are still slow? Does that say anything?

Finally, regarding the Inno-Sport question, do a bit of research on your own. In no way do I have to justify my choice of system to you, especially if all you can do is insult it without understanding.

Sorry if my post comes off as angry or as if I’m in a foul mood because I am. Not internet related.

Wow, now I’m slow lol. You’re a funny guy.

I guess a 4.48h 40 yard/49.9 400m is slow nowadays. We’ll see this summer how ‘slow’ I am.

And now you’re personally insulting me, which you have no clue about my training times, pr’s, etc. And I’ve only been using a true cf style training template for maybe 2 years off and on, with the past 12 weeks on a true short to long structured program.

Proof will be in the pudding, I have read on inno rj, and I’m just not a fan. The wgf guys all claim that it’s the godsend of training, and if I remember right called all cf.com members “kool-aid” drinkers. Whatever the hell that means.

Yes there’s more than one way to skin a cat, and since you have yet to break 11.5, are you considered fast?

A 4.48h 40 is pretty good, as is 49.9 (relay split I assume), but not really all that fast. The best I’ve managed is a video-timed 4.74 for what it’s worth, which would be around 4.5 if done like in the NFL combine (manual start, laser finish). Am I fast either? No, not at all, but I’m working on it and I don’t go around telling other people their ways of training are wrong or ask them to explain themselves.

And the actual WGF guys said nothing like that, one guy who used their system did. You can’t hold an organization responsible for the comments of someone who is not a member.

Sorry for insulting you, but you entered this thread with a closed mind and started by basically saying I didn’t know what I was doing because it was contrary to what you had learned. It wasn’t me who turned this thread into a “my system is better than yours” contest. Also, like I said earlier, I’m in a bad mood and this thread is doing little to help.

RJ you make it seem like the system we are following isnt proven etc, the system that CF, DP and those guys use are tested and proven and have been in place for years the same cant be said about the system you are using.

No, the system I’m using hasn’t been proven extensively on sprinters, but it and its principles have been used to train athletes in the NHL, MLB, and many NCAA football players. Not everyone who uses the Inno-Sport system on their athletes posts about it and most of them would prefer to remain anonymous despite their success.

I guess I’ll have to be the sprinter who proves it, as I’m the only one using it publicly for that purpose and keeping a log.

Whoever said that running 100% is even the best way to run a fast time, let alone the best way to train? The 100% cue is a sure way to force tightness rather than relaxation and, ironically, probably a carry over from a “grind mentality” developed from training in other means than sprinting itself.

I wish you the best of luck and you no doubt work very hard, but it sometimes seems as if you are ignoring the facts of proven performance in favor of being different for the sake of being different. Also how are you able to claim that you lopped nearly a second off of your time when you haven’t even ran in a meet?

Finally, without an appreciable amount of speed training, what high intensity element have you used for your “overload.” I ask this because unless I am mistaken I don’t think you squat heavy or Olympic lift.

Never said your training was wrong, I simply stated that I don’t think sprinting once a week will yield the best speed improvements.

Fair enough on the wgf comment, my mistake.

I am not even close to being close-minded, I am using a little bit of stuff from inno in my training matter of fact (reactive split squats, depth drops) but the system as a whole just IMO doesn’t apply to me.

Who ever said this was a my system is better than your system thread?? You’re blowing this way out of proportion.

I ask you a couple questions and you get all bent out of shape.

And as far as the 4.48 and 49.9 not being fast, it’s fast enough to compete. I am primarily a football player, track is second. What is your definition of fast?

Like I said, this summer we’ll see when the results come through. Hope you PR, that’s what I’m going for.

You made me laugh, but you bought up some great points.

i thought our friend west58 said all cf members are kool aid drinkers. :cool: