sons results

Yes that is right - those kids born in 92 and 93. He wants to run in the Secondary Chamos in December (Juniors). Not sure where they are to be held. Is it Chch?

I’m pretty sure they are.

Is your son competing at Interprovincials in Auckland at Easter? My daughter is in the age 12 team from Otago and is in 800m, 1500m , High Jump & Long Jump.

Those times of your son are good :smiley:

FYI I hear that once CWG is out of the way the major focus of Athletics NZ is development and talent ID so be patient. I am sure your son will be spotted from his Colgate performances.

Yeah he’ll be at the Interprovincials in Akl. He’s in the 12 year old grade in the Hawkes Bay/Gisborne team. Not sure what events he will be doing as yet, but assume they will be 100s, 200s LJ and possibly 400s. We are still waiting for HB to confirm details.

Will you be attending the meet.

No.

Daughter in Akl and son at Easter camp means my wife and I are Home Alone :eek: :smiley:

Yes indeed they are in chch, best of luck for your son in North island champs.

Nationals takes place in early december. So a good 8 months away.

and by the way if he does well in north island its a good gauge of how well he will perform in secondary champs.

75% of athletic talent comes out of NI while SI is like 25%

lol

which is in keeping with the population distribution :smiley:

I think his main problem is that while the NI are run in three grades u14, u16 and u19 the Secondary Schools in Dec are run in two grades so he will be up against far tougher competition. Looking at past results the juniors have been running times of 11.1. We have a kid here, Charlie Ngatai, who has won the silver in the junior grade over the last two years. He is being touted as a definite future all black. He made the Gisborne Boys High first XV as a fourth former - alomost unheard of and last year won their sportsman of the year award as a fourth former.

Understand what you are saying but I think one of the things to keep in mind is success in juniors doesn’t always mean success at seniors. There was a comment on a thread the other day that said somthing like only 10% of winners at world junior athletics go on to win at world seniors.

As good as Sec Schools events are there is a concern that Sec school succcess is seen as the ultimate rather than a stage to success as a senior. The Maadi Cup rowing regatta being a classic example, This is a HUGE event in the school sporting calandar yet for an extremely high % of of the competitors it is their last ever rowing race.

All that said I know how difficult it is to get a young teen to be patient and take a longer term view. :smiley:

yes he will be competing with many juniours who are 1 year older than him so its tough.

11.50 or below should get him into the juniour final tho.

If he does go the experience will be good for him irrespective of the result. he will be 13 in July so has some years to go. We do not want to push him too much, and want him to play other sports as well. He plays a fairly mean game of soccer :slight_smile: and is a really quick bowler - though he gave up cricket this season.

keep him out of the 400’s.
it a real demanding distance.
Your kid is young let him do what he’s best at.
the 100 and sometimes a 200.
it would be a shame if he’d be doing too much too young.

give hi a few years and he’ll run a 47 on the 400 from scratch

Yarride competed in the North Island Secoondary School Champs Junior Division (U 14) over the weekend. His results were:

100 m 11.59 first

200 m 24.05 first

LJ 5.71 m third

In the 100 m he broke the record but it was disallowed as the wind was too strong (+2.6) In the 200 m I don’t think he was pushed enough and seemed to ease up at the end. In the LJ he was in 2nd position till the last round when he was pipped by 1 cm. All in all, it was a successful meet for him as he obtained PBs in all his events. He also has one more year in this grade, so he can target the records.

He has the Interprovincials in two weeks time and that will be end of the season for him

Fantastic results :smiley: he will be feeling very proud of himself and no doubt you are of him.

WE don’t have anyone here of that quality in that age group. One of our best prospects is in the U14 and willbe in Auck. I’ll PM you his name.

Woah, your son has really come a long way. Looks like he’d be some competition for me now :o . He’ll be running low 11s in no time.

Well done. Thats flying.

Yolvin

Impressive times run by your son

My son is now 11 years run times of 13.1 in the 100 m and 19.5 in the 150 m

Can you post a breakdown of your sons 100 m times like 10m, 20m, 30 m, 60m, 80 m for comparison purposes

A little bit information regarding the training program of your child will also be interesting

I’ve got no idea of what the breakdown of his times is. As far as trainging is concerned he does about 20 mins twice a week of what I call technical stuff - starts, running bends etc and twice a week just basic stretching and conditioning. We do not have any great coaching or training factilities where we live. The person who does his technical training used to be a walker and has more experience training 400m to 1500 m runners and walkers. However, my son and he have a good rapport so they get along well. The only thing I sort of focus on with him is that he maintains his general fitness levels and so encourage/force him to play as many sports as possible and generally keep active. I read about people doing weight training and pylometrics (??) but feel that he is too young yet to get into such regimes.

Also, his growth patterns may change over the next few years and he could lose his speed in comparison to other kids in his age group. So for the time being we are just enjoying his success without trying to put too much pressure on him.

I don’t know if this is of any help to you or even if it is the best thing to do for him. However, I would like to think that he has a special talent and that he can fulfil his potential.

In fact I would be happy to hear from people wiht suggestions of how to go ahead

Few Q’s;

How tall?

How many kgs?

Thanks.

About 5’ 6" and 55 kgs