Some block starts

Today’s session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yYWfaTXbs
First 2 reps were warmup, 3rd rep was warmup but went out a little longer 3rd rep was the start of a 60m, last rep was submaximal
For arm action I thought about bringing my thumbs up to itch my ribs.

I think it’s really starting to look better. Less reaching and staying inside your sweet-spot for your limb mechanics.

How does it look to you? How does it feel?

Great job.

Anyone else seeing improvements?

Yes, definitely looking smoother. Much less dipping of the front shin especially on the final rep. Arms still look powerful but quicker with a less pausing at the end range of motion.

One thing I noticed is your shoulders progressively get more vertical on every rep, in the early reps you’re leaned out over the line in set position and by the last rep your arms are perpendicular to the track.

On the later reps I focused more on having pressure on the pedals. These blocks are not what I would use ideally as the pedals are wavy and seems like my whole foot never quite can apply pressure. I feel more comfortable when they have only one curve but these do a heck of a job sticking into the track. Will hopefully have my Gill National blocks up and running this week.

Thanks, it looks good to me and it’s nice to see improvements after limited sessions wit the camera. What I still don’t like is that on block extension my rear knee angle closes alot and I feel like that first step could be shortened although in my mind during the rep I’m thinkin of getting the foot down quick.

As for how it feels… it feels really good although sometimes the lower heel recovery still isn’t automatic. Also feels like on full length accels my first 5m or so is holding back before I can really be quick. After some more repititions I’m sure it’ll feel better. Cueing to step over the opposite knee really helped me with top speed mechs and it must have just stuck for any time I’m running fast. Next session I’m going to see if cueing a step over the ankle or shin will work with early accel and I’m going to contrast speed sessions with some light sled work periodically to see if the low heel happens automatically with those…