Soccer Planning and Tempo

Hey guys,
I’ve been getting a private messages as of late, but, their inbox is full so i cannot reply.
He plays Soccer.
Some of these Q’s - would be better suited on the forum as there are plenty of guys who play soccer, and these Q’s would apply to them also.

One component of my training I have not yet done really is tempo. I do skill work on my lighter days. I suppose that won’t be a replacement for tempo. I will do skill work on A.M. of the lighter days and tempo on P.M. What tempo workout should I start off with and can you give me the best way to progress?

And also

I’ve been wondering about this for now. I have regained my form and touch of the game and I do really well whenever I go play weekend games and sometimes I feel like if there were better competitions I would improve more. Do you think I should sacrifice playing on Sat and Sun and instead do speed and strength work 3 times a week and tempo 3 times and take one day off. Would that make me a better player in the long run as I might improve my athletic qualities better and improve my speed with the ball instead of doing speed and strength twice a week and playing on Sat and Sun.

What do you say?

Thanks

Thanks for posting this boldwarrior. Yes I want to see everyone’s opinion on this… I’ve heard in the past that shorter rests between tempo reps is better for recovery or something? So It would be better to rest 40-45 seconds instead of doing sets of tempo. Also I was thinking about the distance… is it better to do 100m tempo reps instead of 200m just to stay away from the 200m maybe causing a greater chance to build up lactic as it is longer? I also do skill work before I do tempo work on my light days. I think doing skill a.m. and tempo p.m. would take away recovery time and beat up my legs more.

I would like to see what is the best way to progress on my tempo work. I will have 2 days of tempo work and I am planning on playing soccer in college wherever I get the chance. I do speed and strength work on Tuesday and Thursday and play pickup games on Saturday and Sunday. Monday is my full day off.

My priority is skill and speed work and strength and tempo is used to just build aerobic capacity and help me with recovery.

I have found the most important thing with tempo is the pace is the same for every rep. Shortening rest can be done, as long as the pace of the runs doesn’t get worse.

I usually increase volume to the level I feel they need. They I begin to modify rest. Sometimes I keep rest time the same, but add 10 abs reps, or 5-10 bent knee push ups during that rest time. I found in my first year working with soccer players, many got sick of the same tempo workouts. To keep compliance, I came up with modified version of distances 100-300 which I outlined in the threads somewhere.

Skill sessions should be categorized as hi-low (at least I feel this way as a HI-LO follower). Doing juggling and easy touch work is not demanding and can be done almost any time. Once you start adding in short sprints, sharp fast changes of direction dribbling, or fast pace passing drills, then I count this as high intensity effort.

Sounds good… i do high intensity speed dribbling on speed days and on tempo days its technical work at controlled pace but i still have sharp turns and stuff because it is essential to always practice them and improve.

I haven’t done a proper tempo session but want to play at a college level…what do you suggesti start off with and how should i progress

Sounds good… i do high intensity speed dribbling on speed days and on tempo days its technical work at controlled pace but i still have sharp turns and stuff because it is essential to always practice them and improve.

I haven’t done a proper tempo session but want to play at a college level…what do you suggesti start off with and how should i progress

Also, should I do the tempo and skill sessions seperatly? Like skills in a.m. and tempo in p.m. to save time and focus on each? If the workload is the same I suppose it won’t beat up my legs? And between the reps and sets of my tempo can I juggle the ball or take easy touches on the ball instead of walking?

My first priority of the tempo is to use it as a recovery mechanism rather than pure endurance focused work because I am more concerned with speed and strength and power than endurance so I don’t want my tempo work to hurt my high cns days so that is why I am asking detail questions about how it would be best to do the tempo work and progress on it. I’ve looked at your previous threads and I see you do like 10x100m working over to 40x100 with 35 sec rest? Wouldn’t it be safer to have the 40x100m to be seperated into 4 sets? And how fast do you progress?