SE and long jump

Is it possible that there is a correlation between the elastic requirements of the long sprints and the jumping power seen in the LJ?

I have seen a certain correlation between the phases where I did some kind of SE and my single leg elastic strength but don’t find the “theoretical” explanation.

It’s somehow counterintuitive because you would expect that a maximum amount of fast twitch fibers help jumping power, but SE somehow plays a role.

The speeds hit in SE may be close to those maintained through takeoff…

You also get leaner through SE which could help your hops…

And tendon stiffness is improved through sprinting. The fact that SE is more upright than accel may magnify this.

-Strangely enough, even after all the methods listed above, it’s anaerobic endurance training that appears to have the greatest effect on tendon and ligament strength (Siff, 2003). This may be due to the link between lactic acid production and the increase of a certain collagen synthesizing enzyme (Booth & Gould, 1975). Regardless of what it’s due to though, any anaerobic endurance training is great for increasing tendon stiffness.

-Regarding specifics, anaerobic endurance training generally consists of any kind of intense work between 40-60 seconds in duration. This can be sprinting, continuous weight lifting, or even cyclical jumps. No matter what’s used, as long as the intensity is high enough and the set duration is correct, the right training effect will be found.

Something from one of rj’s articles

Change 40-60secs to 20-30secs and I’ll buy it for LJ.

Ha, I wrote that quite a while ago.

Mort’s right as far as sprinting is concerned, 20-30 seconds is enough. For other activities though (almost all of which are less metabolically demanding) the original 40-60 second guideline works well.

this was covered in detail in the forum a number of years ago. Check the first forum review if you have it, or the archives. I’m not sure where it is exactly

The other thing to consider is that a large SE volume interferes with max strength gains. Which, I believe, is one of the reasons why there are less strength gains in SPP2 and 3.

Developing SE also prolongs the duration of the cycle, taking it further away from strength… which seems a bad idea for horizontal jumps. CF’s Charlie’s High Intensity Training for Sports graph shows HI requirements from 200m to Oly lifter, not sure exactly where long jump fits but it seems that the annual plan should be at least triple periodized.

So the question is how to use SE without interfering with strength gains to much…

I would say limiting distance of reps to 200m and mantaining 90%+ intensities would be a good start.

I have seen some jumpers (8m+) using intensive tempo to a big extent, but I don’t know if this hampers their speed.

As you mentioned a problem is max strength loss, but most jumpers are slightly away from their strength peak when their bounding peaks. Perhaps SE could help to increase the elastic response after a strength peak.

Thoughts?

Its funny that this topic comes up because the other day my long jumper friend was telling me how he noticed that a lot of the jumpers he was competing against were also 400m runners.

At a Florida training camp I had the pleasure of training with James Beckford for a few weeks. Aside from approach runs, he did some 300m runs a few times a week. Usually in the 34s range. He said that when you put fitness, form and power together than you’re ready to compete, indicating that these runs were mostly for fitness.