Sally Pearson injures thigh

THIS REPORTER TAKES A PARTICULARLY DARKSIDE VIEW IN HIS COVERAGE OF ATHLETICS. IF HE KNEW MORE, HE WOULD NOT BE SO MELODRAMATIC. HOWEVER, HE DID FIND A SPORTS DOCTOR WHO OBLIGED HIS GLOOM AND DOOM PERSPECTIVE…TIME WILL TELL OF COURSE.

LATEST REPORT IS THAT SALLY WILL TRAIN LIGHTLY FOR TWO WEEKS BECAUSE THERE IS NO FIBRE TEAR, JUST A LOW GRADE MUSCLE “STRAIN” ACCORDING TO SCAN RESULTS… kk

Quadriceps strain dents Sally Pearson’s Olympic hopes

by: Damien Stannard
December 19, 20117:48PM
Sally Pearson, in action during the recent European season, injured her thigh in the Gippsland Gift final at Traralgon last Saturday. Source: News Limited

WORLD champion hurdler Sally Pearson’s Olympic dream could be shattered if her latest injury is treated poorly.

The Queensland gold medal hope broke down with a thigh injury in the Gippsland Gift final at Traralgon last Saturday.

Pearson stayed in Melbourne for treatment and a MRI scan that revealed a minor quadriceps strain.

Her coach Sharon Hannan said the track star would have a lighter workload while the muscle repaired, but could be back in full training by the new year.

But a musculoskeletal expert said the setback, if treated improperly, could make or break her Olympic campaign.

“For her, the quadriceps is so important for explosive flexion of the knee,” said Dr Shane Brun from Sports Medicine Australia.

"Any injury, depending on which muscle and the grade (of the strain), could make a substantial difference.

“It could be make or break. It could be a show-stopper, depending on how bad it is.”

Dr Brun said early treatment was critical. “It only needs to be something little to throw the whole thing out,” he said.

“If you don’t get on to it early, or don’t treat it properly, scar tissue can prevent you from stretching it out.”

Pearson is an ambassador for the meeting and had a victory, and the $5000 prize purse, in the bag when she felt the muscle twinge about 70m into the 120m handicap race.

The 25-year-old eased up to finish second before seeking treatment.

Pearson has been managing a chronic back problem and rebounded from a torn hamstring in 2008 to dominate the European season and lower her own national 100m hurdles record.

Any insights into her training program? Anyone familiar with the coach? She isn’t doing 2x 1000m runs like Perdita in November, is she?

From what I picked up here and there it seemed a tough program with an emphasis on 400m work in the fall.

But evidently it worked for her, so who are we to judge?

I havnt had anything to do with her for some yrs, but over 10yrs ago, she had over 150 kids she trained. I believe she is head coach still at the same track - with who knows how many kids now.
http://www.sportscredentials.com.au/club.history.ews

I recall reading a recent newspaper article which stated Sally was having a ‘chuck’ month of training, indicating it was going to be a big one with sessions that involved throwing up. I struggle to understand why she needed to race, other than the associated appearance money to attend this race. I would have thought she had bigger fish to fry!