Running the turn

Not really because it was so pendulum-like. It was so much less effort around the turn (seemingly to me, especially in the abs area). I also noticed right away that it was much easier to hold the inside line around the turn.

Charlie, would u accelerate coming off the turn? and as u enter the straightaway can you extend your arms from your body a bit. ive tried keepin it close to my body on the curve and it feels really weird.

Maybe you’ve got them in too far? Should swing like a pendulum with a 90d angle at the elbows. I would NOT accelerate off the curve as you should already have reached max velocity at the top of the turn and you should work on perfect form, relaxation, and maintenance from there. Trying to pick it up off the corner is the primary reason for injuries in the 200m and can cause you to tie up with no appreciable gain in velocity - even though it might feel that way.

When you speak of a “pendulum” action, are you saying there should not be a feeling of power/effort?

I’m speaking of the movement itself, not the power behind it.

Should there be a feeling of power behind it? Is the effort the same from start to finish?

there is power there (depending on level) though it is very relaxed. I’d describe the effort level as pretty consistent from start to finish.

how would apply this to running an indoor 200m? do i need to be more aggressive from the start? My start and curve running is definitely the weakest part of my race

HI Charlie

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thankyou again…

i have always followed many of your ideas and program outlines… this season we change a few minor things in the program ie gym same day as speed work for 1.

now also this tech you recommended running the turn… the results are amazing in fact to fast to early…

over the past 2 weeks and with 4 and 8 weeks until there major comps for the year they have smashed all previous 200m times.

here are examples of 200m results over past 2 weeks
sub 25 fem junior 0.61 improvment…
sub 25.5 fem junior 0.40 improvment
sub 24.2 fem fastest 200m time in 2 season.

have 3 x 16 year old male sprinters whom have all pb’d by more than 3/10th
one of has come down to 23.15 from 24.05 in past 2 weeks.

my concern is that they have gone to fast to early so i have schedualed in a week of sub max, rest & tempo work… but with the time frame left do we proceed as planned after this week?
and will 1 week of sub max be enough to recover…

:confused: :confused:

One week should be enough for both groups (4 and 8 weeks to key meet), as at least some of the improvement is due to improved technique. If there are any issues with “group 8” later, they can back off again for another 4 days after three weeks back on plan. Does that fit? The taper for these younger guys/girls might be a little less than 10 days at the end, but we can have a look after the next three week intensification.

have planned a 7 day taper for group 4 and a 10 day taper for group 9… (mentioned previously it was 8 wks but is 9 wks)…

group 8 will have their last hit out before the major peak of the year with group 4. had some serious racing over the past 3 weekends so feel with racing in weeks 3,4 & 9 (major meet) and off the back of a 10 day taper they be ready to go…

during the sub max and tempo week do you recommend weights? we have dropped it completely off this weeks plan as in the 100m they also went into new speed levels with new PB’s. for eg 1 fem athlete 3 races over the weekend 100m 3/10th PB, 200m heat 1/10th PB 200m final 4/10th PB from heat PB.

Good results… Wow…Your planning seems to be well thought out…

Keep the weights going, just back off the reps and weight a bit. That way, you won’t have to re-adapt.

thanks charlie

last week worked out well, it belted with rain for 2 days so we kept up the weights and just did 1 tempo session came back sharper then ever yesterday for some 20m flys.

have a question though 1 of my athletes has been invited to compete in Taiwan international meet just 6 weeks after he major peak. what is the best option to do after that peak.

week 1 tempo and weights
then after that repeat the final 5 weeks of her existing program but this time with a 7 day taper not 10? :confused: :confused:

For guys that run mid 21 outdoor but have to run indoor on 200m ‘non-banked’ tracks: do you focus on the head-tilt and keeping arms close or do you simply have to just slow down on the tight, unbanked turns?

We’ve discussed banked indoor turns already but unbanked are a real issue and you’d have to ask the value of doing it at all at that speed. Maybe 300m but I’d stay away from the 200 on an unbanked track if at all possible.

I am wondering the same thing. I seem to be kinda stumbly and messy on the curves indoors. Last week I went out in 11.3 for my first 100 and came back in 11.3. My second 100 should def. be faster.

In a workout yesterday I did some race modeling and this is what I did. I planned to do each rep with full 15 mins recovery but a track meet was coming in so I was rushed so I did the workout with 5-8 mins between reps.

I did a 100 starting from the 200 start. I ran it in 11.2 and felt great.
I then ran a 150 starting on the straight and ran 17.0.
I then ran a 120 tired and got no time.
And got no time for my 80.
I feel that If I am going out between 11.1-11.2
I should be coming back in at least 11.0 but when I start getting close to the middle of the curve I am havign trouble holding it and I notice a loss in velocity. I am tilting my head as well as shoulder a bit and really fighting with my right arm. Is there anything else that can be done? Should the stride be shortened at all?
I am only 5’7 so I cant imagine how these taller guys running 20 point run it.

True… then there’s the good ol’ 4x2. I do question the value of it like you said (2 & 4x2) but it’s big points for our team (20+) in the conference meet. Do you think the 2’s on these unbanked tracks present an injury risk that makes them not worth it?

hi charlie

in case you skipped passed it what are your opinions of post #34

regards Nanny

Do you think it is any good to practice blocks start in a curve but…indoor?