Roosters training

Thanks Old bloke, not taken as an ageist rant at all. I have taken the advice of a running tempo session and did 2 x 8 x 100m with 10 push ups at one end and 20 sit ups at the other end. Didn’t realise how unfit I was. What volume would you suggest for the tempo? I have a concern that if I reduce the training volume further, I will put on more weight , so am in a predicament. However, I will monitor my recovery and performance and will take on board the suggestions.

Looking at the distance of your speed sessions I presume you run 100/200 rather than 400. In which case tempo vols tend to be around 1000 - 2000 per session. Normally with reps in the range of 100-200m. 10x100, CF big and small circuits, your session above are typical.
If you are transitioning from bike tempo and have a history of leg issues you could work yoiur way up this range of volume.

Training volume and your weight:
If you are feeling some issues with tiredness/illness there should be a focus on recovery/regeneration. As Angie says earlier in the thread good recovery/regeneration allows greater volumes of hi intensity work. I guess this is partly since you feel better, even more importantly the avoidance of losing training time thro injury/illness. 1 week of flu equals a loss of 1 session per week of training over 7 weeks if you like.
The greater good is recovery, so training 5 days per week (say) with less chance of injury is better than 6 days with problems.

Interestingly running training is considered more challenging than bike training due to its weight bearing nature. In the endurance world 60 mins bike is considered equivelent to 40 mins running. So running tempo may help with weight control.

Final thought on weight is to use diet to control it a bit more, rather than depending on training volume. Once someone is a reasonably serious sportsman, doing 4 days + per week of proper training, they are doing it for sports reasons not weight loss.

I think Oldbloke is saying a lot of really good things here.
I noticed that a lot of people will do almost anything to avoid running tempo.
Let me share with you the history of why we started doing tempo on the bike. Or why I think we started doing tempo on the bike.
Would Charlie have ever done bike tempo with Ben or his other athletes? I don’t know for sure and it does not much matter anyway because it’s too late to ask him.
What I know for sure is there is no real replacement for running. Yes, tempo on the bike and in the pool are great without question. I have tried in the past to make sure that people understand it’s not either or. It’s ALWAYS best to run tempo but training is a constant negotiation when you are not in an ideal world.
What do I mean by that? Well , sometimes avoiding 45 minutes of travel x 2 when you have to work and study is precious time. So you do bike tempo and save the 45 minute travel x 2 for speed days.
What is an ideal training world?
Training on the grass for as much as possible. No , not 100 percent of the time because you need to have a track as well.
Training outdoors.
Training with a coach.
There are many training ideals but too many focus on the EXCELLENT in place of doing their best first.
Ie = recent events at York. Firing coaches who had everything at their disposal but in end what has happened?
Training with a large enough group that competition sorts out bullshit among the athletes.
We have many of our Canadians doing well as they are going into environments that give them ideal training situations or more ideal than our climate and population can give. ( i.e. usa scholar ship situations)
Yes, I go on and on about regeneration because I know this for sure and it’s easy to do once you get into the routine and habit of it.
EVERYONE thinks it’s all about the work all the time. And it is about hard work all the time but to work hard all the time you MUST put money back into your bank. You must restore. Nutritionally, and in any and all ways you can. The reason contrast baths are so extremely effective is they reset the nervous system. Most people are not even aware at what full recovery feels like because they are so used training under load.

Thursday 17/9
4 x reverse overhead throw
6 x med ball acc 1 and 2
Running Tempo
2 x 8 x 100m with 10 push ups at one end and 20 situps at the other end. Have been doing tempo on the bike and this was really tough. Will be doing one running tempo session a week now.

Friday 18/9
Rest
Hot n cold shower

Saturday 19/9
1 x 20m -4 mins rec
2 x 20m from push up start - 4 mins rec
3 x 50m ,40 + 8.30 rec

Squats- 3 x 5 x 135kg
Incline 3 x 5 x 85kg
Deadlift 5 x 60kg, 5 x 80 kg, 5 x 90 kg, 5 x 100kg, 5 x 110kg
Supine straight leg lift 4 x 10
abs 30sec/ 30 sec -10 mins
stretch
hot n cold shower

Felt good today running finally. I think last Saturday session where I lifted pb’s in all three main lifts took it out of me. That was the end of the max strength phase, am now in a maintenance ( 90% of max) phase until January.
Thanks to Ange and old bloke for their tips, I have taken them on board re regeneration and tempo. If recovery is not consistently good then I will definitely change my weekly structure. Cheers

Sunday 20/9
Rest

Monday 21/9
Bike Tempo
Low intensity med ball 13.00 mins
stretch
hot n cold shower
Have replaced med ball accelerations with low int med ball to keep the intensity lower on off days and for a bit more cardio work to help cut some kgs.

Tuesday 22/9
1 x 20m - 4 mins rec
2 x30m from push up start - 4.30 rec
2 x 50m, 40 + 8.30 rec
3 x 30m run As
4 x 10 hurdle walk overs
abs 30/30 for 10 mins
stretch
hot n cold shower

felt as I ran really good today , the low volume of running is difficult mentally as feel as though could do more. Am not injured and now running well so will stick with it.

Wed 23/9

weights
squats 3 x 5 x 135kg
bench 3 x 5 x 102.5kg
cleans 5 x 3 x 60kg
chin ups 8, 7
shoulder press 2 x 8 x 50kg
hams 4 x 10
abs 30/30 for 10 mins
plyos 3 x jump down and 3 hops
stretch
Am in maintenance now for weight so lifting 90% of my max, feel a lot fresher from this.

Thursday 24/9
med ball
4 x reverse overhead throw
6 x acc 1 & 2
Running tempo
2 x 9 x 100m with 10 pu at one end and 20 su at the other. Still a tough session for me but think by adding a running tempo it is improving my posture and general endurance in my legs as opposed to the bike which is non specific.

Thursday 24/9
med ball
4 x reverse overhead
6 x acc 1 and 2
tempo 2 x 9 x 100mm 10 pu at one end and 20 sit ups at the other.
Enjoying the running tempo but realising how generally unfit I have become,

Friday 25/9
Rest

Saturday 26/9
2 x 20m - 4.30 rec
2 x 30 m push up start- 6 mins rec
2 x 50m 40 + 12 mins rec

Weights
squats 3 x 5 x 135kg
Bench 3 x 5 x 102.5kg
cleans 5 x 3 x 60kg
hams 4 x 10
abs 30/30 10 mins
stretch
Hot and cold shower

Felt quite good running again and the maintenance weights is taking less out of me.
Have one more week of SPP1 and am thinking of keeping the speed day the same and the speed endurance session increase distance by 20m each week to get from 50m to 150m, and hold 150m for six weeks leading into an important race in December, OR to start at 300m and come down to 150m and hold the 150m for six weeks… not quite sure which way to go… would appreciate some ideas and critique. cheers.

Sunday 27/9
Rest

Monday 28/9
Bike tempo
Low intensity Medball
Stretch
Felt a bit tired today after having an unexplained dizzy spell yesterday, but feeling better today re dizziness. Would like to hear ideas from others re progressing from SPP1 to SPP2.

Tuesday 29/9
2 x 20m - 4 mins rec
2 x 30 push up start- 6 mins rec
2 x 50m 10.30 rec
Felt really good today then on the last 50m run as I was 30m past the line I strained my left calf, not sure how this happened. A bit pissed off, hope its not bad, will ice and contrast showers and try and keep it loose. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Don’t contrast shower, massage or move the calf for the first couple of days, as this will increase bleeding and slow down healing.

Wednesday 30/9
Low Intensity Med ball circuit, upper body only
Upper body weights only
Bench 3 x 5 x 102kg
Chin ups 8,8,7
Shoulder press 3 x 5x 52.5kg
lat pulldown 2 x 8 x 70kg
dips 15,10
hip ext 4 x 10
abs 30/30 for 10 mins
stretch.
Calf is so much better today, will stay off it till Friday then work on rehabbing. When I do a straight leg hamstring stretch with toes pulled back it brings great relief. I remember Charlie saying something like work above and below the injury site when rehabbing.

Thursday 1/10- Sunday 4/10
Spent time in Fiji, did some strengthening and massage work but basically ate food and lied around the pool.
The rest actually helped the calf I think
Monday 5/10
Bike Tempo
Low intensity med ball
Tuesday 6/10
warm up
drills
2 x 3 x 50m at approx 70% effort on teh track
Calf was ok but tightened a little towards the end

Wednesday 7/10
Squats 3 x 5 x 135kg
Bench 3 x 5 x 102.5kg
Cleans 5 x 3 x 60kg
Chins 8,8
Shoulder pres 2 x 8 x 50kg
Hams 4 x 10
abd 30/30 for 10 mins
Plyos jump down from 60cm box then three hops x 3
Stretch
Hot and cold shower.
Calf is improving each day with a little stress then recovery.

Thursday 8/10
TEMPO
10 X 100 WITH 10 PU AT ONE end and 20 sit ups at other
2 mins rest.
Wanted to do another 10 but calf tightened up after six so called it.
Abs 30/30 for 10 mins
Friday
Hot and cold shower
SATURDAY
aFTER WARM UP AND FIRST RUN THROUGH IN SPIKES CALF STRAINED AS BAD A FIRST TIME AGAIN, very frustrating, thought I had rehabed it well.
Sunday 11/10
Bike Tempo
Low int medball
stretch
Been icing calf regularly will start hot and cold tomorrow and massage.

Well, what a shit two weeks I’ve had, strained my calf twice in two weeks when I thought I had rehabbed it well. Then got the flu for about four days. My immune system certainly is not healthy. Am tinkering with my diet to see if it makes any difference.
I am nine weeks out from my main 100m race and haven’t run further than 50m in training and that was three weeks ago with any intensity.
I am contemplating starting back with the following for my speed end session:

1. 3 x 3 x50m with walk back rec and ten minutes bet sets
  2. 3 x 2 x 80m with walk back rec and ten minutes bet sets
    3-4. 3 x 150m @ 90-95% effort with 15 mins rec
    5-8. 2 x 150m @ 95-100% effort with 20 mins rec
    OR Alternatively
  3. 4 x 150m @ 80% WITH 6 mins rec
  4. 4 x 150m @ 85% with 8 mins rec
  5. 3 x 150m @90% with 12 mins rec
  6. 3 x 150m @ 95% with 15 mins rec
    5-8. 2 x 150m @ 95-100% with 20 mins rec
    All thoughts/suggestions or variations are appreciated.

How did you strain your calf? That is a nasty injury and one you need to take very seriously i.e don’t rush with using it if and when you don’t need to.
And diet will make a huge difference. How can you even contemplate that idea that it might make a difference?
I am curious what you are thinking here.
Training won’t mean crap if you are not able to repeat any of the workouts.
That’s lesson 101. You need to be there to get better.
Right?

Yes, a nice reminder Ange “you need to be there to get better”.GOLD…with that in mind I will take it a day at a time but like to have abasic outline to work from.
I strained my calf doing a speed drill of 50m and easing down after I had finished.
I am tinkering with a low carb High Fat diet with incresed carbs around training times. I have had the flu four times in the last 4 months.

over training??

Good luck because I could not do it. I tried from September to December and I could not do it. I have discovered it might not be something track people are able to do and there may be ( I am sure this is true) an individual variance here and age etc. I think you need to make sure you are eating enough high quality proteins ever meal, have proper snacks that are ultra nutritious ( veggies with meat or cheese from cow or goat ) , routinely supplement with protein shakes or smoothies before, during or after training as well as before bed. This is a brief summary of what I believe and have learned from years of experimenting and trying. Water in take is also important and you need to have things like yams and brown rice and sweet potato to ensure complex carbs. I’ve also learned dark leafy greens are a home run food item in my diet. And you need to hold this pattern for sometime before you start to get the real benefits. Stay away from simple foods of any sort esp. in the beginning and beans are also magic foods. THE most recent big change in my diet has been a combo of kefir, yogurt, cottage cheese with fresh fruit and almonds and oatmeal ( from high quality granola). It was my belief that my digestion was messed up from huge chronic stress. Once I assumed this thought I went about healing it and it’s been hugely beneficial. I Hope this helps.